SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

How would you update this modest colonial ranch exterior

melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Here is a home that meets most of the criteria for our move-up search, but it's not really my style. I think it has some potential, however. I'm not sure if calling it a "Colonial Ranch" is quite right, but it's from the 50s and I don't know how else to describe the entry.

My dream home would be MCM style, I've fantasized about owning one since I was a kid, but those are few and far between, immensely popular, and near the top of our budget (or need everything updated or aren't in good locations). Ranches are much more common and more likely to be what we end up with.

One of the things I like about this particular ranch is the open and welcoming feel of the entry on this otherwise modest exterior. However, I don't like the door shutter trim or colonial trim above the door. Would sidelights and a transom window around the door update the exterior without being garish...or are there better ways to sensitively update the entry? What would you do?

ETA --> couldn't get screenshot to post and updated text to explain more about this house:

Comments (30)