SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missindie1

Liquid Barkeeper's Friend, and cleaning quartz countertops.

Chessie
6 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've read a few times here where people warn others away from using BKF on quartz counters. I didn't think that made any sense, from what I have learned about quartz, but I filed it away in my brain for future reference. Well, I just had my new LG Viatera Alpha counters installed yesterday. It's a polished, shiny, mostly white surface. The fabricator cleaned them with acetone before leaving, and while going over them, I found some spots that looked like discolorations, and mentioned them. He said he had seen them and really thought that they were just part of the design, and just brushed it off. Well, after he left, I examined the areas more closely, and was certain that they were NOT part of the material. They did not show up in the finish - you couldn't see any difference in the shine - but it definitely was a mark of some sort.

I got out my acetone, and gave the spots a good rubbing, with no change. I then got out my BKF (the LIQUID!!), shook it well, and poured a bit on a spot near the wall. Left it about a minute, and then wiped it off - there was a little change. I then put more on, and this time rubbed it with a cloth, and it was gone. Completely gone. Wiped it down, and checked the finish, and there was zero effect on the finish. Nothing. I repeated the procedure on a larger spot - same thing. The BKF removed the mark and did NOTHING to the finish of the quartz. So for my experience, it is completely safe.

Then, just for the heck of it, I went and grabbed my bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles Max Grease Cleaner. Sprayed it on the other spots I found, left it about a minute, and wiped it off. GONE. No dulling of the surface, nothing. Just clean. I think that will be my cleaner of choice, since it is very effective, and fast.

Just thought I would let others know.

Comments (162)