SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loonar29

How do we finish opening from Kitchen to Dining Room?

loonar29
6 years ago

We opened up a wall between our kitchen & dining room to capture more daylight from the bay window in our dining room into our main living area.

The only way to enter the dining room originally was thru the french doors directly opposite our front door entrance. I have removed the doors as we will never use them and I like the flow between rooms better without the doors.

Here's the problem: I think the opening into the dining room from the kitchen side looks exactly like what happened (someone just cut out a hole....me!!). I want it to look more like the house was built this way. Should I cut the remainder of the wall up to the ceiling and blend the ceilings together. If I do that, should I then do the same with what was the french door entry?

DH wants to just leave them at the height they are so he doesn't have to mess around with crown removal and patching anything that could be under the crown. We also would need to move a bit of electrical into the attic. Neither are good reasons not to proceed with whatever the general consensus is. If we leave them at "doorway" height, do we frame them with wood/trim or just drywall and paint?

Thanks to anybody who can offer their opinions. We have been stuck on this topic for quite a while!

Wall cut out from kitchen side into dining room

View showing wall cut out and entry where doors were

View from front entry hall into dining room

I should have mentioned we are leaning towards a less traditional and more contemporary look in case it makes a difference. We are scraping popcorn look off of ceiling, removing wainscoting, furnishings will be replaced, new kitchen is gloss white slab with sea pearl counters and medium wood tone floors (lvp).

Comments (9)