SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nita_reddy

How to stain "giraffe rock" facade so it's not orange?

Nita Reddy
6 years ago

Hello! We just bought this 1980's built house, and the orange Ozark "giraffe" rocks are making me insane. It clashes with the rest of the house. I actually like the color of the siding (the shutters are going), but need to neutralize this stone. I don't particularly like the painted stone look, and am hoping for some advice from anyone who has stained or dyed similar rock to neutralize the orange. What products and colors did you use?

I would like to retain as natural a look as possible.

(A little more info--there are a few more houses in the neighborhood with this stone. Most have whitewashed theirs, and while the color is easier to work with, again, I don't like that painted stone look. One has retained the original color and has painted the psuedo-Tudor exterior to match. Most of the houses have either brick or no veneer.)

Oh, yeah--and there's this 2-story fireplace to contend with, too. I'm already frightened of whatever I decide to do here, but complicated processes are not an option!

The orange-y-ist of the photos is the true color, but the siding is a tad deeper grayish brown in hue, almost a taupe.

Thanks!!!

Comments (34)