SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enchantedrosez5bma

My Palatine order- woohoo

enchantedrosez5bma
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I just placed my very first order with Palatine. :-)

Here's my list- one of each of the following-

Anne Henderson

Ascot

Bliss Parfuma

Garden Delight

Lions Fairytale

Kiss Me Kate

Cl Rosanna

and 2 Soeur Emmanuelle and 2 Summer Memories for my mirrored bed.

Sharon

Comments (51)

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    6 years ago

I'm a first timer with them too. I usually buy own root, but they came recommended for me, so I'm giving them a try. Here is what I ordered. Typically I'm a pink rose junkie, but wanted to get more yellow and whites and Apricots. But, I had to throw in a couple pinks....!

Berolina

Boule de Neige

Breath of Life

Charles de Gaulle

Friesia

Memoire

Lucille Ball

Yolande de Aragon

Alpenfee

Honore de Balzac

Ilse Krohn Superior

Lichtkonigin Lucia

Roberta Bondar

Rosemary Harkness

Auguste Renoir

Mindy

• PRO
    Hummingbird Roses
    6 years ago

Lilyfinch....you got your Papi Delbard!!

• Related Discussions

Palatine-first time order

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Nancy, Placed my first order to Palatine a few weeks ago. Decided to give them a try after hearing so many nice comments about the big & healthy roses they send. Also their roses are on 'multiflora' root stock & that seems to do better in my acid soils. I ordered: Double Delight Folklore Goldsmith (Helmut Schmidt) Parole Stephen's Big Purple Now if it'll just stop snowing & spring comes.............. Larry
    ...See More

Palatine begins shipping fall orders on Monday Nov. 17.

Q

Comments (1)
    That's all I use. I soak my bare roots for a few hours (or overnight if I forget), and then pot them up and keep them out of the wind. No special soil recipe for me. No fertilizer either, just water. Exciting that its shipping time. Yay!
    ...See More

Palatine rose order

Q

Comments (12)
    when I was looking at their website there was so many pretty roses and I went back and forth on some of the pinks but there was something about that one that just grabbed my heart I think it's going to be a winner. Tiffany Lynn is such a pretty shade of pink and is going to be surrounded by other shades of pink and lots of white and some purple delphiniums and foxglove. Hopefully we are South enough in Oregon that Savannah will be happy in our Heat.
    ...See More

Thrilled with my Palatine Order

Q

Comments (14)
    Well Chris, you asked Diane not me, but I can at least attest that Caramel gets big - I'd plan on a minimum of 6' since that's its routine size for me, and if it weren't so floppy that I have to prune it to keep its head above its 5' fence it would probably get bigger. The one caveat is that Kordes used various versions of the word "caramel" in what is possibly more than one rose, so I'm not sure if mine is Caramel Fairy Tale or Caramel Antike or Caramella or whatever. Still, here's mine in May, which is only the beginning of the growing season last year. The asiatic lilies are about 4' high and the fence behind the shot is more or less eye level at 5'. You can see that even in May it's well into its sixth foot of growth, and is shortly about to reach for the floor without substantial supports. I curl a 5' high wire fence around the outside of this one and it more or less keeps it upright. Diane is right, big means well over 6' for you, though I don't really see this one growing like a climber. It's a lovely rose and blooms well all season for me and of course is hardy. Cynthia
    ...See More
  • Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

It just looks so beautiful!! I don't have room for climbers inside my current bed so it looks like I'm sprawling out lol !! Your list looks fabulous too. Breath of life was tempting too . Lucia is my daughters name! I was looking at that .. do keep us updated!

Now I wait for David Austins to release theirs so I can get a jump on that.

enchantedrosez5bma thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

You will love Palatine. The roots are Incredible.

So many great roses you guys

enchantedrosez5bma thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Waiting for DA too

enchantedrosez5bma thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I feel like a kid at Christmas! I especially like that these are for next year . Hope for a bright future and all that sentimental stuff in light of this crazy world . :)

i was sad Leonardo da Vinci wasn't offered ? I'll email her in a week or so and ask

did you order anything Kristine ?

6 years ago

I am tempted to order a few things. I also have a huge order in with Reagan's so I'm kind of out of room but that never stopped me before did it? LOL

• enchantedrosez5bma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lily-I was considering Papi Delbard, he is scrumptious, but Cynthia (Nippstress) said he wouldn't winter over for her so sadly I can't give him a chance.

Kinda- wow, what a list!

For DA's- I definitely want Olivia Rose Austin rose, Heritage and possibly Thomas A Becket. I love Ascot but read mixed reviews on black spot resistance so I only ordered one to give it a try. There's not much info on TAB but HMF gives him excellent disease resistance ratings as does Austin for what it's worth.

Some others I'll try own root from RU, Fresh Garden Living and Northland. I think I'm going to try Cynthia's route and order one of each instead of multiples of the same roses. There are just way too many gorgeous roses available to limit myself to a handful of multiples :-)

Sharon

6 years ago

Oh I literally have to make a whole new bed for these ! But that's ok . :) there was only a couple from regans I want so I haven't placed my order with them yet. I probably should just go ahead so I don't lose out on sweet Madame .

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

It's exciting and inspiring to see each others choices, imagining what it will be like for you once the roses are in place . I hope there will be more wide angle garden photos to see how it all came together.

After exhaustive research it's all a blur and I forgot what I wanted most. Their shipping requirement of 3 should be plenty for me. Duchesse de Rohan is said to have one of the best berry fragrances around, I thought to get her sandwiched in between my low scent roses. Reine des Violettes is runner up, and third place I'm still on the fence.

The suspense is building wondering what Northland will offer for Spring, I miss the vintage flavor she used to specialize in a decade or more ago. I did ask her to hold a Paul Ricault for me.

Although they were wonderful, the bully trailing nasturtiums will have to move out.

6 years ago

Berrypie - when does northland release theirs? I have only ordered from chamblees, roses unlimited and rvr and da .. so I'm excited to try new places

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Wow. I really wasn't going to order anything this yr as I'm getting burnt out. But I really wanted EMMA HAFTL. So I did up a mock order with just 4 roses, and the shipping is $30.95!! Holy cow! Too much. But then I see your order of 9 roses Lilyfinch has the same shipping cost. Not sure I want to add that many to the order tho to make it worthwhile. Oh the dilemma...

• enchantedrosez5bma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lily- Northland has wonderful roses. I've ordered from them several times. She doesn't have as many offerings as RU but the roses are healthy and nice size.

Sharon

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Lily, do try Northland Rosarium sometime if you can squeeze a few more special roses in. Carol adds more varieties randomly throughout the year and I find they get reserved very quickly. She has a few up now ( you may have already looked) taking orders for Spring. I think the shipping averaged 5 dollars each last year, minimum order two, but may be different this year. She packs them excellent for their trip.

I traditionally order some of mine in December on my birthday. From past experience it seems she has her Big listing up in January or February, but I'll warn some new ones sell out overnight literally. By the time I decided what to get, they were gone for another year. Hope I finally learned my lesson, a year is a long time to wait.

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Should add Northland Rosarium increasingly carries more David Austin at a better price than most nurseries. Does it sound like I'm partial ? it is my favorite shopping stompin' grounds.

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Ok.... I did it. I know I'll regret this. I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE ROSES! But... I ordered EMMA HAFTL, MARYLOU WHITNEY, PAPI DELBARD, CRAZY LOVE, MADAME ANISETTE and OH HAPPY DAY. There. Done. Now don't let me order anything more!!!!!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Don't really need anymore, will probably do some shovel pruning next year though lol. If you have to pay shipping, might as well make it worth it right!? This is what I wound up with-

Have fun everyone!

• Gillian (zone 5b/6a) Ontario, Canada
    6 years ago

Here is mine, it's a little big...but I still have lots of room :)

Acropolis

Bliss Parfuma

Cinderella Fairy Tale

Dark Desire

Earth Angel

Folklore

Honeymoon Arborose

Ispahan

Jacques Cartier

Kiss me Kate Cl

Madame Anisette

Nahema

Oh Happy Day Eleganza

Poseidon

Pomponella

Summer Sun

Savoy Hotel

Soeur Emmanuelle

Sadly, Felicite Parmentier was sold out, or she would have been on there too!

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Oh that settles that, I was trying to decide about Felicite.

it's fun to read about everyone's taste in roses, I see y'all picked a few I would really like.

• TheOutrider-PA zone 6b
    6 years ago

Interested to see Ascot and Bliss! Those two are ones on my "someday wishlist" too! I ordered Kiss Me Kate this year and will be putting it in the ground this week...excited for spring!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

From Palatine, I ordered:

Dark Desire

Ascot

Fragrant Cloud

Blossomtime

Red Intuition

Also from Heirloom I have coming this week:

Blue For You

Acapella

From K&M, also arriving this week:

Tahitian Sunset

Poseiden

Chris Evert

VooDoo

6 years ago

Ben , I have blossomtome and love it ! It's such a gorgeous rose. And pretty petals and I were just talking about blue for you , she really recommended it very highly. Lots of great roses you have coming!!

• berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Good Grief they sold out my roses ! Duchesse de Rohan and Reine des Violettes pulled the rug out from under my order that might have been. No Paletines for me this time around.

I should be glad they made someone happy.

6 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback, Lilyfinch!

Blossomtime was the first rose I ever grew, our family was starting a rose garden and we each got a plant on our birthday, mine was Blossomtime. I was a tot of about 6 yrs old, and have been growing roses whenever I could throughout my life. So excited to have this variety again after over 40 years!

I cannot resist new mauves. I swore no more of them, but here I am adding Blue For You and Poseiden.

6 years ago

I really want Buxom Beauty even though I have no place to put it it might have to live in a pot . And I want mitsouko and I need a third so I'm thinking Garden Delight so theres my three.

David Austin :

Sophie's rose

Mary Magdaline

Regans:

2 Our Lady of Shalott

Bolero

Carding Mill

Young Lycidas

Everyone has such great choices. I can't wait to see all the new pictures next spring

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    6 years ago

Terrific lists - there really aren't any wrong choices from Palatine so you get to indulge yourself a little. Beth, you honestly think we're going to stop you from ordering more roses? Seriously - who do you think we are? We can't stop ourselves so we're hardly a good role model for you either.

Sharon, it's entirely your call about Papi Delbard. Mine sort of survived for a couple of years in an average spot and I've tried him one more time in a sunny virtual zone 6 spot and we'll see how he does. In our cold zones, Polka is the same form but more reliable at overwintering in zone 5 for me.

Here's what I ordered, and it's actually down by about a third from last year (mostly because I have a large % of the roses Palatine sells anyway):

Alfred Sisley (replacement) - this one lasted about 5 years in an average spot then didn't come back this year

Annie Davidson (replacement)

Crazy Love

Diane Loomer

Emma Jaftl

Honore de Balzac

Karen Ann

La Rose de Molinard (replacement)

Midnight Mystique

Oh Happy Day

Red Intuition (replacement)

Sonnenwelt

Under the Cherry Moon

Since
    that's an unlucky 13 I have another rose credit that I left up to
    Palatine to pick among some choices I gave them (Bliss, Kiss me Kate,
    Firebird Colorscape). I was hoping Dragon Heart would stay up on the
    listings since that would have been the 14th but they ended up pulling
    it. Wait till next year, I expect.

Cynthia

• Sun2shinie, Arkansas z7a
    6 years ago

Berrypie,

Antique Rose Emporium has Reine des Violettes. Al and I have one on order. This is our first order from ARE. They are 2 gallon own root. Not sure if you are looking for grafted though? Just thought the info might help.

Shannon :-)

• LauraFromTX PNW WA z8a-ish
    6 years ago

I whittled down my Palatine order to Bliss Parfuma, Madame Anisette and South Africa. This is my first time with Multiflora rootstock so I'll get to see if these do better than the good doctor. I didn't realize there was a minimum order of 3 so South Africa was a last second choice, altho it has been on my want list for a while. Can't wait for April!

6 years ago

I whittled my Palatine order down to 0, zilch, nada. I added a couple more to Reagan's order.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Here is my order list:

Acroplis

Honore de Balzac

Marechel Davoust

Panachee de Lyon

Auguste Renoir (2)

• enchantedrosez5bma
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cynthia- I've been eyeing Sonnenwelt. I might have to add to my order at some point. There's not much info available on her other than on the Kordes site and the little bit at Palatine. She sure is stunning though.

Sharon

• kingcobbtx7b
    6 years ago

I bit the bullet and got an Ascot, Papi Delbard, and Our Anniversary. I obviously needed more reds in my beds.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

I don't need anymore roses. I got a Papi Delbard! this spring, now I can't remember where I planted it! Will have to find it asap, or I have to order another one........lol

• smithdale1z8pnw
    6 years ago

Here is my first order from Palatine, always have grown roses own-root in the past:-

Diane Loomer

Erma Haftl

Boule de Neige

Poseidon

Rosemary Harkness

Reine des Violettes (on back order)

Easy Does It

• frizzycat44
    6 years ago

Sorry everyone to bring up the old thread, but I just got an email from Palatine saying they don't have enough number 1 plants for Soeur Emmanuelle so I need to pick a substitute. Most of what I want (and you all have picked above) are sold out so I am thinking of Poseidon... Just curious to see which rose everyone is picking as the substitute if any.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Did you order Ascot? That's a very pretty rose.

• frizzycat44
    6 years ago

@summersrhythm_z6a: thank you for the suggestion :), and yes Ascot was in my original order as well (along with Earth Angel and Nahema.)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Do you have Papi Delbard, South Africa? Those are very pretty.

6 years ago

Posiden gets excellent ratings! All summer long whenfolks would post pics I would want to kick myself for not getting it. Also chartreuse de parme gets awesome fragrance reviews. Plum perfect has been spectacular for me all season!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Not saying Posiden is not a good rose. When I order roses online paying for shipping, I'd collect uncommon roses, something I can't find in my local nurseries. Maybe that's just me. I can find Posiden locally for $20, what about you frizzycat?

Since I will drive to Palatine to pick up my order without paying for the shipping, I might pick up a few common roses, they'd be cheaper than my local nursery (paying Canadian $). Just checked Posiden again, it's still not my color, I like bright colored roses. I am glad you love yours Lily.

• bethnorcal9
    6 years ago

Wow. I'm really disappointed in Palatine this yr. I understand there can be crop failures, especially up in Canada. But dang! First they couldn't provide OH HAPPY DAY due to it probably not being the correct rose. And now... I get an email that the rose I wanted THE most and the only reason I placed an order at all, EMMA HAFTL, is unavailable. I am sorely bummed. This will pretty much be my last yr to order roses, as I'm getting older and too out of shape to handle the multitudes of roses I already have. So this is quite a disappointment. If I hadn't already been charged for the deposit on the order, I would cancel. But I still would like to have PAPI DELBARD, seeing as how RVR is obviously never going to provide me with my backordered one.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Sorry to hear that Beth, you're the biggest rose collector here on this forum, have more than 2000 roses under your care. I always want to see your order list every year. :-) Lynnette has a beautiful photo of PAPI DELBARD, that was the reason I ordered mine.

• frizzycat44
    6 years ago

@summersrhythm_z6a: thank you for the suggestions again. I completely agree with your logic about ordering harder-to-find roses via mail order as a general rule of thumbs. That's why I added Ascot/Nahema in my original order :). Please let us know what you end up picking from Palatine!

In my case, I haven't been able to find any purple/mauve colored roses in nearby Home Depots/Lowes (I don't have a car so I can't really go far out). Also from my experience another mauve/purple rose (Plum perfect, mail order also for $11), it doesn't grow very well as own roots so I am thinking of trying out different rootstocks.

@ Lilyfinch z7 mid tn: thank you for the suggestion, I did end up swapping Poseidon for Chartreuse de parme! As soon as I read its description as having fragrance "out of this world", I was sold! I am super excited and will keep everyone posted when my order arrives.

@ bethnorcal9: I am so sorry to hear, but hopefully the universe will find a way to bring EMMA HAFTL to you SOON :).

• kingcobbtx7b
    6 years ago

just wanted to share my 3 arrived today.

6 years ago

Wahoo king Cobb ! I see you ordered two that I also chose , papi and ascot. Really excited to see yours bloom!

6 years ago

I also chose Papi Delbard and Ascot...that makes three of us. Will be fun to compare notes, mine will be delivered in March.

6 years ago

Yay Ben ! I do not think we will regret those . I'm so excited for my palantine order. I know someone here who plants bare roots in the fall but I'm not used to that so I'm afraid to try.

6 years ago

Lilyfinch, I agree, those are two really unique and interesting roses. I’m doing spring shipment mostly because I need time to figure out where all the roses will go. It seems I have multiple roses assigned to each available spot and I’m trying to keep my pot ghetto from mushrooming into a small nursery :(

6 years ago

Oh lol Ben, I am in the same boat. ToI many great roses coming and so little room. I have pulled a few things out ( some just planted last year ) to make room but I am getting kiND of piggy about roses.

So as you told me, stuff em in

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz