SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Huckleberry not producing but is flowering

PacNorWreck
6 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping someone has experience growing Vaccinium Ovatum (Evergreen Huckleberry) and might be able to help me determine why my shrubs are not producing fruit. I currently have 6 of them planted, purchased from a reputable local nursery in 2015 and 2016. They grow slowly but consistently for me, even in the height of summer, and have flowered the past two seasons. The flowers seem to be shriveling and drying without any fruit growth. I do see some immature fruit, but they seem to disappear by late summer and I'm guessing that the plant is aborting them. I don't think I have a pollination issue, as I have a lot of bees around my property and my blueberries planted 3-stories up on my roof all get pollinated and mature well.

My best two guesses are either a shortage of water, or the plants simply aren't old enough. My watering tends to be 8 hours per week from a soaker hose wrapped around their base, more if it's an especially hot week (temperatures above 85F). I don't think I'm over-watering, as I have creeping thyme not far from the same soaker hose that hasn't died back at all.

Any advice, theories, or feedback would be much appreciated - thanks!

Comments (8)