SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pampruitt

Need Advice From GCs about House Build

pampruitt
6 years ago

We are almost to the end of our house build. The Builder is a largish company and we have a Project Manager handling our build.

Our problems started with the drywall and paint crew. The drywall was installed and mudded during a very rainy and humid time. The tray ceiling corners were rounded and dimpled and you could see tape and joints in every room. One tray ceiling has a bubble under the tape that runs for 8+ feet.

After one sanding the paint crew came in and started spraying. Then they rolled half the house and stopped. Meanwhile, baseboard has been installed and some of it looks really bad. Crooked ends on half walls that are very noticeable.

Our flooring has now been installed and our appliances. Every new trade that comes into the house causes new damage. I am wondering, at this point, if this house will ever be finished. We have spoken to the Project Manager and he tells us to wait till everything is done. Or in his words "Let them finish".

I have just been amazed at all the trades lack of care for their work. Yesterday the carpet people came and laid carpet on a concrete slab that still had drywall mud globs on it. I walked into the house barefoot, per the Project Manager's note on the front door and immediately stepped onto what feels like a rock under the carpet in the master bedroom. Then I found more by walking around the room. Its a large room and I didn't have to walk on much of it.

I don't want to be a pain in the butt, but I am starting to feel like my house is being built by Curly Moe & Larry. Is this normal for construction today? Below is a list of everything that has gone wrong so far. Not to be picky, but just as explanation.

1. Plumbing lines in slab miss figured causing hot water heater pipes to feed into master closet.

Rerun through the ceiling and pipes in closet cut off.

2. Cut in foyer ceiling not repaired by drywall crew, causing light fixture to be broken after being moved several times.

3. Master bedroom window framed off center by 3', just left that as is-siding was finished and drywall installed. I can live with it. Its at the back of the house and fits my furniture better.

4. Whirlpool tub in master installed with no access to pump-still not resolved.

5. Drywall issues mentioned above-still not resolved

6. Drywall screw through plumbing line causing master closet to flood into master bath, master bedroom, laundry room and garage. Partially resolved. We now have a large, mudded but not sanded square in master closet.

7. Fan in attic wired backwards causing heat pump to freeze up. Resolved.

8. Laundry room tile removed and relayed after confusion in contract about tile in both kitchen AND kitchenette/breakfast nook and hallway to laundry room. Pattern wouldn't line up.

Is this a normal amount of problems or am I just over reacting. This is our first and last new house build. It is being built next door and I work from home, so I see a lot of the progress.

Thank you for any input!

Comment (1)