SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bantaj

Floor drain for washing machine overflow drying out

bantaj
6 years ago

I just replaced my washing machine and think I found the source of the regular flies we were finding in our home.
The washing machine is in a plastic pan (like this one) with a drain in it that sits atop a drain in the laundry room floor.

The washing machine ejects dirty water as it should through the waste drain in the wall so the floor drain, since it's designed to only gets water in the event of a leak or hose burst, does not get regular water down it.

The floor drain has a P trap plumbed under the floor that I can see in the ceiling of the basement. I poured water into the visible drain after getting rid of the old machine and noticed there was no water in it and could hear noise of water running through the drain lines when flushing an upstairs toilet. I saw flies float up once the trap was filled which makes me think this is the issue.

What is the recommended solution here?
I've seen devices that act as a one-way valve and also see something that periodically drips water into the drain to keep the P trap full. Also seen suggestions to pour water down there even week or so and put mineral oil in to slow evaporation but neither of these will work as the washing machine site directly atop the drain.
Any suggestions? I'm tempted to run a flexible pvc hose to the drain and up the back side of the washing machine so we can feed water down every periodically but there must be a better solution.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)