SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebekah_madrid55

Help! I made the wrong backsplash choice!

Rebekah Madrid
6 years ago

My husband and I recently bought a home and with a month to move in, we made a few changes - refinished the floors, re-tiled the fireplace, plan to paint, etc. We also replaced the kitchen backsplash, which was a beachy-blue mosaic tile before. I wanted a more farmhouse-industrial feel to the kitchen, so I opted for subway tile with black grout. I was leaning towards a matte tile but was afraid it would be too muted, so we chose a long white subway tile with some gloss. The finished product looks cheap and something just feels off (and now I think the matte would have been a better call). I plan to replace the chrome bin-pulls and knobs with matte black, but what else could I add to this space to give it the feel I want? Would a matte seal on the tile give the backsplash a matte look, or is that NOT a good idea?

Also, should the grout line that runs next to the cabinets be caulked to match the cabinet color, or is it customary to leave the dark grout line? Left like it is in the photo, it seems to make an outline, and I don't know if that's a good look...

*We also plan to replace the chrome on the island with brass and the pendant lights with brass pendant lights. Eventually, we will replace the counter-tops, but not for a long while...

Any constructive comments or suggestions?!

Comments (64)