SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Some MORE Pictures - Humor Me, Please :)

MissSherry
6 years ago

Tom mentioned his many tiger swallowtails in another thread, and I've seen at least three today. There was a female black form tiger on the Mexican sunflowers this morning, and this afternoon two male tiger swallowtails nectared on my new buddleia. Here's one -

One of the male tigers nectared on our native mountain mint, which I was glad to see, since it hasn't gotten too much attention from butterflies, just other insects. However, it immediately took off when this striking scarlet bodied wasp moth came back to the mountain mint -

The SBWM has been on this plant for hours! Maybe the tiger swallowtail thought it was a dangerous wasp? Maybe that's the whole point in a moth looking like a wasp? This is early in the season for me to be seeing a SBWM, they're usually fall visitors. I've let all the climbing hempweed that comes up climb wherever it wants to go in hopes of getting caterpillars, but never seen any. Since this one has shown up early, maybe this will be my big year!

This cloudless sulphur enjoyed the ironweed -

I've never noticed the unique form of ironweed flowers until I looked at this picture.

I love the way gulf frits nectar on turk's cap, from the BOTTOM of the flower -

Sherry

Comments (11)

Sponsored