SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

Differing rates of African Violet Growth

aegis1000
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had heard of, ... and experienced, to some level, the differing growth rates of various African Violet varieties, but I’ve recently been experiencing these differences in the extreme …

You may recall that I put down leaves for Optimara Loretta some 20 months ago or so, along with leaves for Optimara Harlequin, Montana, and Yellowstone.

All of the varieties produced babies in a reasonable time, so that by August of last year, I was offering to send extra plantlets to whoever wanted them.

I gave away a few Optimara Loretta plantlets, and kept a couple for myself. In a few months time, all of the plantlets raised from that series of propagation had grown well and bloomed, except for Optimara Loretta.

In the meantime, I put additional leaves down in November of 2016, and was able to separate babies into their own pots around July of this year. Those separated plants have grown well and guess what, … have begun to bloom. Of the 10 or so varieties yielding plant starts, (3) have bloomed … and another (3) have well-developed buds.

Meanwhile, my (2) Optimara Loretta starts, which are now a little larger than the typical semi-mini, still show no sign of budding or blooming.

I looked at my spreadsheet tracking of these plantlets …

March 2016 - Leaves have been received and planted.

May 2016 - Rabbit ears

August 2016 - Plantlets have been separated

September 2016 - Plantlets seem to be growing well

November 2016 - Waiting for bloom

December 2016 - Waiting for bloom

May 2017 - Still waiting for bloom

June 2017 - Still waiting on bloom

Finally, in July, I decided to purchase a blooming Optimara Loretta from Selective Gardener, because I was so invested in seeing some bloom from this variety.

The plant arrived in bloom … and is now coming into its second round of bloom. In the meantime, … still no bloom from the Optimara Loretta plant starts. They’re in the
same potting mix, get the same water and fertilizer, and the same amount of
light as the other plant starts. They look healthy. They’re just slow. I’ve never experienced anything like them.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!