SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megan_mitchell21

What is a good 15' Ice maker. brand...help

Megan Mitchell
6 years ago

Does anyone have some helpful advice in picking an ice maker? All the posts I find on them here are pretty old... hoping the reliability of them has improved some over the years. I KNOW they are not a smart investment, but I really want one in our remodel, we use a lot of ice, and have the space planned out for one..

I have been looking at the scotsman CU50PA, manitowoc sm-50A, and Hoshizaki 50BME models... the last two i don't think have drain pumps

I need a drain pump and am really wanting the top hat style of ice, also would like an interior light. The filtration thing has me a little confused... can you just hook up a filter that you buy at a Lowes type place to the water line? I had found one model with the filtration built in but you had to order their replacement filters and they only came in packs of 12 for $500+ yikes! I would much rather have something I can just run to the store and get every few months.

To be clear, I am asking if you have had one of these what I should look for and how has maintaining them been? I live in an area where there probably aren't many of these and servicing them will probably not be the easiest to find. None of our local stores even carry any models of any brand so I can look at them. Should I give up on my fancy ice and just get a cheaper model if they don't last long? I would be happy with 10 years of (mostly) carefree use with proper upkeep of it... I have read so many horror stories of them not working after only a couple years.. that would really annoy me if I am spending $$$, but again these are all posts from like 2009 and I know people are way more likely to post if they have a problem than if they don't.. so taking it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (31)