SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_gin

Need ideas to remodel kitchen

bob_gin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Need ideas for my kitchen . Cabinet clolirs and layout.

Comments (43)

• User
    6 years ago

Hand over 50K to a local kitchen designer to replace what you have with taller cabinets and a few other tweaks. Plus new floors,electrical, plumbing, etc.

• User
    6 years ago

Budget amount planned ?

• Related Discussions

newbie in remodeling, need kitchen ideas

Q

Comments (3)
    Before you do anything, get a structural engineer to come out to consult on whether the wall between the kitchen and living space is load-bearing. If it is, it may require some fairly expensive structural remediation to achieve your more open look. But if not, then pulling down that wall to perhaps put in an island instead would be easy. I would think about building in a bench with drawers for additional storage under the window, then put in a round table for the breakfast area. It would save some space vs. having four chairs. As for extending the cabinets, hard to say from these photos. You probably have room for a tall pantry cabinet and a stacked oven/micro cabinet, but beyond that I'd leave space for your eat-in kitchen. After the structural engineer, hire a kitchen designer to maximize your storage and make the kitchen more functional.
    ...See More

Help! :) Need some ideas on what to do with kitchen remodel gym

Q

Comments (13)
    I also have similar cabinets I chose to keep and work with because they are real wood and in great condition and quite frankly I didn’t want to spend $15k on new cabinets that aren‘t even real wood. . As I’m picking out new items I’m finding that they are really growing on me. Makes me feel like my Mom, she loves her oak! I’m doing a lighter beige colored counter and farmhouse sink.
    ...See More

Remodeling Kitchen - Need backsplash ideas

Q

Comments (43)
    I love green tile and have bookmarked these two: Soft green: https://www.tilebar.com/browse-by-project/pool-tiles/loft-spa-green-polished-3x6-glass-tile.html Fabulous Moroccan green tiles (seen on Junglalow where I fell madly in love with them): http://www.badiadesign.com/productimage.php?product_id=1055&current_image=3 You can see the image of them in her kitchen here: https://blog.justinablakeney.com/2015/08/boho-kitchen-reveal-the-whole-enchilada.html 
    ...See More

Need ideas! What to do with this wall for kitchen remodel?

Q

Comments (14)
    remove the whole thing. no ledge. take it all the way back to where the other wall is. maybe you arch that opening or have that opening tie into the rest of the room? can you take up the ceiling in the kitchen too? since you're redoing the whole kitchen, get a designer out there who can figure it out. not enough info for us to comment on that. get a structural engineer out there to explain to you where the actual supports come in. maybe you could remove the whole wall and do a beam of some sort.
    ...See More
  • bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

10k. Do work myself

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

Check out the Kitchens Forum.

• er612
    6 years ago

Can you post additional photos? Interested to see the wall opposite the sink.

Westport Island House · More Info

• User
    6 years ago

Layout looks functional and would not recommend changing it. Recommend you go to big box hardware store to calculate amount needed for new range, air exhaust/microwave, refrigerator, flooring, hiring an electrician to add outlets and lighting. Then see how much more you will need for cabinets. Add 20% for unforeseen problems such a dry-rot, gas conversion, termites, re-piping for sure, opps we have knob and tube wiring and need Romex. And there you go. You may have some labor savings on the install, doing it yourself; $2K for cabinet install for example.

bob_gin thanked User
  • arcy_gw
    6 years ago

What's behind the 'refrigerator wall'? Is expansion in budget other wise the most cost efficient is to leave plumbing and electrical as is which pretty much leaves your lay out as is. 10k even doing all the labor with the need for all new cabinets will be tricky.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

If you are interested in modifying the layout, the kitchen forum here is your best bet. Tell them how you live/use a kitchen, and provide measurements along with a photo or two.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

Your upper cabinets should go higher. Are you planning to have them custom made or buy custom? Are you planning to work on the floor and the ceiling, too?

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Keep the same appliances & layout; Ikea cabinets, new countertops & flooring.

• User
    6 years ago

Your appliances will be more than 10K. Double your budget, at a minimum. And that is DIY, with IKEA.

• acm
    6 years ago

Oh come on, I spent a lot of research time and am pretty picky, and I don't think I spent even $5k on appliances. This is the real world, and not everybody expects a Wolf range or whatever. Plus, since I already see a stainless fridge and range, there's no reason to think he needs appliances at all.

However, even with Ikea cabinets and stock counters, I think you'll quickly spend the whole budget without having done anything about the flooring or changed any plumbing or electric bits (can you do that stuff too?). I'd consider painting all the grayish parts white, to match the boxes, and hold out for another year or two to have a bit more of a buffer before getting started.

Meantime, if you want to brainstorm layout, we need a photo of the fridge wall and a sketch of the floorspace, including doors and windows, as well as hints about adjoining spaces.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

IKEA -- when their sale is on twice a year, and for appliances, I'd shop sales, too.

Other than that, I'd head over to the kitchen forum, first reading the threads on what information to supply to get the best feedback:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2843508/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first

• flopsycat1
    6 years ago

Whatever you decide, you clearly need more storage for the items to the left and right of the stove. Or you need to purge aggressively. Improvements can be made at any budget level, beginning with decluttering, which is free. DIY cabinet painting and new hardware, all the way up to a complete gutting. Establishing a reasonable budget and a plan is the best way to start. Good luck with your project.

bob_gin thanked flopsycat1
  • nosoccermom
    6 years ago

ACM, because this is (also) posted on Gardenweb's Home Decorating forum.

Which, BTW, is a friendlier place than Design Dilemma, judging from some responses on other threads.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

Are the cabinets functional or in poor shape? ( I see doors hanging open, do they not close or stay closed?)

The essential layout looks okay and if the cabinets are in good shape, for 10K I might keep them, and I would concentrate on the following

Additional storage around the refrigerator area, if you can do that.

New countertops and a single, slightly smaller sink primarily centered under the left window to give you more prep space between the sink and stove.

A new floor

Updated and additional lighting including under cabinet lighting for the countertops.

Pullouts in any cabinets where that would increase usability.

That would take every bit of $10K where I live.

bob_gin thanked palimpsest
  • Condo Home
    6 years ago

Honestly, I think it's a cute kitchen. I would probably replace the sink and the floor and leave it at that. You could re-paint the cabinet boxes if you wanted to, but I don't think I would spend $10,000+ on remodeling. Your ceiling is gorgeous!

bob_gin thanked Condo Home
  • deegw
    6 years ago

Don't pay any attention to Sophie Wheeler. He likes to be the board wet blanket :) There's no way you need to spend 10k on appliances. You can get a complete appliance package for less than 2k.

Sears kitchen packages

Do you have storage issues or do you just like to have things on the counter?

I would consider storing or moving your collection. Your things are cute but they really aren't adding anything to the space and there are too many to be properly appreciated.

I like Pal's suggestions for updates and changes.

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I didn't do anything but declutter and add a cabinet and panel around the fridge and remove the pattern from the floor. I think essentially it has a charm and if the cabinets work okay I would keep them rather than trying to do everything on a limited budget

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I would plan on doing the kitchen in stages. Let's say you wanted your upper wall cabinets taller and in an off white and your base cabinets in a wood to match the ceiling. You then need to decide if you want a full overlay door, an inset door or a parcial overlay like you have now. Next, door style. Flat like you have now or other.

After those decisions I would first focus on replacing all the uppers for stage one. For a parcial DIY savings check into Conestoga. I have used them several times and it's a great quality rta that you can get finished or unfinished. I would get the factory finish in an off White for the wall cabinets. If painted go for paint grade maple.

Next, when budget allows concentrate on the base cabinets, countertop and sink. You can save A LOT of money buying your choice of wood cabinetry from Conestoga unfinished and doing that bit yourself. Add few deep drawers and you will be glad you did.

Lastly, do the floor when budget allows. And, lighting.

Before you start you will need your appliances or at least have measurements of those you want down the road. You can't always trust online appliance dimensions so physically go to a store and measure. You will need to have a vision of the kitchen you hope to have. Look at a lot of pictures that have a similar ceiling and pitch.

Edited: lighting would go into stage One.

bob_gin thanked just_terrilynn
  • arcy_gw
    6 years ago

I too wondered if the door /drawer fronts could just be replaced..but look at their size..this is a miniature kitchen. I agree you don't need anywhere near 5k for appliances. The cabinets..well even DYI they will be close to half the budget I think. The ceiling is fabulous at least there is that!!!

bob_gin thanked arcy_gw
  • bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes that brings up a question what color cabinets would go best with the ceiling

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cabinets need replacing door won't stay shut and have storage issue In process of decluttering ALS wonder if I should take off the peninsula and put cabinets along that wall

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What ideas on lighting not sure what to do with lighting with a ceiling like this

• palimpsest
    6 years ago

I would probably do Cable Lighting.

bob_gin thanked palimpsest
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Bob, I couldn't find a good match but maybe you can get some inspiration from these. Also, I didn't edit styles as we have no clues as to the rest of your home for what would fit, or go with the rest.

What is the floor color/type leading up to the kitchen?

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carpet in a blue green color

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

You are a man of many words Bob lol.

Are you going to run the kitchen floor into other areas? What did you have in mind for the kitchen floor?

How about a vinyl plank wood look floor? It's nice and practical as it can get wet, doesn't scratch easy and pretty easy to install. I like the coloration of this floor in a vinyl plank.

Sorry the picture won't go through. I'll try again later.

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was think a plank in vinyl or tile in a neutral color. Tan or gray. Prob tan with the ceiling color

• User
    6 years ago

I did new appliances for under $1200. Including delivery and install. If your kitchen was my kitchen, I would likely paint the cabinets, get some nice hardware, change the lights and do the floor is wood look tile.

• deegw
    6 years ago

If you did cream cabinets, a calm porcelain slate tile would look nice in your space. And it should look nice with your carpet as well. Can you post some other photos of the space? One of the fridge wall and also the other side of the peninsula would be really helpful.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Bob, could you recess the frig and do a recessed shelf for a microwave? If you could recess it maybe you could then have 15" storage cabinetry somewhat flush on each side for more storage and a place for a microwave. Wish you would post pictures of the rest of your space. Maybe you got all the info you needed.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Oh, upon reflection of my "stages" suggestions above, I think the lighting would need to go into the stage 1 slot along with doing the upper wall cabinets. Depending on what you pick and if you used a wood slotted ceiling electric line cover and or anything that might run behind ,on top or around cabinets would need doing at the first stage.

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So the wall behind refrigerator is a closet in living room and small pantry

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Won't let me load anymore pictures

• bob_gin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• deegw
    6 years ago

Thanks for the new picture. I think justerrilyn's suggestion to recess the fridge could work for you. It will give you more clearance and make the room appear more spacious. It looks like you have plenty of room to carve some space out of the pantry. Plus you have the space to make your new uppers taller and that will give you more storage.

Recess fridge

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes to recessing the fridge, or if buying a new one, get a counter depth model.

is that closet space behind it a pantry? if not, can you make it one? it would give you a lot more storage and help to clear off the countertops.

if getting new cabs, get taller ones and something maybe a bit more modern looking. Perhaps flat front, full layover (you won't see any hinges or frames of the body).

If you like the cabinet set-up and the boxes are in decent shape, then reface them. have new doors/drawers made. then you could add boxes above them (as in this pic) with glass fronts to display your 'things'. they will be cleaner and look better in a set up like this: **I'll have to post it later. Houzz is having photo issues recently**

• rockybird
    6 years ago

I'm going to guess you have a midcentury modern home. I LOVE that ceiling! I dont know why people say you need new appliances. That stove and microwave dont look very old to me.

First thing I'd do is remove everything from the the top of the cabinets. It's hard to do much with 10k, but I'd see if the cabinets can be repaired and painted. THen I would put in a new floor and a new counter. If not, I'd look into ikea and expand my budget. I'd personally go with white or maybe a light mint cabinet color. I'd be afraid wood cabinets would conflict with the ceiling.

• nicole___
    6 years ago

I completed a similar kitchen remodel last year. I did use a counter depth frig. It ALL totalled just under $10k. DIY.

Ruvati sink, Kohler Worth faucet.

Dal porcelain floor tile & backsplash.

Liberty Bundled Reed handles.

Kraftmaid rope crown moulding.

You could use different granite or color combos. They had tons of Class 1 granites to choose from. The floor is porcelain tile in a patio design. The cabinets are RTA.

Just to throw some ideas out there for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one we did the year before, it was also under $10k:

It has a butlers pantry back in the corner. I saved money on the frig. by going w/ a standard depth.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Bob, thanks for the clue as to the style of your home. Here are more pictures for inspiration.

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago