SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cathyjieun

First time selecting colors for interior walls, need advice!

Cathy K
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My husband and I are moving next month, and for the first time ever, the owner has stated that he would allow us to select the colors for the interior of the house. We are excited to escape the yellowed-white glum of all our previous rentals, but are not interior design savvy.

It's always been my dream to have gray walls (big dreams, right?), so I was thinking a light gray, like Benjamin Moore's Stonington Grey. But I have a few questions...

1. We really want to increase the illusion of a larger and brighter space. Would gray walls have the opposite effect? Should I be looking into a nice shade of white instead?

2. Would painting the entire house (including kitchen, bathroom, nursery, basement) in a single shade, leaving trims white, be overkill?

3. Would you suggest painting ceilings white, the same shade of gray, or another color all together?

4. When we first bought our furniture, we made the mistake of buying bulky, chocolatey brown pieces. What undertone would suit our furniture? Or is there some shade of gray that universally matches all colors?

5. Would choosing a darker shade, like Amherst Gray, make the rooms feel smaller?

All answers and any advice would be highly appreciated!

Comment (1)