SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne1945

Dark, Busy Rectangular Living Room with Too Many Focal Points

Jeanne
6 years ago

Three design dilemmas remain after a total remodel of our 1970, 1700 sq ft home in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico on the Sea of Cortez. The long rectangular living room is dark, has too many focal points and feels busy. Despite two large arched west facing windows and one shuttered south facing window (hide neighbor's home), the patio overhang, brick boveda ceiling and dark furnishings make the room dark. We painted the walls cream and softened the dark concrete beams to warm brown. The original floor is large stone slab terrazzo tiles, so is another busy design element. The house came furnished and I've cleared 1/3 and added comfortable gray lounge chairs, loveseat, to an existing game table/chairs to create two seating areas. One for conversation/TV the other for fireplace/reading/large gatherings. My main focal point preference would be the ocean/Tetakawi Mt view from the entry hall. The low profile dark bamboo game table sits in front of this view. I'm considering cream chalk paint finishing with brown wax. Too much contrast with dark furnishings? Upholstery fabric? Pull in gold, gray, beige? Weave versus pattern?? The painting over the fireplace inspired my color scheme. Orange and blue other accent colors. The adjoining L to the rectangular living room has the dining room and small viewing area and kitchen.

Comment (1)