SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notthemarinebiologist

Need help identifying cause of sickly Elephant Ear plant

Art Vandelay
6 years ago

I was gifted a Elephant Ear plant only a couple of weeks ago, it was looking rather sad but has begun to look sadder still. I have a number of plants looking worse for wear, so it's something I'm either doing or not doing.

I've taken some pictures of the leaves that look unwell, to try to give an indication of what could be wrong. Please feel free to ask questions if I haven't covered what's needed to help figure this out.

It came to me with very sopping wet soil, I read up on it and understand it's a plant that likes a fair amount of sun though not direct and it does enjoy moisture. I've placed in a window facing east. I'm in zone 9b. I let the soul dry out a bit when I was first gifted the plant because the leaves were looking rather unwell and there were what looks like bite marks on the leaves. I thought I would wait to see if there was anything like fungus gnats or something similar present, though I don't think they eat leaves! It's been watered since evenly and I've allowed the water to run through the pot.

If anyone can help me figure this out, that would be great. I'm new to all of this, and you guys helped me before with another plant. Don't worry there's more coming! I hope I can learn how to care for them properly. Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to help.

Comments (3)