SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hope625

Contractor $100,000 over budget on major remodel-- options???

hope625
6 years ago

(Thank you in advance for any advice-- I know that this is a long post.)

We're in the final stages of a major remodel that involved adding a second story to and renovating an old craftsman. The initial estimate that we received from our general contractor was $220,000, and we are getting close to $320,000 (or perhaps even more, as we haven't had a bill recently-- more on this below), and he is also ~6 months behind schedule at this point.

Some relevant details:

1) We had him over multiple times to work out the estimate. His initial estimate of $220,000 was in line with at least one other bid that we received and lower than at least one other estimate. He's done good work for family and friends, which is the primary reason that we went with him. His work does seem to be high quality.

2) Each month, we discussed the budget and told him how much we had left in our construction loan; he repeatedly told us that we were on budget for several months, and at our request, he provided us with an estimate of the remaining cost mid-way through the project, which indicated we were right on budget.

3) In early summer-- after we had already made some decisions that we probably wouldn't have made if we knew we were so far over budget (e.g. we'd already purchased our slab and purchased a steam generator for the shower)-- he, at our request, provided us with an updated estimate. That estimate was for $65,000 over our original budget. We were upset, but told him we would find a way to make it work, in part by doing some of the work ourselves, and we indicated that this was absolutely as much as we could go over budget and that there's no more money once that's gone. We acknowledge that there were perhaps some unexpected issues that came up given that it was a major reno, although it's hard for us to know what should have been expected versus a surprise (nothing seemed all that surprising or unusual to us though...).

4) To reduce costs, we've done all of the interior painting, put in all of the wood floors (1100 sqft) upstairs, tiled 2 of the 3 rooms that required tile, done 75% of the upstairs trim, dealt with the yard and landscaping, and handled all remaining trash removal for the past few months, etc. Basically, we've done everything that we could reasonably manage that was still left to do after he gave us the estimate starting we'd be over budget by 65k.

5) ~6 weeks ago, when we paid his bill that month, we let him know that there was $25,000 of the $65,000 left. We also very clearly told him that we would not be paying him anymore until work is done, and to his credit, he hasn't given us a bill since then. At that point he indicated that likely wouldn't be enough, and he sort of partially abandoned us. He'll deal with things when I call, help with tasks that I indicate we can't handle, and he has left us his tools to use, but he's not regularly working on the house anymore.

6) The house should have been done in March and it's nearing completion now, and will likely be done early October. Our construction loan is ending soon, so we need to refinance ASAP, and his poor time management has put us in a very stressful situation with regard to this as well.

7) Nothing major has changed in our plans, at no time have we been asked to approve anything that cost more than what's budgeted, and I'm not even counting some of the items that we purchased early in the process in our total cost. Importantly, nothing at all-- except for the fact that we've done a ton of work ourselves-- has changed since he told us we were 65k over.

As a final note, we expected to go over ~20-25% or so and were prepared for that, so I don't think that we're being too unreasonable. But who has an extra $100,000+ sitting around!?! I also, perhaps naively, don't think that he has intentionally done this, although he has refused to take responsibility for the situation (he blames the plumbers, cost of materials, cost of tile installer, etc., even though that stuff is coming in right on budget; it's really his labor that's through the roof). He's nearing retirement, he had a heart attack a few years ago, and I think that he really overestimated his current abilities, which is what has caused things to take so long and caused his labor costs to go so far over budget.

I need advice! What should I do? Pay him what's left of the extra 65k that we implicitly agreed to earlier in the summer, which is probably ~15k at this point? Add up his profit and deduct that from the amount that we're over? Try to work out some other agreement? I don't think that either of us will be inclined to go to court, but I guess you never know. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for making it through this long, detailed post!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals