SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
300ft_anin

yamaha qt50

300ft_anin
6 years ago

hi all, just picked up a 1981 yamaha qt50. didn't come with a key. i looked online for videos to hot wire, but couldn't find the plug people where describing. does anybody have experience with these scooters?

Comments (7)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

You can ask questions on Adventure Rider forum, there is a scooter forum:

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/battle-scooters.36/

• 300ft_anin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i was hoping somebody on this forum could answer the question. i don't like joining forums

• jemdandy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Use a search engine such as google and look for the wiring diagrams for your moped.

Parts are available at: QT50 Parts

Wiring Diagram: Wiring Diagram

To find a service manual, use the term "yamaha qt50 service manual" in a search engine.

It is an older moped. One approach would be to find a used ignition switch (with key) that is in working condition and swap it in. Another approach is to see your Yamaha dealer to see if they can help with the ignition key. Before you go, copy the model and serial number to take with you. A photo of the moped might help.

I think that you or a friend should do the work if possible. The dealer's charge to do this may be more than the bike is worth because he may need $80 an hour to cover his costs.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Just want to point it out, that moped is super slow, you could walk faster than that when you going up the hills, it often stops in the middle of a hill and you have to push it up. Are you ready for that? :-) If you like small scooters try a Honda Ruckus, you can ride it with groups. If you know how to ride a motorcycle try a Honda Grom, it’s really fun, top speed is 62 mph for me.

• 300ft_anin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hi summer, jem, thanks for the response. when i got that little bike it didn't come with a title or key's and only a vague story behind it. i ended up going down to the local cop shop with the vin and had them check if it was reported stolen? was not, but they couldn't give me any info on original/last owner. so i filled out a record request with the DMV and they sent me the last owners name and address, contacted them and they wanted nothing to do with it, no tittle (lost, misplaced?), no keys. because i only would have wanted this to putt around the neighborhood it wasn't worth the trouble to get things right. sold it for a nice profit. years ago i relinquished my motorcycle endorsement so that little 50cc scooter was appealing.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    6 years ago

Glad you’re interested in Ruckus, it’s 40mph and 100 mpg. I have 2 of them in different years and colors. I love them. It’s cheaper buy used ones. Just google Honda Ruckus group ride, you could watch the YouTubes for hours. :-) There is a Ruckus meet and a Grom meet every year in NC by Smokey Mountains. It looked really fun.

• 300ft_anin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hi summer, i think riding motorcycles are a thing of the past. back in the 70's when i was young and fearless it was my only way to get around, my dad let me trade my dirt bike in for a street bike because my riding buddy (2 yrs. older than me) got his drivers license and got 1. i used too ride to high school before i took driver's ed. then a few later while at work it started snowing, being protective of my bike and not wanting to leave it at the shop i rode home, scared me to death! bought a car, sold my bike. borrowed a bike about 15 yrs. after that and went for a ride, and it wasn't the same, that was the end of my riding day's.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio