SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurkb

Help! My 1970s home's exterior is having an identity crisis!

Elle B
6 years ago

Recently bought this home because of the great neighborhood and nicely updated interior. The exterior, however, is not-quite-totally-contemporary, and has some hints of typical suburban colonial like the roof line etc. It was listed as a colonial in the records and is located in Northern VA. The house was built this way, with the carport closed in to form the garage later. It has yucky T1-111 siding and was painted by the previous owners.

It looks blah and cold to me. Not friendly at all and zero curb appeal. We are planning to paint/stain the trim Cabot Navajo White and are replacing the garage doors.

I have no clue what to do with the garage doors. When I look at contemporary door options, they look TOO contemporary for the house design. When I look at traditional designs, those don't quite work either.

My dilemma is, how can I make this house cute, charming, and welcoming?! My dream is to one day tear out the windows on top and re-orient them in a symmetrical fashion. ANY suggestions welcome - paint, adding some visual interest, etc!

Comments (14)