SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
migreenthumb

Mutabilis: One Season On

I wished to share some photos and my limited experience thus far with this tender China in my erratic Zone 5b, particularly for Seil.

I picked up Mutabilis as a body bag at Menard's in Angola, IN. I figured that for five bucks, why not take a chance and see if it was even the right variety in the first place.

It grew well its first season and bloomed off and on regularly as a China ought. By the end of the season, it had black spot (as does nearly everything remotely remonant here).

Our winter 2016 descended properly with good snows and consistently cold temperatures. Unfortunately, as 2017 approached and passed, winter became "open" with rains, forties and fifties followed by teens and winds with minimal snow.

All of the top growth became cankered, splotchy, and died back to the crown come spring.

Mutabilis grew back from the crown, but obviously did not enjoy nature's pruning as the plant was smaller this season (but, all were smaller this season except hardy rugosas and kordesii's). It's still bloomed nicely, and again, has autumn black spot.

I fully suspect this charming rose will be getting the "dwindles" and gradually fade out or possibly pass this next winter, but I shall enjoy it until then. Besides, if four o'clock tubers can survive in the ground here (I've dug up some big ones this season plus many new seedlings), I'm sure I can get a couple seasons out of some tender roses! I also have a Duchesse de Brabant and Mrs. Dudley Cross planted this spring in a protected Eastern location.

Steven

Comments (2)