SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_paterson72

Starting backyard from scratch

Ames P
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm trying to come up with ideas for hardscape/landscape for the backyard of the house we've just purchased. It's so exciting to have a blank slate instead of our current townhouse patio - but also kind of overwhelming because I have too many ideas to fit into one yard! I know we'll likely need a designer/contractor eventually, but we can't hire anyone to inspect/design anything until after the construction is finished, and I'd really love to clarify my ideas to explain to the designer. Can I hear your ideas for what I could do with this space?

We're in the Sacramento CA area, zone 9. We want a pavilion/gazebo to add shade/rain proof, probably out near the back so we can enjoy the view. The yard faces north, and there's a dropoff to a downslope that we'll definitely need a fence to keep kids/dog from falling down. There's a pretty large side yard as well facing east. We love BBQing, and are expecting to have a couple kids in the next few years and maybe a dog. I just can't figure what kind of layout would look good out the house windows. Where would you put a covered pavilion and patio and turf?

View of the side of the house and future side-yard

Comments (10)