SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_43451494

A/C replacement quote evaluation

6 years ago

OK, so it's time to replace our old A/C. We have a functioning 5 ton Comfortmaker 12 SEER with a slowly worsening high pressure leak. Matched gas furnace.

Location is north Texas and the house is a 1987 build with original double pane windows, typical insulation with an added 6-8' in the attic. Brick exterior, single story, 2200 sqft, slab foundation.

Current A/C runs well, cools the house to 74 in up to 110 degree exterior heat, but is running flat out at that point. Otherwise, cycles well and keeps indoor humidity in the 40-50% range easily. Currently has two 20"x20" returns with 1" filters maintained on each. Heating is just fine. Electrical usage is exemplary compared to neightbors, so that's not a concern...gas usage is OK, but not great.

Manual J estimates run in the 4.79 to 5.14 range, depending on assumptions on insulation and such, but I'm comfortable with replacing the current 5 ton unit with a new 5 ton unit.

My long time A/C company has come out and quoted me on replacement. They feel I'm under-returned, and want to add a 10"x10" in the master bedroom and a 20"x20" outside the master, in the vestible between the master and the living room. The other returns are well situated, but the master is always a bit warmer, due to it's remoteness from the other returns?

So, the proposal is to rotate the new unit in the attic 90 degrees to improve access (currrent access sucks, terible layout, which is why I use return filters) and duct alignment.

They propose a Carrier 16 SEER Comfort 24ABC660A003, a Carrier Comfort 80% 90,000 BTU gas furnace 58STA090-1-20 and a Carrier 5-Ton evaporator coil CNPHP6124ALA. Also new supply pelnums, a dual filter return plenum, emergency drain pan, float switch and concrete slab. The proposal cost is $7,480.

My concerns/questions/thoughts are:

1) Carrier Comfort series vs Performance series (or Infinity) in this high A/C use area.

2) Single speed vs two/multi-speed

3) Noise, the outside unit is about 4-5 feet from one of my master bedroom windows.

4) 16 SEER doesn't bother me, but as I understand it, Infinty is only 17 up now.

5) I'm not unlimited on budget, but I'm not trying to be the cheapest...I do prefer Carrier equipment though.

Comments (14)