SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinballpoet

Swamp White Oak?

Craig Miller
6 years ago

Hello...

I recently planted a 2" diameter Swamp White Oak...or at least that is what the nursery said it was when I bought on an end of summer sale at the end of August to replace a Black Walnut that had accidentally been cut down by a tree service in July about 5 feet away from the stump. I have two questions as I am slowly learning all I can about tree care...

1. Is this actually a White Swamp Oak? I planted a smaller seedling Swamp White that was purchased from a local Menards for $10 and is about .5" diameter and about 6 feet tall, however its leaves are twice if not more in size than the 2" inch diameter tree. (attached are some photos of the tree) I can't seem figure out if this tree was sold properly at the nursery. In fact when I google search, the leaves almost look closer to a Swamp Chestnut. I am hoping it is a Swamp White since the area the tree is planted in is a low spot in the yard and does hold water as it is all thick clay. Any opinions on if this is a Swamp White Oak even though its leaves are half the size of a younger version of it?

2. I want to make sure the tree is able to grow properly as I have had trees with multiple leaders split during Midwest storms. The tree is currently growing into two main leaders about 10-12 feet up. So the two leaders are roughly 12-14" above the fork right now. The tree already has a significant curve about 6 feet up due to the nursery pruning once to a single leader. The "thicker" leader at the top curves the tree even further in that direction and also then splits itself into 3. The less "thick" leader is the straighter of the two and about an inch or two shorter. Should I prune the thicker leader that splits back to the joint and leave the thinner one as the main leader? Or should I leave the tree grow as is? Or prune off the thinner leader and leave the thicker one that curves the tree more and then prune that leader from 3 branches to one? See pics....

Here you can see the curve in the trunk already...

Here are the leaves which are half the size of my Swamp White seedling...

Bark to help identify....

Here are the "U" shaped leaders...

Thanks in advance...

Comments (13)