SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medeirosp

need help with mass planting of hydrangeas

medeirosp
6 years ago

Hi,

I just finished dividing some hydrangeas to create a mass planting. I now have two rows of a total of 13 hydrangeas, spaced app. 5' apart. I took down a maple tree that was just not letting in enough sun for that area. The area was part of a very large shade garden but the hydrangeas wouldn't put out more than two or three blooms. The tree separated two hydrangea planting areas...3 to the left, (2 in front 1 in back) and 5 to the right, (2 in front, 3 in back). Once I took the tree down and got rid of some shrubs that just didn't work there, I was left with a 13' wide by 12' deep area. After 3 weeks of wondering what to do, I decided to add the additional 5 hydrangeas to tie the two sections together. Now I'm trying to decide what to put in front of them. I have Japanese forest grass in front of the 5 hydrangeas to the right but now that I'm getting sun until 1pm, the grass is getting a little faded. I divided some autumn joy sedum and put 5 of them in front of the newly planted hydrangeas. They look good but something is missing. I'm also not sure if I should remove the Japanese forest grass and add more sedum there. I should also add that I have rhododendrons, viburnum, ink berry, and large sweet spire in the backdrop. Behind those plants are some beautiful pine trees. Also, the bed is to the south. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Paul in MA

Comments (9)