Worth the cost to get rid of popcorn ceiling???

cathieanderson

We have a large ceiling area in our open living, dining, kitchen area, with three attached to the side hallways. We called for estimates to get rid of our popcorn ceilings in just this area, and the cost came in at $6,000. That is a lot of money! My question is - Is it worth the $6,000 to get rid of the popcorn ceiling, i.e., will it help the future resale value of the house, or would the money be better spent remodeling a basement bathroom?? Appreciate the thoughts and ideas I have received in the past with decorating issues, and am looking forward to hear what y'all have to say.

SaveComment19Like1
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloebud

I think it's well worth it. Yes, it will help a future resale IMO. As a potential buyer, I would cringe at the sight of popcorn ceilings and dealing with removing them. Thank goodness the home we bought was full of "interesting" wallpaper vs popcorn ceilings. Having the wallpaper removed was far easier...and much cheaper.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by cathieanderson
groveraxle

Getting rid of a popcorn ceiling if it doesn't contain asbestos is an easy diy. All you need is a sprayer and a scraper. There are lots of videos on youtube that demonstrate it. The worst part is the mess it makes, but even that can be mitigated.

groveraxle

3 Likes Save     Thanked by cathieanderson
cathieanderson

Grover, you would have to see the space in order to appreciate the time and effort that would go into removing ALL the popcorn. It is a huge ceiling area, approximately 46' by 33', not to mention the prep work, then the scraping, repairs and then painting.

1 Like Save    
shirlpp

I agree if the ceilings are not taller than 9' and there aren't any asbestos issues, it's a messy DIY.....Then put the money into the basement bathroom.

1 Like Save     Thanked by cathieanderson
chiflipper

Does that cost include a "skim coat" finish? If so, the charge seems very reasonable. I have very high vaulted popcorn ceilings in LR and 3 bedrooms. Those don't bother me. My other rooms, with 8 foot ceilings, have all been scraped and skimmed. Well worth the cost IMO.

Red Silver

Look, it is a rip off to pay that much to have it done. Go to any paint supply store. Than you can see the various basic tools you need to accomplish that. Basically a broom handle with a blade on it. Tie a pillow case to it in whatever fashion you can. We have removed it from ceilings in 2 bedrooms. With a steady hand, you can accomplish it and it will not need any patching, or retexturing! You will be able to roll paint it and it will look spectacular. Do look thru various youtube videos for ideas.

1 Like Save    
DH

It wouldn't hurt to get another bid or two just for the assurance that this is a reasonable bid. But from your description of the size and difficulty, I suspect it is. In terms of increasing resale value. I would say yes, absolutely. I don't know that you will get 100% return on the dollar or not, but you will greatly increase your pool of prospective buyers. Many people will rule out your house just because of the popcorn ceiling and that to change it would be a major project. Plus, I would think you will enjoy not having the popcorn ceilings for the time that you're in the house. Those ceilings really suck the light out of a room, so it will likely help your space feel much more open and bright. I definitely think it would be worth doing.

K G
The $6,000 seems to be a lot - but I completely think it is worth it!! No one likes popcorn ceiling - it looks dirty, dust sticks to it and you can paint it easily (all my opinion).

We just 'got rid' of the popcorn ceiling in our 40 year old 2,600 home and it was less than that; however because the popcorn ceiling had been painted we had new drywall installed over top. Scrapping would have been a very very expensive and messy job.

It was special extra thin and now looks AMAZING. The ceiling is perfectly flat and new. Really makes the house look refreshed.

The downside of scraping is that you can end up damaging the ceiling so need a ton or repairs, it's super messy, and if there is asbestos it's an even job.

Personally I think it would be Worth getting a quote or at least looking into covering with new ceiling, thin, drywall, assuming the quote is for scraping. You do loose a little height but less ham half an inch and with the ceiling being flat it actually now feels higher.

This is the common approach in our area - the other upside is we added a ton of new potlights and the electricians could rug everything in before the new drywall and not worry about multiple holes.
K G
Meant to say in my post 'can't' paint it. And the cost for our entire house - in Canada, was less than your quote for that area. Mind you I think we got a good deal - repainting by our painter was extra of course but he used his sprayer since it was new drywall.
Save     Thanked by cathieanderson
typeandrun

we removed our popcorn ceiling ourselves. Messy but easy, the worst part is the prep i e covering up everything. This was a vaulted area as well around 20 by 30.
If you aren't sure about cost vs re-sell, ask a realtor

PRO
Patricia Colwell Consulting

I think we need to know if that charge includes patching and finishing the ceiling ready for paint , if so it is a good price and IMO worth the money. The problem with DIY is if it has ever been painted it is a totally different job.

cathieanderson

It does include patching and finishing the ceiling. Thanks for the perspective.

Save    
gleaner3

Removing the popcorn is the easy part. Patching, sanding and painting to get a smooth flat surface takes a lot of care, labor and cost. That's probably why the popcorn was applied in the first place. The price you quote for the whole job seems reasonable to me. I would consider it a one-time investment in updating the overall look of your home vs a basement bathroom, which may not be used all that frequently.

cathieanderson

Good point!

Save    
suzyq53

Everyone hates popcorn. Get one more bid and have it removed. You may not be rewarded with the future sales point, but you won't get dinged for it either and you get to enjoy the clean look.

Save     Thanked by cathieanderson
cathieanderson

You're right!!

1 Like Save    
Margaret Schultz

have it done. I think the benefits are WELL worth the investment. It will take 30-40 yrs off the face of your interior. It makes that big of a difference. I've done 2 remos now, and re-texturing, while expensive (both walls & ceiling for the most recent) were WELL worth it because of the resulting 'feel' of the house post job.

momfromthenorth

We had it removed for less than that...and ours had been painted! It can still be easily done. Add 1 C of white vinegar to your sprayer that is filled with warm water. Let it sit for a few minutes and then start scraping. We didn't have any ugly gouges or issues. It slithered off and after it dried, the painters did a wee bit of sanding to make sure we didn't miss anything, put on a coat of primer and then finish paint. Looked brand new. Can't believe what a difference it made!!!! Yes, do it. I've talked to many young people who want it off when they are house hunting. So go for it and then sell your house.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life How to Get Rid of Those Pesky Summer Fruit Flies
Learn what fruit flies are, how to prevent them and how to get rid of them in your home
Full Story
Organizing Use It or Lose It: How to Get Rid of Old Keys
Clean out your junk drawer by getting rid of keys in an earth-friendly way
Full Story
4 Good Ways to Get Rid of Mosquitos in Your Yard
Stay safe from West Nile virus and put an end to irksome itches with these tools and methods for a porch, patio or yard
Full Story