SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jserenson

Blueberry bushes with red leaves - HELP !

jserenson
6 years ago

I have a blueberry patch in Connecticut where I have a dozen bushed that I planted over the last three years. This year I added 5 bushes and over the last month their leaves have turned very red. When I planted them I mixed loam, dirt and sand as instructed. I have drip line around them that waters them for 20 minutes twice every other day. I just tested the soil and the pH was 6 and the nutrients were low, so I added a tablespoon of soil acidifier and 2.5 tablespoons of berry fertilizer per plant (per the instructions) and watered it in well. For good measure, I also sprayed all the plants with neem oil. I am hopeful that this will help get them back on track.

The newer trees (which I bought at home depot) are almost all red at this point and I am noticing that even the 3 year old trees are starting to get red on the leaves. The older plants have splotches of red with dots which makes me wonder if this is a fungus, not an acid or nutrient deficiency. I posted pictures of four of the trees on this thread - 2 trees I planted this spring that are mostly red now and 2 three year old threes that only have some red starting now.

If you have any advice on diagnosing and treating this, I would REALLY appreciate it !!!

Comments (6)