SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenburmester

Does glazed FLAT EDGE hex floor tile exist? Or only unglazed?

I have a bathroom in my house from 1940, and I love the floor tile. I am renovating a second bathroom in my house (that was redone in the 1980s with powder blue fixtures) and would like to imitate the look of the 1940s bathroom floor. The floor is a green and white check, and I have always assumed that it is unglazed tile. So I have been looking at white unglazed hex tile for the bathroom that I am renovating.

I'm now balking at the unglazed hex because I have heard that it has to be sealed periodically and it can stain. I have two small boys, one of whom is only recently toilet trained and doesn't have the greatest aim, and the other who has yet to be toilet trained, so I worry about stains on the floor.

Also, I have never had a problem with stains in the 1940s green and white bathroom, although the bathroom admittedly doesn't get that much use and the floor already has a "patina." So I'm wondering - maybe it's glazed tile, and it just looks unglazed because it has flat, rather than "cushion" edges. I have attached a photo. Does anyone know whether GLAZED flat edged floor tile was used during the 1940s, or was it all unglazed?

Also, I realize now that the thing I like about the floor isn't so much the glaze or lack thereof, it's the fact that the floor tiles are flat and not "cushioned." So I'm wondering if you can find GLAZED hex or similar small tiles with a flat edge. All the tile I've seen has been either glazed with a cushion edge, or unglazed with a flat edge, however. Does such a thing exist?

Comments (6)