SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Advice on pet hair and vacuums

Kendrah
6 years ago

My back isn't great and we have a large, three story, hardwood floor, 160-year-old house with steep stairs. My bi-weekly house cleaner uses our 10 year old Miele, which works like a charm, but I cannot lug it around for my in-between cleanings. Swiffering every few days between cleanings worked well with our other dogs, but the swiffer is no match for our new dog who sheds like mad.

My thought is to get a lightweight rechargable vacuum that converts from stick for rooms to handheld for stairs. Does anyone have recommendations for one that works well on pet hair and is easy to maneuver? Is everything else just going to pale in comparison to my Miele?

Comments (82)

• Mary Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Oh, the never-ending search for the perfect vacuum! Just a word of caution if you have new carpet (or almost new). Shortly after we had our last carpeting installed, there seemed to be some issues with the pile. Back and forth with the company regarding the warranty, and they sent out an independent inspector. Without even looking at the carpet, his first question is "show me your vacuum". Moral of the story? A Dyson vacuum VOIDS all carpet warranties.

• User
    6 years ago

Holy Moly Mary!!!

• Related Discussions

Vacuum for long pet hair

Q

Comments (10)
    I bought the new Kenmore Intuition cannister vac and can't believe how well it does everything. I thought my 10 year old Hoover top of the line was pretty good but it wasn't even close. I have a penchant for well-engineered things and the intuition is like the swiss army knife of vacuums. It works great on our pet hair but it isn't overly long. The good thing about Kenmore products and Sears in general is that you can practice with it in the store. Might want to try that and see if you find one that works... b
    ...See More

What vacuum for wood floors w/ pet hair & sand?

Q

Comments (11)
    Claudia, Your Kenmore should do very well on floors, as well as carpeting. The Kenmore canisters clean very well. What you need to do is disconnect the power nozzle and attach the floor brush when you clean the floors. The vacuum cleaner will then pick up all the hair, sand and dirt on the floor. There is no need to purchase another vacuum cleaner unless you just have the desire to do so. Your Kenmore was made by Panasonic, so there would be no need to purchase a Panasonic. The two brands have almost identical parts. If you read the posts from two Panasonic canister owners, you will see that theirs also cleans floors well. What you might be doing is vacuuming the floors with the power nozzle. The best, and easiest way, is to just use the floor brush attachment, on the vacuum cleaner, when cleaning the floor. Change the bag when it is no more than 3/4 full and replace the filter at appropriate time.
    ...See More

good vacuum for pet hair on hard floors?

Q

Comments (1)
    We had keeshonds (now deceased and I miss them so) and used Metro Data Vac in tight spaces and Pro Team commercial backpack-type vacuums on our hardwood floors. The latter were recommended by our floor installer. Here is a link that might be useful: Here is one source.
    ...See More

Do you have the pet-hair Roomba?

Q

Comments (11)
    I posted this last year when someone else asked the same question. ............ My lab just ignores the Roomba. She likes to lay on the throw rug and totally ignores it when it bumps into her. The only problem we had was that she learned to touch the big green ON/OFF button with her nose while it's running and then it turns off. I had to cover the button with a piece of black plastic so that she doesn't see it. If you want a good laugh just go on you Tube and google Roomba and dogs or cats...there are some really funny videos to watch. As for the Roomba..... It works really well on tile. It works OK on carpets. Just know that it isn't going to remove dirt that's down between the carpet fibers. The surface will look fine- it will pick up dog hair, threads and other noticeable dirt but it doesn't have the suction power or strong brushes to thoroughly clean rugs. My model is a 700 series. The other issue I have - and it might not be a problem for you - is that my kitchen floor is ceramic and my throw rugs are fairly thick. As it vacuums the little sweeper brush sweeps the dirt onto the floor and the Roomba leaves a perimeter of dirt around the area rugs. One wheel of the Roomba is on the tile and the other is slightly higher on the rug and the Roomba doesn't have a strong enough suction to suck up the dirt. So I now roll up all my throw rugs so that the Roomba can do the entire floor. It does take significantly longer for the Roomba to vacuum than if you simply ran the sweeper yourself. It isn't very quiet and the noise can get annoying if you're sitting in the same room. You can always turn it on and leave the room or better yet - leave the house. It is handy at getting under beds. I place it in the bedroom, shut the door and let it vacuum away. I have to remember to roll up my one throw rug that has long, thin fringe or the small sweeper foot on the Roomba will get tangled it in. You do need to clean it regularly - the dirt bin is small and fills quickly and you also have to clean the brushes, wheels and air filters.
    ...See More
  • fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

This got my attention because of the warranty story (plus the cute dog picture).

A few years ago I spent lots of money for an upgrade carpet from Home Depot. It came with a 15 year warranty (had three dogs, it was time).

After about two months I noticed that it looked like it was not wearing well. I had a new vacuum, dogs get feet cleaned on a regular basis, no shoes worn in the house.

I called HD, they told me a representative from carpet co. would need to do an inspection.

Rep. took one look at it and said it was my vacuum, without even looking at what I was using. He also stated that I was going to have to live with what I will politely call a piece of crap. NOT!

I was in contact on a regular basis with HD where I purchased carpet and they knew very well that I was not happy and that the carpet would probably not last another year let alone 15. After a few months of getting nowhere but frustrated, I contacted HQ for HD in Atlanta.

That is when things really took a turn. Customer service informed me that another rep was going to have to inspect the carpet, even though first idiot took photos. I then informed HD that I was extremely unhappy with their product and that they needed to be embarrassed by how this process was going and for selling a defective product.

Customer service at Hd HQ informed me that the fact that I was not happy about what was going on had nothing to do with the transaction.

I was a bit stunned that those words came out of this persons mouth and said WHAT did you just sat?? Person repeated statement and I said NOW YOU JUST WAIT A MINUTE HERE. The fact that I am not happy with HD has EVERYTHING do with this transaction.

I then stated that if I didn’t get satisfaction within 24 hours, I would be calling HD president to get it.

The next day, I got call from HD HQ stating that I would get A full refund.

I collected names all through this mess.

I have gone to presidents of companies more times than I can count to get satisfaction fore poor product or service.

Mike

• Mary Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Just to clarify, we had an INDEPENDENT carpet inspector (he did not work for the carpet company, nor the retailer), so that is one difference. He asked to see our vacuum, (it was a Hoover), and then told us, that had it been a Dyson, our warranty would be completely void.

That was 5 years ago. Maybe the warranties have changed by now. We've moved on.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

I really moved on also, sold the house.

Mike

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

Is there anywhere on He's site where it s what kind of vacuum voids their warranty?

We bought our carpet at Lowe's. Also has a warranty. Ours is the Stain Master, Pet Protect. I wasn't told that I had to use specific vacuums but now I'm concerned as all my vacuums are the Dyson stick ones, just various models. I find they're easiest to use and work best on dust and pet hair.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

Mine was Stain Master also (supposed to be, I really don't think I got what I paid for).

I also did not get advice on what type of vacuum to use (mine was a new Hoover). What really did it for me was inspector informed me that I wasn't caring for my carpet well and vacuum was not functioning properly.

What I do know is carpet was not wearing well (especially because I'm really picky about keeping it look nice, no shoes in the house, etc.) and there was no possible way it was going to last.

I did consult with alternate Stain Master dealers and they told me I should not be having the experience.

Since then I have discovered that I was fortunate to get a refund but I simply will not tolerate bad service or product especially when I'm getting nowhere. If the process had not gone the way it did I would have contacted HD president when I said I would.

Mike

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

Okay it’s a bit odd for a company to restrict the brand of vacuum you can use on carpet purchased from them so as to not void the warranty - this planned obsolescence problem is getting really bad. If the carpet can’t handle certain vacuums then maybe the manufacturer needs to take it out of their product lines until it does handle all vacuum brands.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

Given my experience I'm beginning to wonder if it's a carpet company's way of getting out of a warranty issue. If not for my persistence I would have had to settle for a crappy rug........

Mike

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

Unless it was explicitly stated under the terms, I don’t see how it precludes enforcement.

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

I just found and read the warranty for Stainmaster if purchased from Lowe's. Apparently the same company has different warranties depending on where you buy it..

Anyway, nowhere did it mention the type of vacuum you can or can't use. But it did say this:

"This limited warranty specifically excludes damage from pets or
    such things as tears, pulls, cuts, pilling, burns, furniture casters,
    athletic equipment, vacuum marks or heavy wheeled devices."

I don't know how they would determine vacuum marks, at least it's not something that I've ever noticed, but they're the "experts" soo..

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

I agree but it could be a possible way out for a company that does not want to honor warranty for a defective product.

Also, keep in mind, that there are lots of folks out there who would not go through what I did to get satisfaction. They might settle for less. Only because I've had so much experience with this type of thing did I know what to do, what to say and when to say it. HD was on the defensive from my first complaint.

This thread is getting away from pet issues..........sorry...

Mike

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

No apology necessary. Most brands high pet hair control features as a selling point. I bought my Shark explicitly for that purpose and am hurrying off to read the warranty!

• tatts
    6 years ago

This month's (January 2018) Consumer Reports has an article that tests uprights, sticks, and robots.

• Steve J
    6 years ago

A word of advice for Roombas and pets. If your dog has any issues with accidents where the Roomba goes, and it gets in touch with it, you will walk into a horror story of biblical proportions in your house should it happen when you are away. I dont own a Roomba, but there are horror stories online about them. No way I’d ever own one and my dog doesnt have accidents. Its just not worth the risk for me.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

If you "housebreak" your dog there is absolutely no problem. Had a Neato Vac and many, many dogs (including puppies) for a long time.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

I have this vision of my 80 pound dog throwing up when I'm not home (simply because that's what dogs do and can't help it) and the Roomba doing it's think with the puke, all over my new rug...........

I will never have one of these things in my house.

I also hate the term "housebreak" (what do people do break their dog)?? "House train" seems a lot lot more appropriate,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

With my Roomba, it got stuck too often and would miss the docking station, or wouldn't be able to position itself just right to dock. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened enough so that now only use it when I'm home.

It's just an extra tool in my constant fight to get all the dog hair..lol. But it would never replace my Dyson.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

Mike, google said the term stems from the owner’s desire to break the habit of eliminating in the house.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It's a term that I have used for 70 years. I have never mistreated nor struck a dog (or other animal.) You need to get around more.

UC Davis Book of Dogs

"Critical periods in puppy development"

"Human Socialization Period (7 to 12 Weeks):

The pup has the brain wave of and adult dog. The best time for going
    to a new home. He now has the ability to learn respect, simple
    behavioral responses: sit, stay, come. Housebreaking begins. He now
    learns by association. The permanent man/dog bonding begins, and he is
    able to accept gentle discipline and establish confidence."

Do you call a crate a "cage?" lol

Do your dogs routinely throw up around your house as in, "(simply because that's what dogs do and can't help it)" While that may happen rarely, if it is happening routinely because that's what dogs do you need to consult a Vet. This is not "normal."

• User
    6 years ago

Humans call them "crates" to make themselves feel better about putting their dog in a cage. It is what it is imho, and changing the term for comforts sake seems silly...

Anyhow....If you have pets you get used to messes...And the odds of poop/vomit being smeared across the floor is low enough for me not to worry about it.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

Crate is the term used by dog Exhibitors, Breeders, lovers, and caretakers.

Cage is a moronic term used by people that do not know how to use a crate for the benefit of the dog.

Example above.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

This forum is going somewhere I don't have time for. This is my last post in the pets forum category.

Mike

• User
    6 years ago

If it makes you feel better...it's a crate.

But it's STILL a structure made of wire that you put your animal in when YOU decide it "benefits" it to be there.

(Personally I can't think of a more accurate definition of what a cage is.....)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

What does all this have to do with vacuums?

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

Another moronic statement made by someone that not only does not crate but hasn't demonstrated the curiosity to learn.

I have had my seven year old Greyhound for three years, having come to me from the track in Tampa, FL, at that time.

The crate was used to contain her during the first two months I had her - when I had to leave the house and neve for more than a couple of hours. This prevented her from crossing behavior boundaries that she had absolutely zero knowledge of! (Her life at the track had not exposed her to furniture, stairs, had floors, glass windows, etc, etc.

Any time I was home, she was not crated.

A CRATE IS NEVER USED TO PUNISHED! DO I NEED TO SAY "NEVER" AGAIN?

For the last nearly three years her crate has remained in its original location and I have had occasion maybe twice to shut the door on it. She goes into it on her own as a refuge from too much din or activity.

If I have a house guest that is afraid of dogs, for example, or a visitor that I felt might be careless about shutting the door when coming or going (think repairman)I might tell her, "Willow, in your crate." and latch the door. She'd sleep while in there.

This past holiday week I had my four young granddaughters and their parents visiting. Frequently Willow would leave her bed(s) and go into her crate to get away from the raucus - and we all know that we never, ever go into the dog's crate!

Willow's crate is in my Living room as is one of her two beds. (The other in my Bedroom. If I am home, she generally is in the same room as I am.) If I'm watching TV in the Living room, it's about 50-50 as to whether she sleeps in her crate or in her bed. Her call!

Prior to my current dog, I exhibited and bred (English) Bulldogs and typically had 4 or 5 adults living with my other family and I. They all had their own crate, and only rarely would the door be shut and and latched while at home - similar to as above. When traveling or at a Show Arena they were securely and safely locked in their own home away from home with no extra stress.

A lead or leash is generally accepted as a necessary "tool" require for good animal husbandry. However a lead or leash used improperly could be called a cruel or torturous rope.

A properly used crate is no more a cage than a lead is cruel. An ignorant pet owner can turn either tool into something bad - don't blame the tool, blame the ignoramus!

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

"What does all this have to do with vacuums?"

Don't run the robot vacuum while the dog is loose, or crated. I have never crated a dog while running my robot Vac because i never run the Vac unless I am present to supervise the robot and, of course, the dogs.

My cats and dogs learned that the Neato 11 Vac would not run into them while they were sleeping on the floor so they ignored it.

• User
    6 years ago

Well, I happen to think that cages are wrong.

I also happen to think that name-calling is wrong.

I guess we disagree on both counts.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

After I tried to explain what Crating was about you continue to troll by calling a crate a cage?

I never called you a name.

Saying something or somethings moronic is not calling you a name.

Clearly you don't know what a moronic statement is...

I suppose that the UC Davis Book of Dogs and you disagree on the value of "housebreaking" a dog and ascribe that term to something cruel like "crate" or "lead?"

Absolutely incredible!

• KD
    6 years ago

Our rescue LOVES his crate. We got it not expecting to use it much, but as soon as it was set up he went right in. So we left it set up for him - he will even open the door (from the outside) to go in. He likes to hide all his toys in his bedding in there.

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

I think most dogs take to crates naturally. They seem to love enclosed spaces, makes them feel safe.

We never crate trained our two, but they seemed to know instinctively that it was a safe place, and use them when they're done playing, or want to get away from guests. Things like that - when they want peace and quiet.

• User
    6 years ago

Humans have taught dogs to go into cages. And yes, it's for the benefit and convenience of the human--NOT the dog. Change the verbiage to make yourself feel better...but think of all of the ways they were called, and are called cages now and historically....it's the same thing.

I'm done with this conversation as I don't stoop to name-calling..

You have a peaceful day and try to understand that others may see things differently than you do. I will continue to believe that crating is a form of abuse and I will not argue that stance. Others who have commented have given their opinion and it doesn't agree with mine but they have given it respectfully, as have I. And that's a good thing.

(Also...try to relax. Dog's pick up on tension and don't behave as well...)

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

Penny, it's fine to have your own opinion, we all do. But regarding crates, professionals that study animal behavior, veterinary behaviorists specifically are all for it for many of the reasons listed.

Having an opinion is fine if it's based in studies, and facts.. not if it's based on feelings or emotions. Hell, that's what got us Trump ;)

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

I've crated all my dogs. I'd rather they be safe and secure when I'm not home. Mine loved their crate and would lay in it on their own. When I had it set up for the puppy, I'd have to drag the older dog out of it.

But back to vacuums. I bought one of those cordless Dyson handhelds. Yeah... total fail, I took it back. I am a huge Dyson fan, have never had a complaint about their vacuums (other than price), but this one was a turd. Only worked on max, and that meant the battery only lasted 15 mins.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

When people here state that they have a crate that the dog goes into on its own and that the owner doesn't shut the door, it is an absolutely ridiculous statement to claim that this is abusive... the dog is going into it's lair without prompting.

Indeed, if one does not do not do all they can to protect their dog, it is arguably actual abuse and to accuse others of abuse shows a certain something about that person and their treatment of dogs.

• Steve J
    6 years ago

Penny and Salti, if you’d like to talk about the obviously polarizing topic of crating or not, please start your own thread instead of continuing to ruin this one. You both obviously have strong feelings one way or another much like politics or religion and you’re not going to change each other’s minds. But if you’d like to keep trying, start your own thread so the few of us that would like to hear about the actsul topic of this thread can do so in peace.

• KD
    6 years ago

I will say our dude has the WORST hair. He’s got a short coat (American Bulldog) so you’d think it wouldn’t be too bad, but no. He sheds ALL THE TIME and the little hairs get into everything and stick there. I feel like I need tweezers to clean up after him, not a vacuum.

Any tips for short hair greatly appreciated, previous dogs have all had longer fur which is a different set of problems.

• nannygoat18
    6 years ago

Pirate, I have a short-haired super-shedder and posted previously

I've tried the Furminator, weekly grooming and finally settled for a $10 long-haired cat comb. The backyard looks like a rug after I've brushed him.

Also, I bathe him every two weeks. Short of shaving him down, it's impossible to control. Like mine, your dog may also have a double-coat which quadruples the shedding.

• Cheryl Smith
    6 years ago
    Dysentery stick but make sure it has the "fluffy brush" very light weight and easy to use charges in mounting hanger every night
  • Cheryl Smith
    6 years ago
    Dyson dyson dyson spell check I wrote it correctly.
  • tiffany66
    6 years ago

My favorite tool for hair and so many other things is the FURemover / Sweepa Rubber Broom. Its great for use on wood floors and low pile carpeting between vacuuming. Very light weight and I can use it with one hand, so no strain because you pull it not push it. My broom is going on 20 years old and still in great shape, but thinking of getting their larger one. They also have a small hand-held brush for pets, upholstery, stairs, edges, etc.

Can be used inside and out. Good for other things like scrubbing floors, cleaning baseboards, washing windows, cars, snow removal off cars, etc. because it doesn't scratch. See the video for details. Every year I give them as gifts and the people love them. There are many vendors who sell this broom so check online prices, name is now FURemover but used to be Sweepa. In case you can't tell, I love, love, love this broom.

FURemover / Sweepa Rubber Broom

FURemover / Sweepa Brush

FURemover / Sweepa Broom Video

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

I actually laugh every time I see Dysentery stick, so I'd leave it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

I bought a Swiffer floor duster over the weekend because the way I have the bedroom set up in my new house it's hard to get the wand of the canister all the way under the bed back to the wall. The Swiffer works great under the beds because of its low profile, so problem solved there. I decided to Swiffer the rest of the floors just for the heck of it, and I was surprised it was so darn good at picking up the dog hair! I don't have a super-shedder, but she sheds enough, I think the Swiffer will be great for between vacuumings as a quickie picker-upper, it is really fast to Swiffer a floor. Also, to pick up hair before I do very quick wipe-up of the paw prints on the floor - we have a mud room with those water-trapper mats, which work great but still get a few paw prints in the kitchen when she comes in from outside through the mud room. Anyway, just a suggestion for quickly picking up the dog hair without dragging out the machinery. I got the dry Swiffer, would never use the wet stuff they sell on wood floors.

• swrite
    6 years ago
    I’m not sure how it would do on dog hair, but I can’t handle big, heavy vacs, so got a Shark Navigator Freestyle for my stairs since the Roomba can’t do those yet. It’s light enough and easy enough to maneuver that it doesn’t hurt me to drag it up and down across the steps. It’s got a small canister, so just good for quick touch ups or smaller spots the big vacs can’t get into. I also like that it’s cordless and stands up on its own, unlike some of the other cordless models. It’s basically a mini, cordless version of the regular Shark Navigators.
  • KD
    6 years ago

I wonder if I can just swiffer the dog...

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

If the dog will sit for that might as well give it a try...;)

• juliewho
    6 years ago

I also love my Shark Rotator Professional. It isn't overly heavy and 7 years later still picks up like it always did. I have 5 dogs all shedders. Another huge reason that I love it is that I can easily break it apart to wash the components with SOAP and WATER! I bought extra filters so I do not have to wait for them to dry again. I wash the canister and filters after every use. I am kind of lazy, so clearly this an easy thing to do or I wouldn't do it every time, haha. I have a wonderful woman who helps me with cleaning every two weeks and she asks to keep one of my Sharks at her house whenever we go on vacation. (She'll be getting one from me next Christmas-great lady and a real champ to clean for me all these years with 5 dogs under foot!) Being able to wash it means I don't end up with that funky dog smell while using it. After using it for a while I decided to buy one for every level of my house. I waited for sales. With 5 dogs they are not groomed as well as they should be so this vacuum has been a wonder.

• Ellie RK
    6 years ago

Excellent Article Here comparing various Sharks and Dysons.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

If you subscribe to Consumers Reports, they have a full review of vacuums, including Bots, this month. (Jan 2018)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    6 years ago

I wonder if I can just swiffer the dog...

LOL!

(Actually, that is kind of a good idea...)