SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann9bnapa

9-20-17 Rose Collages - Part III

Ann9BNCalif
6 years ago

I returned from a trip and found the following multi-colored roses in full flush. I also included some David Austins that display a range of colors.

Hope you enjoy them!

Earlier this spring, Candice seemed to be a yellow-based rose, with colors similar to the middle bottom photo. After a number of heat waves, Candice appears to be more of a striped rose with varying shades of pink with white. It still doesn't have much fragrance but it's one of my longest lasting roses on the bush and I'm enjoying her variability.

I got Neil Diamond from Roses Unlimited in April. It established very quickly for an HT and consistently produces very fragrant blooms. I gave away Rock 'N Roll because it was too dense and thorny. I love ND's HT growth habit, putting out lovely blooms on individual stems.

Cabana was having a near-death experience when it arrived as a very late, bare root plant from J&P in May. All the canes were blackened and dead. The roots were gray and shriveled; there was just a tiny green nub that was still alive. After cutting off all the canes and trimming the roots, I planted the green nub in a pot and it started to take off after a couple of weeks. Cabana is not fragrant yet as I had expected, but it's producing a lot of cheerful blooms.

Paradise Found is not my most prolific rose but it's very fragrant and makes a great cut flower. It's planted next to Double Delight and the two together are quite attractive.

Blue Mist is a miniature rose planted along a pathway. It apparently reverts to a white version as shown below. It's mildly fragrant and bees love it!

I have two Molineux planted together which looks great. This fragrant DA rose produces a wide range of colors. The fragrance seems to intensify in hot weather.

My Strawberry Hill is now about four feet tall and quite lanky; I'll need to support the canes somehow by next year. The blooms are fragrant but don't make good cut flowers. There's always a range of colors, especially when the weather cools off.

I got L.D. Braithwaite as a tiny band last year and grew it in a pot. It really didn't like direct sun so I planted it under my pine tree where All American Magic and Lady Bird are also planted. L.D. loves this shady location and regularly produces blooms, which are sadly, not fragrant at all. L.D. recently produced this pink bloom, which was a nice surprise. My Winchester Cathedral sometimes produces partially pink blooms due to its Mary Rose ancestry.

Last one! Pat Austin barely grew at all last year because she was planted in a low spot that collected water. I moved her and she's doing much better, producing lovely fragrant blooms. The blooms don't last long at this point, but I'm hoping my PA will grow up to be like the PA in the center photo. I took that pic at the Celebration for Old Roses last May; that fabulous version of PA came from the one and only, Vintage Gardens. It looks better than any examples I've seen from DA's catalogs or website!

Happy rose gardening! I hope the fall season will be kind to all our roses.

Ann

Comments (22)