SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristigole

Help! Painted walls very light gray but what trim color to complement?

kristigole
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My first time posting and hope someone can help!

I wanted to paint my downstairs a light gray, both because it's a great neutral to match with our decor and because it would lighten it up. After trying 9 samples, I picked a wall shade and went with it: Behr's Campfire Ash (not really a gray but looked gray in my house).

However, now the walls clash with the trim. We have a creamy offwhite trim/entertainment center cabinets/kitchen cabinets and with the new wall color it looks like a yellow or dirty white. My husband suggests painting all of that white (and I'd have to try to find the right white next!), but I wonder if it would be easier or better to just try a darker gray for the walls instead. (nighttime pics, but that's when we're home the most!)

Torn over which option:

1) Keep as-is, but we are both not pleased with how it turned out (in addition to clashing with the trim, the current color looks much more baby blue than I anticipated, which also clashes a bit with the other more neutral grays in our decor like the couch, chairs, curtains) ...

2) Paint the trim white (note: the rest of the downstairs rooms and the stairwell, and all upstairs has this off-white trim everywhere, so the white trim would only be in these 3 main downstairs rooms)

3) Paint the walls a darker or different gray that works better with the existing off-white trim (the con being it will darken the room again if I go with a darker shade; I want a light and bright room which is why I went so light)

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus