SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_39741270

Need help with my bedroom!

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Need help with my bedroom! I just had shutters installed in my bedroom. Now where I use to have my nightstand is in a terrible place because I can't open the shutters to clean windows etc. please help me to figure how to rearrange this bedroom if it's at all possible. I really would love to get a new bedroom set, but it's not in the cards right now. I also have to figure out what to do above the bed. The room is fairly small, so I don't want it to look smaller. Any input, would greatly be appreciated. Here are pics from left to right.

Comments (2.7K)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

no. that gray green is sickly.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth I love how you tell it like it is, thanks.

• Related Discussions

Need Help Decorating My Bedroom

Q

Comments (23)
    Here's an update for all of you! I could not have gotten this far without all of your help. There's still a ways to go: I'm currently refinishing a nightstand, need a headboard, will be getting a chair, need to hang my artwork. More updates will follow in the following weeks!
    ...See More

I need help with my bedroom

Q

Comments (7)
    I would get some different nightstands that aren't as "matchy-matchy" with the dresser. I might recommend buying an area rug first in the colors you love, then find the right bed linens and coordinating window treatments. This room needs some texture. Maybe find nightstands that have a grasscloth look to the drawer fronts to give it a little more visual appeal.
    ...See More

bedroom decor help!

Q

Comments (3)
    Let's add some floor to ceiling drapery to those windows! I would suggest going with a light neutral and bold dark, hardware. This way it will accentuate the height of your room, and pull your eye UP! The art above the bed is just fine and dandy. With the perspective it does pull you into the room.
    ...See More

need help with my bedroom decor

Q

Comments (39)
    A mint-colored chest of drawers, in my opinion, is a very interesting solution for your bedroom. However, this dresser attracts all the attention. All the rest of the furniture and decor elements are either gray, white, or beige, so a colored dresser is really something that attracts attention. But if you want to achieve this effect, then that's good. I'm inspired by people who can paint furniture themselves, so it looks new. I often wanted to paint the bookshelves in our bedroom by myself, but my wife always dissuaded me. I've watched a lot of BEDROOM DECOR IDEAS on YouTube. So next summer, I'll definitely do the remodeling of the apartment.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Yes I agree with Beth! Sickly;/

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I got out my samplevboard of Worldly Gray, which I like, but you need a larger sample board. It might go lavender in your light. Get sample and do some larger sample boards. Your breakfast area is too small for a rug. I haven’t seen anything yet I love for your kitchen. I will ponder further. ;)
    User thanked Flo Mangan
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Flo, I liked that rug Julie found you don’t think there’s room for it. Table is 48” round and the width of that area is small 8’9” wide where the table is.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

A 8’ round would fit perfect!:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I have SW Worldly gray in every room all different lighting....it has never looked lavender.....I have never seen that?.....it has a warm mucky gray neutral tone?

you have to have it mixed by SW not a color match in another paint...that is when it can go very wrong...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    It could work, but measure because you have angles and some ins and outs to the space. Just be sure.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    All paint colors are dependent on natural and artificial lighting. LED light effects color much differently than fluorescent lighting and incandescent lighting and all the variations of warm and cool features make testing paint samples in every situation so important and checking at all times of day and night.
  • S N
    6 years ago
    How about trying SW Agreeable Gray. It is a warm gray.
  • Pat Reavey
    6 years ago

B: Your bay area is going to be great with all of these talented gals helping you. The kitchen area looks wonderful you have a lot of talent yourself. When are your shutters coming in?

If I could stay well and those around me I would be able to get my bedroom done. I now have a bronchial situation taking steroids for it. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I did get out and got 2 sets of decorative pillows will show later. I got a set of lamps too. just not any night stands as of yet. I hope you are feeling better.

Dh: I am glad to see you are getting better too. I have been down that path a time or two myself. Let us know how you like school, I am sure you will do well. Keep you spirits up and I will continue to pray for you and wishing you well.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I put the swatches in different places in my kitchen, and it definitely looks different depending on where I put it. I really need to get a life, lol. Look how different it looks

in some pics it looks gray and some a beige gray. Any thoughts?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I'm guessing because you have natural light coming through your windows, and more yellow light over your kitchen. change your lightbulbs to cooler, daylight bulbs and see if they match.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pat, thank you! I am so sorry you’re still sick. It has definitely been too long. You need to rest and take care of yourself. My doctor gave me a z pack and an ventolin inhaler and it really helped with the coughing which was a killer. If you don’t start feeling a little better in a few days get back to the doctor you don’t want it to go into pneumonia. Feel better gal. Hubby still doing well? When you feel better share your new finds with us.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth, I changed out all my bulbs to led. Now what do you think about the color? No lights on at all. It looks beige by the cabinets and gray everywhere else. white in first pic?

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Oh the color looks great B! It would look better if you posted a photo, lol.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Omg, shwshw I am going crazy it looks so different in different parts of the room so I can’t even figure out if I like it,lol. How are you?

• shwshw
    6 years ago

I'm just fine. I feel your pain with the paint color decision. It's a bear.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

wow. much more brown next to the granite. it has to be your lighting from that window. Remember, you're viewing it on a piece of paper. I'm hoping once it's painted, it will look more beige. only one way to find out. can you get a sample and paint both spots?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo had mentioned it may do that because of the angles in the walls as well. I think it is also that the natural light from the bay window makes it gray and by the sink there’s only the hi hats which makes it look beige. I should have the shutters this week so if the white isn’t so different from the cabinets I may have to do just white.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If that is Worldly Gray it is way too dark IMO for your room. I think you need to go much lighter. White like shutters and cabinets will be really nice IMO. Just can't go wrong unless you pick a yellow undertone white, which we won't let you do that. Probably BM Simply White. Might want to get a sample of that or a sample of your cabinet color and do a more substantial sample board. You know paint is not easy! But so much fun!!!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Flo, you knew this was coming. You’re so right. Flo these two pics are the same color which is the color of my cabinets they even look like two different colors the second one looks more off white compared to the other it has to be the lighting in the room. Knowing that would you say still go with the white color? Thank you Flo!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Yes I would go white. When you get larger amount and block affect of the current yellow it will work I believe. Can you take a picture of those samples with piece of plain white paper behind it?
    User thanked Flo Mangan
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All the same swatch just different places in the room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Lots of yellow undertones. Do you see that?
    User thanked Flo Mangan
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, so what now? But the fourth pic which is the one on my kitchen cabinet doesn’t pick up the yellow undertone why?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Because of color around it. We will wait to get shutters in and see what develops. I am confident we can find a color that works really well. Patience my dear! Lol
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Flo, you are so sweet.....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Worldly gray is so light it is not dark at all....surprised you think it is dark?

Saddlebrook · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

all this painting makes me want to paint my living room. lol. I mean, it's been over 5 years. I'm tired of the same color. But its the vaulted ceiling room. Not like I can just climb up there and paint! Flo,,i need a new colorrrrrrr.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie it must be the lighting, what I’m going to do is not look anymore until I get the shutters. It’s amazing how that color looks light in those pics you posted but how dark it looks in my house.

Beth sounds like you’re bored, if you have an itch to paint come visit you can paint my house.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

hah! pay for my ticket and I will ;)

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What’s that cost nowadays 600?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I just looked, for the hell of it. If I book now for end of march, it's 300! lol. plus baggage fees I'm sure. Orlando? didn't realize it was so cheap. heck just flying to vegas at the last minute is over 200. but yes, normal fare is 650-800 bucks.

When I was 19 my girlfriend and I booked a cruise out of Miami to the Caribbean and total cost for everything was 800! of course, this was 40 years ago. I do remember Miami in August being the worst place on the planet though. I vowed never to return! horrible weather! lol

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There go Beth, cheap enough! That was a great price, try to find that today. Haha. August is terribly hot, I can’t stand the heat here. One thing about living in HB days were warm but nights were very comfortable. Tomorrow I get the shutters installed, so hopefully that will help me figure out what color to do the kitchen.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Got the shutters up, now does this white work or should I look for a different white or color?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I like that white. shutters look nice and bright!

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beth you think I should paint the whole room white?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Look at SW Steamed Milk

SW Classic light Buff

BM China White

BM Bone White

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I think if you want white, then do the same white. the colors listed above are almost the same as what you already have on the walls.

I think the same white in that little nook area would look cool, but what about the rest of the kitchen??

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey Julie, you don’t like the idea of white? I’ll get those samples and try them. The classic white is similar of what’s on the wall now. What do you think about the color that’s on the wall now? Help please...

Beth I want what would look nice regardless of the color.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ok not sure why gray is not being considered....gold gray and black is such a beautiful color scheme ....very sophisticated look.......you just have to balance out the colors.....a rug would be a wonderful addition...I would do the entire kitchen including the nook.......the white shutters will look so pretty.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

lol. gray was considered. scroll up!

• krottmann
    6 years ago
    following
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Beth of course I know that..I have read it all........I meant why not consider it...Flo for some reason is dead set against it;/ we all have given her gray suggestions...I think a soft gray would be very nice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I like the warm gray too. I think she was saying she was having issues getting the color to look the same over by the window and over by the cabinets. there was marked change in tone. of course the blue/grays didn't work. Perhaps getting a few samples of the one like you posted and painting out some swatches are the only way to see what will work.

What about doing the window nook in the white, and the gray on the other walls?

if it was me, I'd prob tile the entire wall in the nook/shutter space. I'd pick something like Addison did here:

Julie, have you toured her home or seen it ? I love her style, even though it's a little over the tops in places. But this breakfast nook in her kitchen? love. except for the giant chairs. don't like those.

https://addisonswonderland.com/tour/

User thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Pale oak and Worldly gray are very nice subtle neutral grays......the color in those small swatches are getting reflection from the existing wall color..when the entire room is painted it does help it change less from light...just keep that in mind.

with Pale Oak

User thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I know her designs are great...she is very colorful! Most of my clients are not interested in that much color but I actual follow her fashion blog...love it!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth....I agree her host chairs are a bit to big for that area;/

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you gals, I’m going to try those samples again.

Flo, what’s your input after seeing the shutters up?