Case study on propaganda: antifa

Annie Deighnaugh

Long but interesting look at how a story gets purposely amplified and repeated via russian bots in order to shape the conversation. If you were reading twitter and facebook with RT-sourced news about antifa at berkley, you've been a victim of russian propaganda.

How Russian & Alt-Right Twitter Accounts Worked Together to Skew the Narrative About Berkeley

Misinformation and disinformation often spread faster than the truth, and by the time the narrative is corrected, social media has already moved on to the next “big thing.”

The narrative surrounding last weekend’s protests in Berkeley took shape on social media and was picked up, at least in part, by mainstream news outlets. The result was a skewed presentation of events that was almost entirely devoid of the context in which they took place. Even more troubling: that narrative was influenced by pro-Russian social media networks, including state-sponsored propaganda outlets, botnets, cyborgs, and individual users.

SaveComment68Like4
Comments (68)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j4c11

cyborgs

Baaaahahahahahahahaha

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Annie, thank you so much.

The article is very timely since the propaganda pushed by the Russian bots are making the rounds in Hot Topics.

As an aside, for reporting on events in Berkeley, I've found Berkeleyside informative and reliable.

Edited to add link to Berkeleyside: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/08/28/berkeley-community-comes-force-hate-racism/

3 Likes Save    
Caree

'Case study on propaganda'

See LW main stream media.

Save    

There is no left wing mainstream media; that's corporate media -- capitalism running mass media.

6 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here are some excerpts from the OP article on the alt-right tactics, especially their "Free Speech" rallies and their attacks on liberal strongholds like Berkeley University of California.

----------------------------------------------------------

"How Russian & Alt-Right Twitter Accounts Worked Together to Skew the Narrative About Berkeley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Below is a random sample of tweets using the hashtag #Antifa. As you can see, the hashtag was dominated by negative and inflammatory tweets about #Antifa, with several accounts trying to label #Antifa as a terrorist organization. . . . Other dominant themes included a concerted effort to connect Antifa to the Democratic party and to smear the name of Black Lives Matter, as well as to shift the focus from the surge of right-wing extremist violence to the individual actions of “leftist” protesters. Notably, in this random sample of tweets, all of those tweeting about #Antifa were doing so in a negative manner — showing how an orchestrated effort can really saturate a hashtag and skew the related sentiment, content, and narrative.

. . . The dominant themes all involved presenting an exaggerated threat and promoting right-wing alarmism about that threat. These themes included labeling Antifa as a terrorist organization, trying to link Antifa to George Soros, presenting Antifa as the aggressor and far-right extremists as the victims, and trying to portray Antifa as the “real” fascists. Both-siderism was also a common tactic used, often in attempt to equate hate groups like the Ku Klux Klan with Antifa and Black Lives Matter.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Repetition is one of the most important elements of successful propaganda dissemination. Even when information is not true, being exposed to it repeatedly and from multiple sources boosts its credibility and increases the likelihood that an audience will internalize and believe the message. Repetition also increases the likelihood that any given person will be exposed to the message, while simultaneously drowning out alternative messages and perspectives.

There is also an important social normative element involved: When people see that other individuals with similar ideological viewpoints are propagating a certain message or position, they’re more likely to adopt that perspective themselves. Additionally, perceptions of widespread support can make extreme ideas seem more acceptable and “mainstream” —a key step in the process of normalization. These social normative factors make social media ripe for manipulation, as it’s easy to create false impressions of support using automated accounts (“bots”), cyborgs, and orchestrated hashtag campaigns.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . .

For months, these “alt-right” and far-right extremists have been traveling to liberal cities and showing up at rallies wearing helmets, goggles, and body armor, and often carrying shields, flagpoles, and weighted sticks. While they’ve gotten (somewhat) more discreet in recent months, their plans for violence — including directions for making weapons to get past security, instructions for making improvised explosive devices, and discussions about the best gear for battle — are often made out in the open, reflecting just how emboldened these groups have become. (Back in April, I documented some of this on Twitter and compiled it here). They carry this out under the guise of buzzwords like “free speech” or “patriotism”, but their intent is clear: They want to provoke violence.

They use these so-called “free speech” rallies as recruitment events to increase their membership, and they know violence sells. They also know that increasing their size and consolidating power requires more mainstream support, and a quick way to get that support is by portraying themselves as brave martyrs fighting against a supposed uprising of “violent leftists” — represented by Antifa, Black Lives Matter, and anyone else they can fool the media into demonizing. By traveling to liberal cities where they know they’ll encounter resistance, they can then frame their violence as a defense against “intolerant leftists” trying to “shut down free speech.” This, in turn, gives mainstream conservatives and right-wing figures a reason (or, in some cases, an excuse) to support their cause.

By saturating social media, they also hijack the mainstream media narrative and distract from the growing threat of organized right-wing extremism and white supremacist violence. Violence sells. Mainstream news outlets know this, too, which is why they often prioritize sensationalism over context. As Shane Bauer warned in his account of the events in Berkeley, “reporters shouldn’t lose sight of the big picture: Fascists and other far-right extremist groups in America are visible and organized in a way that they haven’t been in decades.” Only this time, they’re harnessing the power of social media to increase their visibility — and Russia is helping them do it." (SOURCE)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kind of long, I know--but I hope very enlightening--especially the Russian connection with the alt-right groups.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
SandyC.

Thank you. The Trump supporters are getting desperate. How do they defend the indefensible? The fake news is there for the taking for those who choose to believe RT and alt right rhetoric.

Save    
mrskjun(9)

omg Russia on the brain!

It's going down!

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

mrskjun, you will continue to be victimized by those who do not have the nation's best interest at heart unless and until you wake up to what's going on. Time to get on the clue train.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Annie, I grew up during Vietnam. I've been a political junkie since I first registered to vote when I was 18. I now and always have had the nation's best interest at heart. And I'm wide awake and watching the left willing to destroy our democracy in order to bring down a president that they thought never had a chance of winning. He is who the country chose. Whatever you might think of him today, the left never planned to give him a chance since Nov. 8. So please don't pretend that the left had an epiphany after he started governing. The anger over Hillary's loss started the night of the election and the left can't let it go. And my prediction as a political junkie, is the dems are going to continue paying a price for trying to turn the country in a direction the majority has no wish to go.

5 Likes Save    
Margo

Amen mrskjun!!

4 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

Talking of propaganda, speaking for myself and many I know, Trump is a problem for our country due to his incompetence and among other things his ignorant narcissistic attitude and we can;t support him. The meme that we are 'angry' because Hilary didn't win is simply propaganda meant to obscure the truth.

8 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Wonder if all those Republicans who also can no longer defend or support Trump because of his behaviour and lack of discipline feel that way because they are "angry" that Hilary didn't win.

It is possible to support policies without supporting his behaviour.....the minority of Americans in his camp are there because they share his values,

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

It sure worked, didn't it.

The propaganda turned a small insignificant group into a giant dark looming presence over our always gullible forum members.

It made the RW very happy, because the propaganda directed their attention to a new shiny object to focus on and gave them a new target to obsess over.

Squirrel!!

And it means the RW doesn't have to condemn their own racist groups, like the KKK, neo-Nazis, and of course Mr. Trump's favorite, the white supremacists.

We've seen how easy the RW is to manipulate when Fox "News" realized their audience didn't want facts about the President Trump (too disturbing), so their switched their attention back to Hillary Clinton (who?).

Now antifa and Clinton are all the RW can obsess over.

3 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

mrskjun, First, I never claimed to have an "epiphany" on 11/8. Rather I knew who trump was before he ever ran, having lived in the NYC area all my life. He's always been and continues to be a self-important empty suit.

I never said YOU didn't have the nation's best interest at heart, but that those who are running the propaganda machine pumping up the RW and trump base do not. Those who are painting the left as the "enemy of the nation", those who are defending trump no matter what he says or does, no matter how illegal or immoral his behavior, those who are distracting and diverting from the very real infiltration of our executive branch by the russians are the people who have put trump ahead of party and nation for their own insidious purposes. And those who drink from their propaganda machine are their victims.

Yes, I do want to see trump ousted legally and the sooner the better. Not because he is a "republican" and not because hillary lost (though I would've preferred she won) but because of who and what he IS. He is a criminal, a crook, fully compromised and beholden to the russians. He is shallow and disinterested in running the country. He suffers a personality disorder. He is a pathological liar who can't be trusted by our overseas allies or our own people. He is a weak leader who can be lead around by whoever is coaching him at that time. He holds the nuclear codes in his hands yet can't even be trusted with a twitter account. It is his very occupation of that position of power, for which he has no comprehension or appreciation, that makes our democracy and nation vulnerable.

I do not want to destroy our democracy. Rather I want to see our Constitution work to protect our nation from an incompetent who would be king.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Big flaw in your thinking. Polls show a majority doesn't like the direction the country is going.

Another flaw: You spend much more time thinking about Hillary losing than most Democrats do. We have moved on--disappointed that Hillary lost, but not nursing some kind of on-going seething anger as you seem to think. Appalled at Trump--yessiree! But we would be appalled by Trump no matter who the Democrat was that lost. We are not appalled by Trump because we are angry that Hillary lost, You really do obsess too much about Hillary losing, you know.

I have no idea what you mean by the claim that "the left [is] willing to destroy our democracy in order to bring down a president." Huh? What's in those cookies you've been nibbling? That is a wild claim--with no evidence to back it up other than your personal opinion.

The country elected Trump? No--the electoral college did. The majority of the voters voted against Trump.

You keep repeating these strange and incorrect views about current politics. Repetition will not make them more accurate or insightful.

Kate

10 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

As far as your prediction, I suggest that given his very low approval ratings and that even republicans and rabid spokespeople like Ann Coulter are turning on him, that the nation is far less interested in having trump take the nation anywhere than you may think.

Save    
momj47(7A)

Annie, I grew up during Vietnam. I've been a political junkie since I first registered to vote when I was 18.

You must so young, the voting age wasn't lowered to 18 until 1971

When I marched against the Vietnam war, like me, the people I marched with couldn't vote until we were 21.

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Where I will agree with you, mrskjun (not in this post but in others you've made) is that the dems need to offer a reasonable alternative for both traditional gop and independents as well as dems to vote for if they expect to win the next election. So far their ability to find a leader with a positive message for the nation has been wanting. I'm hoping the exercise the party is getting in finding their voice and their role in defending the nation against trump will bring someone to the top.

Then again, if we look at all the gop candidates, the vast majority of them were awful. I think Kasich was the only reasonable one in the bunch.

Save    
ojo_sigo

The term 'leader' is often misused because in reality, although a president is a figure head he leads a team of three factions that do the governing as was intended to avoid the abuses of a monarchy

Save    
joaniepoanie

WHEN is the right going to get it? How many times do we have to say we're not protesting because Hillary lost?! We're protesting because we have an unqualified, unfit person in the WH who has no clue what he's doing and has also put many unqualified people in the Cabinet and as advisors......plain and simple.

And I'm not so sure he won legitimately. There was a report yesterday that in Durham voter sign in machines had been hacked, which means when people tried to vote their names weren't there or other info was missing, so they were turned away. This problem also caused huge delays as they were trying to figure out and rectify the problem and people gave up and went home. So they have no idea how many voters showed up to vote but didn't. Durham is in a Dem county....gee...what a coinky dink.

We know there was some form of hacking in 25-30 states, coupled with the fact that the EC did not do their due diligence in seeing that an unfit person did not become president.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Joanie....I doubt he won legitimately because there are too many coincidences. Voter exit polls, targeted in swing states, voter records hacked, poll troubles with voters records not found in Dem areas, his unpopularity to this day with majority. It is no wonder he keeps trying to reassure himself he won.

Save    
momj47(7A)

How many times do we have to say we're not protesting because Hillary lost?! We're protesting because we have an unqualified, unfit person in the WH

They will never get it. The RW is afraid to face the truth. The RW forum members will probably go to their graves mumbling the RW mantra.

The RW spent 8 years being furious that President Obama won, they never got over it. And they can't comprehend that anyone else thinks other than they do.

The RW is pretty pathetic, all in all.

Save    
PRO
Kitchenwitch111

It's only Trump and his supporters that keep bringing up Hillary and the election. Maybe because Trump hasn't had a win since? The Dems are looking ahead, not behind.

1 Like Save    
Eliana

Lord, these tRump kissers are really getting tiresome! I ignore them individually and SOB any posts they start, but to see them repeatedly interrupt factual information with their inane blather and mantras is really getting old. They obviously have no qualms about showing the world that their intellectual abilities are on par with that nut job currently sullying our WH.

2 Likes Save    

The accusation that all criticism of Trump comes from anger over Hillary's loss is an attempt dismiss the very real problems with Trump, especially Mueller's investigstions, abysmal approval ratings, and Republican defections from the loyal and unquestioning support the he demands.

5 Likes Save    
SandyC.
"Now Antifa and Clinton are all the rw can obsess about"
I would add Comey to the list.
Save    
adoptedbyhounds

So who on this forum needed a "narrative" to figure out Antifa is a violent, dangerous, destructive gang of thugs?

2 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

only you so far

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

abh, ... and largely irrelevant. You forgot that antifa are largely irrelevant. They are a miniscule part of the electorate and have had minimal impact on anything other than the RW/RT media which needs to use them as a diversion from the alt-right white supremacist protests.

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

In Berkeley at the last event, there were an estimated 7,000 peaceful protesters and an estimated 100 antifa protesters.

Save    
jillinnj

He is who the country chose. Whatever you might think of him today, the left never planned to give him a chance since Nov. 8. So please don't pretend that the left had an epiphany after he started governing. The anger over Hillary's loss started the night of the election and the left can't let it go.

#1 - after Obama won, and on his first day, the GOP proclaimed they would do everything they could to obstruct everything he wanted to do, and to make him a one term President.

Where was your outrage then? Please point me to your posts because if as you claim your impartial and only have the best interests of the country in mind, you would have been outraged. RIGHT? So, show us those posts of your outrage. Oh, what's that? You cannot? Right, because you're being a hypocrite. Again.

I call that anger over the fact that a black Democrat beat a white Republican. And beat him soundly. And you and your kind did not let go of that anger for 8 years. Still haven't. In fact, it is one factor that lead to the election of the morally bankrupt bully in the White House today. And you will never criticize him no matter how morally bankrupt he shows himself to be because you're just happy to have a white Republican in the White House again.

#2 - nobody is pretending anything. It's his governing, or lack there of, that we have a problem with. He lies. In fact, he's incapable of telling the truth. He's trying to destroy everything that made this country great. And anyone with a conscience will speak out loud and clear about that. I'm sorry you don't have a conscience and you approve of his racist, White Supremacist hires, and policies.

#3 - I don't know a single Democrat that gives Clinton much thought. That's the past. What we are concerned with is the direction this country is headed. If you put aside your slanted view of everything and your hypocrisy for just a moment, you might be able to see that. I won't hold my breath. You've shown us who you are. You support a morally bankrupt bully and liar. You will have to live with that. Remember your comments about looking yourself in the mirror during the election? Well, how's that image looking today?

Save    
lilacinjust

So who on this forum needed a "narrative" to figure out Antifa is a violent, dangerous, destructive gang of thugs?

^^^^^

That was my first thought. I can see all I need to see on tv and publications, which range all across the political spectrum.

I don't do twitter or FB.

I guess DHS are also "victims" of Russian bots.

You just can't make this stuff up.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"You forgot that antifa are largely irrelevant."

LOL! I'll put this as gently as I can. You are in no position to tell me what I "forgot" to think.

You get to make your own assessments, and I will do the same. I understand the remedy for speech I don't like is more speech, not mob rule.

When I see masked thugs trying to shut down the free exchange of ideas by making threats against people and property, I'm going to consider them a criminal gang of great relevance who must be held accountable.

3 Likes Save    

DHS is victim of Team Trump's partisan politics.

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Wow. The insanity has reached "11".

Save    
ojo_sigo

All this fuss over some innocent statues and a lovely patriotic flag

Save    
mrskjun(9)

nancy said. The accusation that all criticism of Trump comes from anger over Hillary's loss is an attempt dismiss the very real problems with Trump, especially Mueller's investigstions, abysmal approval ratings, and Republican defections from the loyal and unquestioning support the he demands.

nancy I might consider what you are saying if it wasn't for the fact that this hatred of Trump started Nov. 8 2016. That half of the dems in congress did not even show up for the inauguration and within days Madonna was ready to blow up the White House. He hadn't even started governing yet. So sorry, it's all about Hillary losing the election.

Save    
lilacinjust

He hadn't even started governing yet.

^^^^^

As Antifa was rioting in the streets of D.C., destroying property, setting a muslim's limousine on fire, assaulting Trump supporters...and they'd planned it all well before Inauguration Day.

This is all about self-indulgence for the Left.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

. Even the most partisan conservatives should want the president to stop acting like a fool.

^^^^

Many have said that they want Trump to stop Tweeting and to be more of a healer than divider, but I think what liberals miss when it comes to conservatives is that the latter are more concerned with results than window dressing.

Conservatives are also keenly aware that monumental efforts to obstruct and keep the Left's base angry, which has had a negative result on moving the agenda that they voted for, forward.

Conservatives are WAY more upset at the Left and their leaders than they are at Trump.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)
2 Likes Save    

There were investigative reports reporting on Trump's shady business dealings, criminal business partners, lack of US credit sources, long history of lying, narcissism, etc that appeared early in the GOP primaries. Then the revelations re Bannon, Breitbart, and the unsavory bigots in that milieu -- including Spencer,

The anyone-but-Trump began early, far before the RNC where Trump did his best Mussolini impersonation in his acceptance speech.

Duce! Duce! Duce!

Save    

The DHS classification has everything to do with Trump politics, just as anti-Muslim executive orders, versions 1 and 2.

And that stupid wall.

Save    
ojo_sigo

There is still that confusion about who Antifa are, confusing them with the Black Bloc, the only reason that makes sense is wilful misunderstanding and repeating what had been proved false.

Furthermore I think the whole world was shocked by Trump's win simply because it seemed so unlikely considering what was known of the man. Speculation about what this would mean for the country is largely coming to pass.

Save    
lilacinjust

The DHS classification has everything to do with Trump politics,

^^^^^

And nothing to do with Antifa violence and destruction.

smdh

I guess Nancy Pelosi is under Trump's spell.

1 Like Save    

Classifying antifa as terrorist is not the same as condemning violence from some antifa members.

False equivalency.

Save    
lilacinjust

ojo_sigo

There is still that confusion about who Antifa are, confusing them with the Black Bloc

^^^^^

There's no confusion, just your obfuscation and gaslighting.

Both are violent and preach hate. Morally, they are the same. They are the same ideologues that spawned Hitler and Stalin.

Antifa practices Black Bloc tactics.

They have become one in the same. I don't give a damn where Antifa started. Who they are now, are terrorists.

Both groups are trying to destroy our rights.

Save    
jillinnj

Yes, many people were shocked he won. I certainly was one of them. And some conservatives here even admitted they were too.

We were rationally concerned about what he would do as President. Instead of calming those fears and acting Presidential, and getting to the work of leading this country, he did the exact opposite. Our fears were confirmed, ten fold. He's been much worse than even I thought he would be, and I thought he would be horrible.

So yes, we were worried, concerned, shocked after election day. We are now even more worried, concerned and shocked.

Anyone with a conscience would be.

And we will continue to speak out loud and clear about what we think of him, his morals and his Presidency.

It's clear you think that right only belongs to the right, but you're wrong. Dead wrong.

None of that in any way means anyone here condones violent protests. How many times and in how many ways does that need to be said before you'll get it?

Oh, never mind, I forgot you'll never get it. You're not capable of getting it. You're only capable of spreading lies.

4 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Classifying antifa as terrorist is not the same as condemning violence from some antifa members.

False equivalency.

^^^^^

A distinction without a difference at this point.

Save    
dockside_gw

"before he even started governing"

I intensely disliked Trump before he was even elected. When he showed me who and what he was during the campaign, I believed him. I knew even then that he would be a horrible president but never imagined just how horrible he actually turned out to be. Any of the other Republican candidates, even Cruz, have some redeeming qualities and wouldn't have done as much damage to this country and its reputation as the Liar-in-Chief.

Save    
dockside_gw

Jill, I wish I could like your post more than once. Very well stated.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

There's nothing more that needs to be known about anyone who would still wrap their arms around Antifa.

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

See, some of us rational folks were also shocked Trump won, but I overcame my trepidation and decided to face this Presidency with an open mind and a promise that I would never detest those who voted him into office.

I would never look at them the same way Hillary Clinton did.

It's served me well, when I look at the insane liberals on HT who are mean, nasty, angry and deplorable.

I'm glad I decided not to sink into the abyss which they occupy.

1 Like Save    

Occasional violence =/= terrorism.

Never has, never will.

Otherwise sports fans would be listed as terrorists.

Save    
lilacinjust

Occasional violence? OMG, do you actually believe that Antifa are equivalent to the occasional drunken brawl at a football game?

Jesus, this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

You are backing the wrong horse, nancy. I don't know why or what would posses anyone to have Antifa's back, but you are on the wrong side of history.

It breaks my heart.

2 Likes Save    

In order to defend Trump's many faults and errors, those criticizing him must be made to appear irrationally hateful.

So the demonstrably false narrative continues, and it's only revenge-filled lunatics who are against Dear Leader. Let's ignore Republican critics and defectors, foreign leaders -- conservative and otherwise -- who are criticizing Trump. They're just jealous.

Mr. Mueller, a nation turns its eyes to you!

3 Likes Save    

I am certainly rational, and I'm not the one making high drama in this thread.

Antifa is a distraction from the growing neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups in this country. These persons far outnumber antifa, and present a far greater danger.

The rise of Trump has created a political space in which they are free to operate. And Trump just expanded that space by pardoning Arpaio for his blatant racial profiling.

6 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

This is a wind up Nancy. You speak sense mimi attacks it with nonsense You speak sense mimi attacks it with nonsense You speak sense mimi attacks it with nonsense

3 Likes Save    
jillinnj

You got that right, ojo! Nancy is probably the calmest, most rational poster here!

---

Jesus, this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

Finally, something I can agree with. It sure it, and it's 100% because of the narcissist you fully support.

1 Like Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

"Antifa is a distraction from the growing neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups in this country. These persons far outnumber antifa, and present a far greater danger."

Agreed Nancy, I try to keep up with world events and never heard of antifa before it was brought up here and on fox news not too long ago. On the other hand I've heard of nazies, kkk, white supremists, aka alt right which blends together into a nasty tasting nazi soup (no soup for me). Has antifa driven a car into a crowd of people yet?, something that would be classified as a terrorist act anywhere else in the world. Violence of all kinds is abhorrent including bashing some nazies up side the head and property damage - Murder is something else. I doubt it comes to this but If it came down to a civil war between the nazi soup vs antifa which side would everyone like to see win that one, huh?

3 Likes Save    
SandyC.
On Fox "news" the other night, a white national yahoo was on commenting on the antifa protest in Berkeley, lol.
7,000 peaceful protesters and about 100 Antifa there to protest the anti Marxist white supremacist "free" speaker.
A new name for white supremacy is anti Marxist.
Same old white nationalism, new name.
Antifa and black bloc show up when the fascists come.
Of course the fascists want to incite violence with their spewing of hate.
I don't agree with the violence, in Berkeley I think there were 14 arrested .
Now mimi will say Antifa are fascists, but just realize she is incorrect and will never change her mind.
There is no equivalency with Nazis.
We fought Nazis and so did our allies. Those fighting fascists were not the same as the Nazis.
Save    
Jane

this country is going to hell in a handbasket.

You realize every generation says this, right?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carla-gardina-pestana/going-to-hell-in-a-handba_b_9013974.html

My favorite, from Gilmore Girls:

Rory: So, Grandpa, what's new in the world today?
Richard: Well, as usual, it's going to hell in a handbasket.
Rory: It's nice to always have something you can count on.

Save    
Ann

The rise of Trump

Weird way to put it. He is the duly elected president.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

There are a couple of things I really don't understand here.

1) mrskjun insists that trump hatred started the day he won the election and that the democratic resistance is all sour grapes that hillary lost. I suspect that's coming from RW media. What I don't understand is she has first hand contact with democratic supporters here (ojo, chase, momj, me, kate, et al) who have explained exactly why we react to trump as we do, yet she prefers the "RT media processed" version rather than the direct evidence she receives here. We aren't lying. We are telling it exactly what we feel and why. And we do not consult with each other off line to concoct a story...rather we are each coming to our conclusions independently, and the results are rather consistent. So why give more weight to the media lies than the direct evidence at hand?

2) antifa is a marginal extremist, and as the data shows, largely irrelevant group. If the data on berkeley is correct ... and antifa seems more active in those protests than elsewhere ... then 99% of the protesters were peaceful. They are certainly not a significant enough group to warrant triggering a civil war over, though some seem to be encouraging just that. Someone is magnifying their actions far beyond their relevance. I don't understand why those on the right aren't asking the question, who? In whose interest is it that civil war be fomented. In whose interest is it that antifa -- who I never even heard of until rw media started blasting it -- take on the persona of all that is wrong with the left?

If we look to the OP, their research answers the question of who and how and why. Isn't that a question that is at least worth asking? exploring what evidence exists as to what the answer is? I mean even if I didn't think I was being duped but enough people suggested I was, I'd check it out, just to see if there's a there there.

By saturating social media, they also hijack the mainstream media narrative and distract from the growing threat of organized right-wing extremism and white supremacist violence. Violence sells. Mainstream news outlets know this, too, which is why they often prioritize sensationalism over context. As Shane Bauer warned in his account of the events in Berkeley, “reporters shouldn’t lose sight of the big picture: Fascists and other far-right extremist groups in America are visible and organized in a way that they haven’t been in decades.” Only this time, they’re harnessing the power of social media to increase their visibility — and Russia is helping them do it.

Save    
Nothing Left to Say

Related to the orginal post.

After violent protests rocked Charlottesville, Virginia last month, Republican Senator John McCain took to Twitter to condemn hatred and bigotry and urge President Donald Trump to speak out more forcefully.

Then pro-Russian bots got activated on social media.

Within hours, an online campaign attacking McCain -- a frequent Trump critic -- began circulating, amplified with the help of automated and human-coordinated networks known as bots and cyborgs linking to blogs on “Traitor McCain” and the hashtag #ExplainMcCain.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-01/russia-linked-bots-hone-online-attack-plans-for-2018-u-s-vote

Save    
finn flanman
3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Thanks for the link, finn. Very informative article.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

When I see masked thugs trying to shut down the free exchange of ideas by making threats against people and property, I'm going to consider them a criminal gang of great relevance who must be held accountable.

Fine. Hold them accountable for their actions.

But don't then use their behavior as an excuse to paint the entire democratic party and left leaning voters violent extremists who hate America and are out to overthrow the government, and trump, and deserve to be put down with violence.

And don't be fooled like so many in the RW media are by fake antifa sites that say what the RW wants to believe rather than how it is. There are those who intend to incite violence, and it's not the democrats.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

But on his way out Mr. Bannon said something interesting. “The Democrats,” he told Robert Kuttner, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

Source: WSJ

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Homes Around the World How to Get Authentic French Style in Your Home
Move over Shabby Chic and French Provincial. These myths and realities reveal the real look of French decor
Full Story
Most Popular How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes Indoors and Out
Follow these tips to keep your summer bite-free and healthy despite the uptick in mosquito-borne diseases
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Building Permits: What to Know About Green Building and Energy Codes
In Part 4 of our series examining the residential permit process, we review typical green building and energy code requirements
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More