SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Can anyone help me find these floors?

mjammjam
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So, I'm ready to forego my white/grey kitchen because I love the warmth of the dark wood island. Can anyone help me figure out what color floors these are. These are Houzz photos but I only know they are porcelain. I'd also like to know about the dining table if any of you can tell. Thank you all!!!!

Comments (32)

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

Well, I had some time on my hands so I spent some time looking at hundreds of tiles. Everything I saw either had more marbling or straiter striations in the tile. Are these 1' x 2', or do you care? And the color? You want that exact color. I found a couple on Wayfare, but they weren't quite close enough.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Thank you- Jo!! I was doing a white/grey kitchen and have ditched that plan because everything looked cold to me. This is the first photo I've seen with porcelain floor tiles that I would like. I am planning white kitchen cabinets with darker (Don't know color yet, but probably darker wood) island. These floors look brown/cream/greyish and look pretty to me in all the different angles of photos. I prefer the bigger tile 18" x 36", but would look at others if it looked nice. I want to use this countertop which is White Macaubus

This is the setup of my kitchen - Just a drawing by the kitchen guy.

Thanks again!!!! xoxo

• Related Discussions

Can Anyone Help Me Find Some Quartz Choices?

Q

Comments (43)
    I think your choice is beautiful. I have the creamy white cabinets on the perimeter with Hanstone Magellan counter. On the website it looks really dark, but it is a lovely grey pattern which doesn't show anything (dust, food) and is not too shiny. My island is a red stained wood (similar to mahogany in colour). I chose Zodiaq Bianca Carerra. I love each of them equally. I have had them for almost 2 years now and have thrown just about everything at them (messy and kids aren't any neater) and they look like brand new. I think anything you choose you will LOVE. Good luck and enjoy your new kitchen. It will be fabulous!
    ...See More

Can anyone help me find a balcony flooring solution?

Q

Comments (0)
    My balcony seems to be covered in a plastic-like material, presumably to prevent leakage into the units below me. I don’t know what is underneath the cover, but the surface is very uneven. This is preventing water from getting to the drainage spout in the corner of the balcony. Whenever it rains I have a pond on my balcony. If it warms up after the rain, it does get smelly. When I first moved here these rubber mats were covering the balcony floor, but I don’t like the look of them and they definitely do not solve the drainage issue.
    ...See More

Can anyone help me find these pendants and curtains?

Q

Comments (2)
    On the designers Instagram, she hashtagged "antique pendants" then Paris. Jennifer Worts Muskoka Cottage So you'll probably never find the exact ones. And since it was a pricey custom beach home, the drapes are probably custom, too. Sorry! I found some similar shaped pendants in all sorts of colors and widths by googling: industrial farmhouse pendant brass (browsed the shopping tab)
    ...See More

Can anyone help me find this rose

Q

Comments (4)
    Stephanie, HMF's list of nurseries that grow DT doesn't list a USA source. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to import roses from any other country than Canada (the least of your problems is the huge cost and paperwork...there's a two year quarantine, too), and though Hortico in Canada is listed as growing it, it doesn't appear on their website. Your best bet is to look at gardens on HMF that are listed as growing it. There are a few, one of which is the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. You can message any member (unless they've disabled it) and might ask for a cutting, or ask where they got their plant of DT. I know what it's like to desperately want a particular rose, so best of luck. John
    ...See More
  • Dancingtree
    6 years ago

You might want to make a decision on the color of the island, especially if it will be wood. That way the colors won't clash.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

isn't there any info listed under the photos? you said they were from Houzz? if you read through the comments on each picture, i'm sure someone has asked. maybe it's answered? almost looks like the same material they have on the countertop. like a type of quartz.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Once I find this tile, I'll pick the shade of wood that looks best with it. There is no info about this tile from the designer, other than it is porcelain.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/oakland-hills-golf-course-bloomfield-hills-mi-contemporary-kitchen-detroit-phvw-vp~76707355

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

I looked at the link you left. You're right, there doesn't appear to be anything on the tile floor or the table you mentioned. The table is hard to see, but it looks like it has very straight lines and curved legs underneath. I also saw that you left a question for them, but they must not have gotten back to you. Too bad, that would have solved your problem!

The quartzite you picked out is going to be beautiful with the white cabinets. I also love the idea of the wood island, it will definitely warm the space up. I'll check back tomorrow to see what been added here.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I love that quartzite too. have you seen it in the blue? It's stunning.

anyway, there are plenty of flooring and decor options that work nicely w/that stone. To keep everything from looking too cold, try and bring in some warmer options w/wood. since your island will do, perhaps try something in this tone:

I love they way they've done this kitchen around that quartzite. Gold hardware would look better than the nickel, IMO.

gray island w/a cooler toned wood floor. you can see the difference from the one above.

since this stone is so gorgeous, consider doing a waterfall on the island if possible

this look with a walnut wood choice for the island, would look stunning.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love that quartzite waterfall. My island is probably too long to get it to continue like that. It's the porcelain floor that I don't want in grey since that's what looks cold to me. I need to find that floor from the photos. I'll take the pics with me to the tile store and see what I can find.........I hope to find an answer from the decorator on the Houzz page.....

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Jo, for your help. I hope I find it. I've been looking for the table too with no luck....

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

OMG, I just looked at the blue quarzite (that Beth mentioned) on goolge images. I've always wanted blue prodomanently in my kitchen and this would be it. My favorite is Blue Louise with the rust color running through it, I'm in love! We are going to be buying a fixer upper in the next couple of years and if we had the money, this is what I would put in. Thanks Beth for making me dream again!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

haha. I know. I've always wanted that blue one. many years ago I got a large remnant piece of Blue Bahia. it's just gorgeous. I got it for free because it had a crack in the middle. Couldn't really use it anywhere so I broke it into large chunks and set it in mortar on my patio slab, combined w/silver flagstone. It's so pretty! Very slippery when wet, hence the flagstone and pebble combo.

I know this bahia isn't cheap, but the Blue Macaubas may be even more expensive.

Jo,,they actually have the blue macaubas subway tiles! you could get those. they're only about $75 a sq ft!

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

mjammjam, please let us know what happens when you talk to the people at your tile store. Don't let them talk you into something you're not happy with.

Beth, great idea for the patio! And a big HA to the tile price, don't think I'll be using that one.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I found two more today, but I'm not sure anymore --- I need a designer/decorator. I'm afraid I'll spend over $50K on this kitchen and it'll look horrible. Any opinions on these two????

They look different when I zoom in!

HELP

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

Weeellllll, I'm wondering if, even though the grey would go well with your countertop, would you think it looks too cold? You had mentioned that earlier. Something to think about anyway. They both look nice. The tile that looks more tan would be warmer. Would you do a light wood on the island? So many choices.....

Let's see what Beth has to say, she's the Pro.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

you don't need to zoom in! it's not like these tiles will be viewed 2 inches from your face! remember, they're on the floor!

they're both ok. Personally I think you can do better. These are 'meh".

see what you think of these

the top one is like a black or gray slate. you can find it in porcelain. this one below is 8x36, concreto from tilebar

and this one. 12x24 Marbella Perla, tilebar

linchfield 12x24 silver/gray porcelain

8x36 skoven nero,,,tilebar

12x24 dark instinct, tilebar

I would grab some samples from tilebar and see how they look w/the stone. 5 for $5

they have so many others, I could list 20 pics. go to the tilebar front page and search "gray". look at the Seville, The Linden, The Marbella and Instinct,,just for grins.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, girls! Do you think the lighter tile is too light for white cabinets? I also like the tones on Copse Beige, but it looks like distressed wood. I have an open floor plan and the den (which will have wood floors) will be totally open to kitchen. I am going to look now for that slate color in porcelain. This is where I started (Dark grey) when I was wondering if it looked dark or cold. Let me rethink it..... I'm going crazy!!! hahaha

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes, I took out the Copse after I got a closer look at it. I replaced it w/the Lynchfield. that one looks like an actual gray slate tile.

can you post a pic of the entire area?

they have so many other grays on that site, that you need to go through them all to see what tone you like.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The area isn't created yet but here's a pic of the kitchen

That bright white space is the eat-in area in front of the sliding doors and beyond that is a den.

I found this photo of the view of the den from the island area. We picked up these very dark floors. The house seems very dark with the dark floors and dark island.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

ok. I see now. Yes, the dark floors against the dark island,,,no good. Although, it looks like you get a decent amount of light coming in.

you prob want something that isn't striped or has a lot of pattern, since it's such a large expanse.

so this is the litchfield

this is Salerno from Builders Direct

and I would do a large format. you don't want anything with large grout lines (nothing over 1/16" if you can help it.)

even though this has a little pattern, it's nice. reminds me of silver travertine

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

The tile you posted looks a lot like some of the Marvel stone collection from Atlas Concordia which is an Italian porcelain tile company, one of the biggest in Europe. US companies have it or can get it. Their tiles are through and through. Check a US company that sells it and their website gallery may have images.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much! I like the colors of Litchfield and think they would match the best. I don't love the pieces that look chipped though. I'm going to check if it comes smooth and maybe a little polished. . I like a little glam. Im not the rustic type. I can't thank you enough!!!

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

I have so many more questions now that you put these new pics up but I'll only ask three.

1. When you get to the glass sliding doors/eat-in area, you turn left to the go to the den? (which is where the t.v. is)

2. In the photo with the dark floors. Are you moving the island further down the room, as well as the cabinetry? (looks like it in the rendering)

3. Are you bumping out the wall to the left of the old island? (looks like it in the rendering)

That space in the pic looks bigger than the new kitchen mock up, though I know pictures can be deceptive. The dark floors actually good, but not to your liking, and that's what's important. You want something to lighten up the room more. We can work with that.

PS. Answering said questions will not make a difference in any the questions that YOU need answered! Just curious is all. Call me Miss Nosey.... no, don't do that.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Is this better? Trying to find better pics of room. The new island will be narrower to allow room for refrigerator on the wall across from the sink. And we are putting up a wall for stove since prior owners took it down. Those dark floors are some cheap laminate that looks painted! I am getting wood floors throughout except for kitchen area. That's why I don't want the 'tile that looks like wood' I also like a kitchen with some glam. I'm not into the rustic or distressed look. But I want it warm. The dark grey floor felt cold and the wood floor would be destroyed where we eat and under the stools by the island.

Let me know if you can see it now

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes,,i like that one too.

I was looking at some of the polished porcelain and they really look good!

I really like this one but I can't find out who makes it. Maybe Cliffside?

This one is on Alibaba. You can find some great deals on here. I actually found my marble supplier from here and imported a crate of them.

There are hundreds of vendors but you can't beat the prices.

https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/light-grey-pure-surface-project-porcelain_60577155161.html

this one too is polished

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/angelgres-revestimentos-ceramicos-ltda/product-117607-1720525.html

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

oh wait,,,i thought this tile was going all the way across the room. so you're doing wood on the other side? what kind of wood? Are you sure you don't want to bring the wood into the kitchen?

I think a wide plank, french oak in a warm/gray tone, would look fantastic across the entire room.

if you could do this color, in this pattern, all the way across the room, it would be so beautiful. I would choose that one in a heartbeat over the tile.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

s that Alibaba from China??? Yes. I'm doing wood floors in den, and adjoining living room (see the doorway to left of TV) Also putting wood floor in dining room which you can't see from here but it's behind refrigerator wall. Also putting it in entry We are doing porcelain in kitchen just from horror stories from everyone else about the scratches. Honestly - I had wood floors in my last house and my husband constantly pointed out all the dings and dents. My friend has wood floors and they're destroyed under the bar stools even with those felt protectors. Plus my backyard door Is in the eat-in area where heavy traffic (dog) would be. I'm sure it'll be more practical even though I like wood better. Ohhhh and the wood Is quarter sawn white oak. Don't know what color stain yet. Depends on shade of kitchen tile. Also-- radiant heat under floors

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Oh nice! so tile in the kitchen. yes, that's alibaba in china. I've ordered many things from them and have been happy with everything I've gotten. Even my solid brass drain cover for my shower. $15! They want $180 for those things locally!

what about quartz tiles for the kitchen? they come in 24x24 and give you that glam you want.

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

Just wondering what you think of this one since you were considering something with browns in it. It comes from the Marvel (stone) collection that suzyq53 mentioned. Comes from Italy but, I don't see any prices. Might be expensive but I wanted to get your opinion of the texture and cream color.

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

• Dancingtree
    6 years ago

This looks a little too pink in these pic's I just found for this tile in a hotel lobby.

It's more the texture and look that I'm wondering if you like.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths