How do I use jack-in -the-pulpit seed heads to propagate?

Lynn in Parkton, Maryland

After cultivating native jack-in-the-pulpit in one flower bed for years, I have now reached saturation. I have some other beds I would like to move them to, but do not know the best way. All the seed pods are red right now. Do I just spread the red bulbs on the ground, plant them, or break them apart?

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada(5a ON Canada)

Collect the seed pods when they are ready to fall off when lightly touched. You can wrap the remainder in a piece of pantyhose or cheese cloth to keep the birds from taking them if they are not all ready to harvest. When they are ready crush the red coating to reveal the seeds and plant 1/2" deep.

Save    
Cathy Kaufell

Just let the seed drop next to the mother plant. After they germinate in the spring I'll move them out or pot them up for friends.

Save    
Lynn in Parkton, Maryland

I was not sure how easy they were to transplant as the originals were hard to get started.

Save    
ncrescue

The "coating" needs to be removed if you want next year germination. However, if you are not in a hurry, you can just drop them in the soil, and Mother Nature will take care of that. If you clean them, be sure to wear gloves, as the coating will cause an itching reaction in most people. They do not like to stay in pots very long, so plant out at least by the next fall after germination.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fall Gardening Why You Should Let Your Garden Go to Seed
Take a moment to appreciate spent flower stalks in your late-summer garden and the benefits they provide
Full Story
Container Gardens 8 Easy Container Plants to Grow From Seed
Get beautiful blooms and herbs in summer by starting these choice garden picks from seed in spring
Full Story
Gardening Guides How the Little Act of Saving Seeds Can Make a Big Difference
This year, grow an heirloom variety in your garden, save the seeds and play a small part in preserving plant diversity
Full Story