SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shelbyvr

Two Audrey Ficus - one sick?

shelbyvr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello,

I've posted about these Ficus before and I know there are 1000 droopy ficus posts already... I've done a lot of reading on past posts but I am a bit stumped here.

Background info:

1. We are in Oakland, CA and the plant is in a north west facing window - it gets bright direct a few hours a day, and bright indirect light the rest of the day
  2. We got the ficus in May and it has been growing rapidly ever since
  3. Two months ago I removed one of the stalks and planted it in its own container. Both have had new growth since then.
  4. The soil is a loose mix of potting and cactus soil. it drains easily.

Last week the left stalk of the original plant became droopy - i noticed it in the top newest leaf. It had been about a week without water and the soil was really dry so I gave it a sold water (so it came out the drainage hole). Generally, we water a good amount, but I've only totally flushed it in the bath tub a few times.

The water did not seem to help with the droopyness of the left tree and it has dropped a few leaves over the weekend. Today the soil was pretty dry a finger length down into the soil so I watered in the bathtub flushing it out well and then finished some 16-16-16 all purpose fertilizer (which we've only used a few times in the past).

It is still droopy, but the one next to it is totally fine. It even looks like the stalk is.. drying out? If that's possible. From what I've read its usually under water, over water, not enough light, salt build up in the soil, or lack of nutrients. I think i've ruled out a watering issue... but it isn't really bouncing back today after a flush and fertilizer. Wondering if anyone else has any ideas or if I should just see what happens and hope it makes it.

** you can't tell from the photo because the big leave at the bottom is blocking but these are two different trees in one pot.

Thanks

Comments (6)