SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph_castonguay

need help choosing the right laminate/stain for stairs

Steph Castonguay
6 years ago

Hi Houzzers! I am looking to find a beautiful and durable laminate for my open concept layout (approx. 400sf of laminate). The house is a semi-custom (builder plan but I choose all the finishes) and unfortunately a few of the cosmetic upgrades are only affordable after we close and we can do them ourselves. Throughout the main level, all the ceramic tile (breakfast area, kitchen, powder room and landing, foyer) is Andes 13x13 Light Grey. Kitchen is white Thermofoil cabinets (pic of a different house by same builder), countertop is "Granite Grey" laminate, all hardware and appliances are smudgeproof stainless steel/brushed nickel. The family room, dining area and parlour will all be done in a light ivory carpet. I would like to replace said carpet with laminate (hardwood would be nice, but not practical at this time-we have three little kids under 8yr old and the goal is something that's very easy to maintain, can still take a beating, and for a very tight budget; also hate the idea of carpet in dining area! yuck ). The oak staircase will be "natural oak stain" (EWWW) so we are having it refinished with white painted risers and the treads stained to match the laminate. Would like something with texture and not totally uniform so we can get the weathered, natural wood look. I have attached some pictures of what we have going in, plus some pictures of laminate/oak stairs so you see the look i'm going for (white, grey, natural wood). Does it go well with my kitchen and tile? please give me your suggestions and opinions of flooring (at this point, nothing else can be changed except carpet/laminte areas- everything else is set in stone). and please no dark brown lol all I have heard is how hard it is to keep clean because you see everything. thanks for your tips!!!

pictures: (1)floor plan; (2) ceramic tile (3) thermofoil cabinets (4) laminate countertop (5-7) style I like for laminate floors/ oak stairs

Comments (9)