SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

Day 14, My House in August: Metallic

arcy_gw
6 years ago

DH and I made orbs from old wagon wheel parts. After years of being featured in my garden beds they fell apart, so we reinvented them.

Comments (30)

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Very cool orbs!

My metallic items are these vintage salt and pepper shakers that I found on etsy.

• Related Discussions

Day 16 My House in August "Bedroom"

Q

Comments (26)
    Bumbebeez, I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. I really don't have good photos of our BR. These are after repainting last summer. I had planned on BM Stonington Gray but I gave the painters the wrong gallon, so we have BM Nantucket Fog! Oh well, I think the Nantucket Fog is probably a nicer color anyways, and I sold the unopened gray paint on Nextdoor. I bought the Lexington white BR furniture when I was single, and I paid good money for it. So, yeah, I'm sure not DH's first choice. So, I have the paisley bedding that is a little less feminine. The iron headboard we got after we got a new mattress. I never ordered the Seaside headboard because it was really big. Needed to include kitty pics, too! Here is the guest room that I also posted on the "green" thread. It is also a cat room. I do not use the Marimekko bedding for every day. I have another coverlet. I posted yesterday we are thinking about giving up the guest room to make it more of a music room or else a workout room. Walls are SW Celery.
    ...See More

Day 20 - My House in August: Relax

Q

Comments (20)
    How about a homemade Blueberry pie: Yesterday at the beach, Cape Cod bay: Had friends here Sat and Sunday nights. Dinner last night. Grilled swordfish with peach salsa.Billie slept Took this from home! Animal pics are my favorite!
    ...See More

Day 23 - My House in August: Stripes

Q

Comments (31)
    Last summer I posted to ask about some chairs for this dining room. They were a total loss, not usable for my family. They are still hanging around and I hope to dispose of them, so far, no one has grabbed them up. Later in the summer, I ran into these, at a store that I normally would not visit and felt these would be the correct choice for us. They are a more heathered look in person. They are big and sturdy, easy to care for.
    ...See More

Day 28 - My House in August: New

Q

Comments (21)
    I spent this morning repainting some of the wrought iron furniture out on our bedroom portal. Please overlook the partially missing brick flooring, as we're getting ready to do some renovating there. Anyhoo, this furniture was white, while the wrought iron furniture on our back portal off the family room is green. Back portal furniture (off the family room): As you can see one portal from the other, I wanted them to match. Now all the furniture is green, and all the seat cushions and throw pillows coordinate. So, newly painted furniture, new throw pillows for the bench, and a new pot of succulents for the table. Much more still to do, but that's my "New" for today.
    ...See More
  • My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

One of my favorite make-overs - this dog lamp I bought from eBay like this -

Bought a piece of oak, routed the edge, stained and re-wired and here it is now,with one of my many vintage tole trays to the left.

• User
    6 years ago

My Gorham Plymouth Silver Tea Service

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Evesham by Royal Worcester, which belonged to my late mother and now graces every holiday table here:

Bouillotte lamp with gold shade lining:

Frame:

• elohbee
    6 years ago

A vintage metal Bel Geddes dresser that DH and I stripped and added leather pulls to and a lamp DH made out of a cam shaft.

• raphaellathespanishwaterdog
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Gosh, we have loads of metal ware so I don't really know where to start......or stop!

This is part of a grouping on the table in our snug - Art Nouveau bronze lamp with shell shade and a couple of pewter Art Nouveau/Arts and Crafts boxes.....

Another favourite mirror in copper with applied 'ruskin' cabochons......

Detail on an Art Nouveau plant stand we bought from the same lady selling the mirror above. Each of the four sides has a brass plaque with different Mucha style maiden.......

I love this tazza. It's a bit wonky, but that adds to its charm. The amethyst colour is my birthstone.......

Snug fireplace with Art Nouveau brass fire guard and fire dogs. All ebay purchases over the years......

An original spelter Art Nouveau maiden plaque I found at an auction house. I don't think the paint is original but I like it, lol!

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Our foyer mirror (the lamp looks metallic but isn't) and the punched tin in an old pie safe that belonged to DH's parents.

Jak4, I love your repurposed fence in your garden. I have a small wrought iron section in mine, but it's raining out and I missed my opportunity to take a pic. Plus there are vines and flowers pretty much covering it at the moment.

I always love seeing the lamps makeovers! Such pretty stuff has been in these threads!

• badgergal
    6 years ago

I have quite a few metallic things in my house. The ones that mean the most to me are the 3 angels pictured below. The first one was given to me when my 27 year old son was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. The other two where given to me as a rememberance when he passed away four months after his diagnosis

I have them hanging in an empty picture frame

One of my other metallic items are the antique tin ceiling tiles that I have hung on the wall in my great room.

The one on the left is made from 2 tiles both from La Grange Georgia. The large square is from 1931 and the small square is from 1916. The top center tile is from a 1912 building in New Platz, NY. The bottom center tile is from Rockport Maine 1911. The large square on the right is from the same building as the first tile but the small square in it is from Dickson, TN 1907. The tiles are in the same condition that they were in when salvaged. I like them much better that way then stripped of their old paint layers.

Here are 2 more wall hangings I acquired over the years.

I guess that's more than enough for my show and tell turn.

I love seeing everybody's things

• LynnNM
    6 years ago

This is a wall between our family room and kitchen. The metal wall "statue/piece" is from an artist here in New Mexico. It is Native American and of one calling to the gods for rain, as seen by the swirling wind shown on his garment, and the rain falling from it. To the left of him is a photo from the acclaimed New Mexico wildlife photographer, Phil Sonier. Phil is a personal friend and we collect his work, which is now all over our home and our clinic (LOL). I especially love this one. To the right is a batik from NM artist Alice Valdez. Above is a hand-carved and painted wood fish that I fell crazy in love with at an art show a few years back. DH bought him for me. BTW, that red thing hanging by the window to the very right is a chile ristra (a string of dried red chiles to use in cooking).

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

so interesting

I guess I'm a fan of metal after all..seeing your things..and remembering ours..

the coffee table( custom made in some shop in Palm Springs; we found it on Craigslist-the owners wanted to change their scene..very kind of them..))

(oh it has this bronze camel lying there..supposed to be hanging..can't find a spot for it, not yet. It's a very funny camel. It is trying to ice skate. Looks like me when I tried to ice skate..))

the little tray thing is actually pretty cool..it's also made by somebody, as a grateful gift, with engraved dedication in Hebrew(found it on Etsy)..you can fold the legs, and use the tray separately..I never do though, I like the legs. They're this cool crocodile shape. I think the craftsman tried to hint on that part where Moses while trying to convince the Pharaoh throws his stick and it turns to be a crocodile. Here's the close up, a listing pic I found:

here's the little bronze sculpture made by an artist from Moscow..also found it on Etsy..that was a gift for DH. They're called "Adam and Eve"(lol!) and kinda look like us after the remodel-disheveled..:)

here's my favorite hand-can you see it at all? on the left..(symbolizing luck throught the Middle East)..this one is brass probably? I have couple others-the ceramic one, and the huge mosaic one that my friend made and generously gave me for the housewarming.

we found it in a small shop in the Old City, Jerusalem. Very fine job. Put it on the hutch temporarily and decided to just leave it there.

I think I won't bore you with lights etc..so many threads, I've probably showed some already

• User
    6 years ago

Kuwaiti chest. Brass on wood.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    6 years ago

Some favorite shiny things:

• joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

These wrought iron pieces were made by my grandfather in the 20's or 30's

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

Wow - those are special pieces. Especially love the candlesticks. I haven't learned how post photos on the GW (yet) but I enjoy seeing all of them.

• Lars
    6 years ago

Those are very nice iron pieces, Joanieponie, and you are lucky to have them.

Here is a brass cat doorstop that my great-grandfather brought with him when he immigrated to Texas from Alsace:

A friend of his in Germany made it for him before he left, and I remember it mostly from being at my grandmother's house. It's from the 1890s, I think.

Here is a brass sabertooth cat skull that my brother bought on the Venice boardwalk:

The person who sold it to him (I was with him) said that it is an exact replica of a skull from the La Brea Tarpits. It is fairly large and very heavy, which made it expensive, if only for the cost of the brass.

Here are some more metallic objects in our house:

On the left is a prototype vase with gold flecks that I had made in Murano Italy, for work. It was not approved because the size was wrong, and so I got to keep it. Next is a cast bowl made in Mexico that I bought at the Abbot Kinney Street Fair, back when I lived on Abbot Kinney. The seller said it is a special alloy that looks like silver but never tarnishes. I believe it is mostly nickel with some tin added in. Last is a vase that my grandmother bought for me when she was in Israel. I don't think she knew what it was, as I later found out that it is supposed to go on someone's grave. She also bought colorful knitted yamakas/kippahs (not sure about the correct term) for my brothers and me, which I liked a lot, but since we're not Jewish, I don't think we are supposed to wear them. Unfortunately, I don't have mine any more. I won't even show what she bought for me in Turkey and Moscow.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I purchased my house for its brass door hardware and tin ceiling.

• pamghatten
    6 years ago

I was looking for metallic things in the house and forgot about my old doorstops! Some beautiful things from everyone.

Most of mine are outside, flower garden ornament:

Metal piece on the house - before the Gazebo:

Dragon bell on the Gazebo:

And mirror over fireplace:

• sableincal
    6 years ago

Lars -The little skullcap, the kippah, is for Jewish men to wear when they say a prayer (in other words, when they utter the name of God). Actually, all men are expected to cover their heads at this moment, which is why most Jewish homes and all synagogues have extra kippahs on hand, for both Jews and non-Jews.

That little vase looks as though it's intended for flowers on a grave. It's a collector's item!

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Throughout my first floor, I have matte brass/gold, bronze, and copper finishes. Nothing too shiny.

Here are some brass finishes.

• torreykm
    6 years ago

They're not fancy, but the only two things I asked for when my grandmother passed away. Her cake keeper, which would sometimes have the most delicious black walnut cake inside and the little Revere Ware measuring pot that she used to measure her rice.

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

We were at the antique mall a couple of weeks ago, and I found this vintage copper kitty mold. Since little girl kitty often sits in the "loaf" position, it was a perfect find. Yes, I realize this isn't an actual loaf position but she looks like the mold here.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Two little birds I found in a gift shop

• mojomom
    6 years ago

I have enjoyed these threads, but haven't been in a position to participate because we are in the middle of building and are currently camping out in a temporary rental -- decor etc. is staying packed. But I love the repurposed old metal base we picked for a custom dining table for the new house:

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

oh my, so many fascinating things!

• jakabedy
    6 years ago

The Bel Geddes chest and the sweet cake keeper -- my favorites among all the wonderful things posted! My metallic item today is our new range, still wrapped in blue plastic, as it sits in the middle of the living room covered with moving boxes. I've grown accustomed to it being there in the two-ish weeks since we've moved in. I might really miss the ambience when it is finally installed in the kitchen tomorrow.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

(as for the kippas..actually one's supposed to wear them all the time

what's different though is the level of observance.Some do wear it only when praying, celebrating a holiday, etc.

Some will wear them all the time..but if a kippah is knitted that's a sign that they are very traditional, yet not truly orthodox. Orthodox would wear black kippahs only..or, in some communities, hats.

Obviously here everything's a bit different than in Israel. Including big thing they make out of Chanukkah..:) which is a wonderful holiday that we always try to celebrate, but no, it's not like Christmas, it's not a religious holiday even though it's about faith too, and involves a miracle..and the presents aren't such a huge part of it ..kids customarily do get something. And traditionally it was some money. I guess in order to play with dreidels..:) One has to have something to win and to loose, after all, lol

OK where was I? so about knitted kippahs..in Israel people that observe everything yet are not orthodox still, are called either "traditional" or simply "knitted kippahs"..:)

They'll always have extra supply in synagogue, very much so, because you're supposed to cover your head there. If you're a woman you should cover your hair too, Some light scarf will do. They usually keep some supply of scarves there as well.

Unless you're a girl/woman who's unmarried yet.

but little boys are supposed to wear kippahs.

I like Bucharian kippahs the best-they're bigger, can look very smart, and usually are covered with some wonderful bright embroidery. Flowers and such.

I'd love to see the thing from Turkey, and especially from Moscow..I think I know what it might look like:)

Sorry for the big off-topic! I obviously miss home too much..

I love so many things here..the cat mold, the cake keeper, all the lamps, the candlesticks, the dragon, the tin ceiling, the cat door stop, the tea service, the chest..could go on and on..that's one dangerous thread. Sends one hunting..

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

I am in the middle of a very convoluted move myself, so I can't play either. I LOVE these threads. Everything is beautiful, but of course it's really all about the stories. This is an awesome monthlong treat! Thank you all for sharing your houses and treasures so generously.

• dedtired
    6 years ago

I am playing catch up on these threads. Here are some metal items in my house that I like. Here is a quintet of lovely ladies sitting in my kitchen.

This is is a metal bat that hangs from the ceiling of my porch.

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

Love the ladies dedtired! I fear that is what I am starting to look like <sigh>. As long as that's a metal bat, it can stay!