SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jill_coopersmith

Light reflecting off micro-bevel on brand new Mirage EHW

Jill Coopersmith
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My Engineered HW floor was just installed to replace another Engineered HW after a flood in our home last January. Engineered is our only option because our home is on a concrete slab. I spent an enormous amount of time and energy choosing this new floor - the species, the color, and the finish. I selected Mirage, Maple, in Sonora finish, which is an expensive floor and has a reputation of being high quality. I looked at similar flooring installed in my neighbor's home (though a darker color) and thought I had a good idea of what the outcome would be.

Well, my new floor has what I refer to as "white stripes" between each plank. The issue appears to be that the light is reflecting differently off the beveled edge between each plank compared to the flat surface of each plank. Because we have a lot of light and a lot of windows, it means we literally have a striped floor. I have read about WLS - I don't think it's that. It's not dust between the planks. It is literally just the reflection of light. And I hate hate hate it.

In all of my years I have never seen a floor do this before, so I never would have thought to consider it or ask about it. I grew up with HW wood floors, my previous EHW floor (Kahrs) didn't do this, nor did I notice it on the sample board (same color) in my home, nor did I notice it on my neighbors floor, or any other floor I have ever had or seen.

So... calling all flooring experts.... Is this normal? Acceptable? Would you accept it like this? Would you want this in your own home? Do I have any recourse?

I have already had the flooring merchant come to the house and look. But it didn't seem to bother him at all. He did take pictures and they are going to file a claim with Mirage to have the floor inspected. But I am worried they are going to tell me "you picked it, this is normal."

Looking forward to opinions and feedback on this!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what the floor looks like from the other side, when you can't see the light reflecting on the micro-bevel, and I love it. You can see a little bit of the reflection on the left side of the picture, but from this angle it is not every single plank.

Comments (15)