SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katvee

A Wrinkle in Plumeria

Katherine
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just when we thought summer was over, it turns out in my area of Ontario we're experience a second summer. We're talking the high 20's.

Last time I was on here, my plumeria had suffered a fall and then the leaves started turning yellow and falling off. I'm fairly certain that because of cooler weather coming in, it was just shedding it's way into dormancy. Most of the leaves came off with the exception of these little guys in the photo below.

This is my second attempt at growing plumerias. My first cutting died before summer even started last year. This year I bought two cuttings. One didn't really survive with the exception of a small piece that I cut away before root rot set in, in the vain hope it'll revive come next year.

My only other cutting had a single flower and huge leaves and I'd like to do everything I can to ensure it survives.

One side of the stem seems to have more give than the other. I made a tiny nick and white sap came out so I don't think it's stem rot. The upper parts of the plumeria don't show any wrinkling the same way the bottom half does. I did extract the plumeria from the pot just to be sure of the no stem rot diagnosis and while there aren't many roots (tan in color), it doesn't appear to be the case. I put the plant outside because its 35+ degrees out here right now.

I don't want to inflict any more damage than I already have. At this moment, I'm thinking I need to give it more water. And if I do, how much until my cutting goes back to it's former glory? Can anyone confirm?

Also, when's the best time to stop watering completely before winter sets in?

Comments (11)