SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sirk9895

Need privacy hedge < 10ft wide, that grows 10-20'

K
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi! I am in southern north jersey. Zone 6b or 7, depending on who you ask.

My backyard is trapezoidal in shape, and I am looking for some privacy from my rear neighbors (where the yard is more narrow-- approximately 40-50' from house to 4' chain link fence). There are some mature Ash and Oak trees there-- approximately 30' apart from each other, on the other side of the fence.

This area gets sun from 1:30pm until about 5pm during the summer. We also have lots of deer.

I am torn. My wife really likes Skip Laurel. I have been considering North Privet (Ligustrum x ibolium ), as the Skip Laurel costs $40 a plant, but the Privet is $10 a plant (I can get juvenile North Privet from Arbor Day Foundation for $2.50 a plant--I hear they grow like a weed, so this may be an option as well).

I realize that there are serious issues with other variants of Privet, but I dont think Ligustrum x ibolium is considered invasive in NJ... I do realize that I would have to trim the privet--a lot. (more than once a month?)... Are there any other true negatives for this particular variant of privet?

Any other suggestions I should look at? Other suggestions was Japanese Willow Hakaro Nishiki) and Burning Bush (but I think I saw thats invasive in NJ??)... Yet another suggestion was to get Green Giant Arborvitae and keep cropping the top once it hits my desired height--but I worry that would chew up too much yard space due to its mature width...

Then there is cost: I need to cover approx 88 linear feet. So (assuming 3' spacing on Skip Laurel), I need 29-30 plants (almost $1,200!). With privet, I am looking at $300. Hence my leaning in that direction...

Of course, I could start with smaller amounts (say, 10 plants at a time)...

Thanks so much (in advance) for any advice. I am such a novice :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!