SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Purple Martin season all but over.

caroline94535
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The latest "my" martins have been here was Aug. 10. Today is the 12th, and as I was lowering the rack to start the clean up, about 12 martins came zooming in from nowhere, chattering and flying around the air space above me. I guess it's not over till the fat martins sing!

They are finished with nesting and fledging and are no longer coming in the gourds at night.

My final stats aren't as good as normal this year. A hawk killed one of the females a couple days before her five eggs should have hatched. While the male bird will feed and fledge chicks on his own, he cannot incubate them so all five eggs died.

This year I hung 14 gourds on the 16-arm rack. One gourd was, and still is, waiting for the new tunnel to be caulked in. (Hiding my face in shame!)

I had 12 active pair of Purple Martins. They laid 65 eggs in 12 gourds.

9 of the 65 eggs did not hatch. Four of these were from four different nests and contained partially developed embryos. The other five are the ones that lost the female martin.

65 eggs laid.

56 chicks hatched.

54 chicks fledged.

One dead chick was injured severely and pulled out of the nest. This was the hawk again.

I just checked all the empty nests. Gourd 9 had the sad, dried remains of a chick about the same age (15 days old) as the one that was pulled out and tossed on the ground. Hawk.

Fat and happy and about 9 days old.

Even fatter, and happier than they appear! (A photo from a past year; I didn't get too many taken this summer.) This was one of my first nests with 7 chicks!

This is why I do it. A few new babies read to take on the world.

Growth Chart of Purple Martins

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz