SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
central_valley

Roofing product wanted: something like roofing nail caps for staples

central_valley
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm building a chicken coop. The roof is made of 1/2" plywood, and I need to shingle it. I want to use staples because I can't get roofing nails short enough to leave the tip in the wood; protruding nails would be dangerous to the chickens (and to me, when I clean), and they'd look ugly where the roof overhangs the walls.

I have a narrow crown pneumatic stapler and I can get galvanized staples in an appropriate length, but I'm concerned that the staples will tear through the shingles. So I want to attach the staples through something like nail head caps: pieces of thin, tough material that go between the staple and the shingle and resist tearing.

But what? I can't find a product like that at the local home improvement emporium. I see usable products on Amazon, but they're intended for other purposes and are too expensive. For example, for $4.99 I can get a pack of ten plastic disks for cushioning a glass table top. About $50 worth would cover the roof.

I could make my own caps by cutting up plastic bottles, but it would take forever, and I'm not sure I have enough suitable bottles on hand.

The floor is open: what other possibilities are there?

Comments (4)