White Men & Torches

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Charlottesville VA tonight:
Thousands of people — many from out of town — are expected to descend on
the city to either protest or participate in a “Unite the Right” rally
on Saturday convened by white nationalists who oppose a plan to remove a
statue of Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general, from a city park.

No similarity:

SaveComment719Like
Comments (719)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leona_2008

Why does david duke feel the need to remind trump who put him in office?

ETA: I see this was pointed out above.

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

David Duke is the one that said Trump needed to check himself because he owed his election to those people.

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Oh please, Mitch Landrieu is hoping for a job with the Rainbow Coalition when he leaves office. He spent 1.2 million dollars to remove those statues which even black citizens protested, while pumps needed to be repaired and the entire CBD including the French Quarter flooded from rainwater.

1 Like Save    
Margo

Lena M

Note the difference Margo:

Where have I advocated hatred, violence, and white supremacy?

It is the left on here that have spewed the hatred and labeled with White Supremacy and Bigot, etc.

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Then say you are against what they said! Mrskjun and Margo. You are saying they should be condemned without you doing that yourself.

Lots of folks are calling the main group at the protest White Supremacists, not just the so-called 'libs' here on HT. You claim you don't spew hatred -yet you so far refuse to condemn it.

6 Likes Save    
blfenton

@Chase - trump should and does have to understand. Perhaps if he did understand and spoke to it that would undermine David Dukes message.

ETA

@leona - he's reminding trump that he can take his support away. He delivered them and can take them away. It's a threat.

3 Likes Save    
ann_t

"You know, I burned my fingers on my crock pot yesterday. Give me a scenario where I can blame Trump."

You think making light of this, that it is funny?

8 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Are Trump white nationalists on HT also Holocaust deniers?
Racism is wrong. It should never , ever be tolerated.
Trump is appeasing his base, by not denouncing white nationalism.
6 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Wonder what would have happened if Antifa hadn't shown up? Probably nothing.

Antifa

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Since when did chicken and waffles become racist?

'Birth of a Nation' (1915).

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

The difference, Margo, is that the president does not mention

WHITE SUPREMACY.

4 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Mrsk, the clergy, BLM and ordinary citizens were there to peacefully protest, white supremacy and neo Nazis. The white supremacists had a militia of security with open carry guns surrounding them last night. Probably the Oath Keepers or one of the other vigilante , racist groups.
Save    
cattyles

I really would like to know what the Conservatives think of David Duke being so emboldened to call out Trump in response to his tweet? Mrs, j4, mimi? Margo won't have a serious response. But I'd be interested in what others say.

3 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

trump didn't condemn white supremacy as a candidate. As president he will stand alone in not condemning them. And the FRWingers here are pre-celebrating trump's election in 2020! Sad to be so out of touch.

2 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

I think the deflection is intentional. How about staying on OT!

4 Likes Save    
maggie2094

4 Likes Save    
SandyC.
The fact is, we have white supremacists in the WH. This is not the same as a faction of antifa who are anti government agitators. White nationalists have been emboldened by Trump and Bannon, Miller, Sesions,Flynn, KellyAnn ....I could go on....
7 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Margo

SandyC.

You know Sandy, you are really hands down the biggest divider of people on HT. It is one thing to say how YOU feel about yourself, but YOU have labeled so many HT right forum members with such downright lies and it is this race baiting that keeps racism alive and well. I think it is intentional and very destructive.

^^^

It is, Margo and we'll never have an adult conversation with some folks.

2 Likes Save    
maggie2094

So fox news right now is taking about healthcare!!!!

so disgusted with the enablers and apologist

4 Likes Save    
cattyles

"You know Sandy, you are really hands down the biggest divider of people on HT. It is one thing to say how YOU feel about yourself, but YOU have labeled so many HT right forum members with such downright lies and it is this race baiting that keeps racism alive and well. I think it is intentional and very destructive."

----------------------

Margo, I think your remarks that you think are cutesy, but are actually racist, are intentional and destructive. You provoke the reactions that you object to.

12 Likes Save    
ann_t

"You know Sandy, you are really hands down the biggest divider of people
on HT. It is one thing to say how YOU feel about yourself, but YOU have
labeled so many HT right forum members with such downright lies and it
is this race baiting that keeps racism alive and well. I think it is
intentional and very destructive.
"

What a crock. Blame yourself, not Sandy.

"I stand behind my Chicken and Waffles chip description for Obama no matter how racist you want to make it."

With this statement you leave little doubt what you are.

11 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

SandyC.

^^^

I suggest that anyone who believes SandyC. is provoking them specifically-and I'm sure I'm one-just ignore her senseless baiting.

This provocative hatred baiting should never be given the light of day, so it dies in the dark, with no one looking and no one caring.

1 Like Save    
Margo

As far as David Duke responding to Trumps tweet. Who knows what his sick mind is thinking. No one should give that man the time of day. He may be surprised the day he meets his maker.

2 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

I feel foolish for even trying here because I think that anyone who fails to understand is doing so willfully. Sigh.

Buying a watermelon is not racist. Using one to stereotype a black man is racist. Eating chicken and waffles is not racist. Using them as a nickname for a black man is racist.

21 Likes Save    
cattyles

Thank you, crl. You are good to try. Again. And maybe it will help since mimi denounced it today, too.

Save    
Margo

crl- I get it, believe me, I GET IT..... have you ever heard the phrase " If you are going to be blamed for something, you might as well do it"?

1 Like Save    
Margo

cattyles- quit trying to try to pit mimi against me. mimi was right. It WAS a racist jab. It WAS intentional. I was tired of being called a racist, so if I am labeled one, I am reacting. So continue to be outraged. It is all you got!

1 Like Save    
maggie2094

This is terrorism. Note the Love sign :(

3 Likes Save    
cattyles

Margo, I'm not trying to pit you and Mimi against each other. I really was hoping it would mean more to you that Mimi denounced those remarks. That's all. Thank you very much for your acknowledgement. It sincerely means a lot to me. Thank you.

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

Margo

cattyles- quit trying to try to pit mimi against me.

^^^^

Agree. I respect Margo and I'm sure sometimes our opinions won't be completely in alignment.

I know what it's like to have something I write pounced upon and drill down on, so why don't you give Margo a little break here and allow the conversation to progress on.

2 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Why don't the Trump supporters condemn white nationalism? It doesn't make you a liberal to denounce racism.
Racism has no place in politics, but Bannon knew it would rally "the forgotten man" with the dog whistles of globalists, bankers, and others.
Could it be because they support Bannon, Miller and the agenda of anti legal immigration , sorting out the riff raff and only letting English speakers apply for green cards, or could it be because they support a stupid wall to keep out rapists or could it be because they believe Muslims should be banned? Not speaking out about white supremacy , or pretending it doesn't exist, or merely acting indifferent is very telling.
Trump is an amoral bigot, who has not denounced white supremacy or called for a crackdown on these terrorists.
5 Likes Save    
Margo

cattyles

Margo, I'm not trying to pit you and Mimi against each other. I really was hoping it would mean more to you that Mimi denounced those remarks. That's all. Thank you very much for your acknowledgement. It sincerely means a lot to me. Thank you.

Believe it or not, I can not tell if you are being sincere or making fun of me. It is to the point on HT that I am on the defense with so much thrown at one time. I would love to be able to just kid around a bit with everybody. I sincerely mean that too.

1 Like Save    
ann_t

"cattyles- quit trying to try to pit mimi against me. mimi was right. It
WAS a racist jab. It WAS intentional. I was tired of being called a
racist, so if I am labeled one, I am reacting. So continue to be
outraged. It is all you got!"

You used that term. You get called on it and then you use it again. And then try to play, I'm not a racist they made me do it. Doesn't work.

4 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

It is good that trump has addressed this but taking some responsibility would be more honest

Save    
Margo

Thank you mimi ;)

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

** If you are going to be blamed for something, you might as well do it"?**

Yes. I was taught to still do not do the bad things. My kids learned that as well as did their partners.

Goes right along with the Jump Off Just Because saying.

2 Likes Save    
Claire

Trump is condoning White Nationslists/Nazis as long as he has Gorka and Bannon as his advisors. The moderate Rep party will soon denounce him. He has not denounced White Supremists and they have infiltrated the Rep party. They are stronger now than in decades because of Trump.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I think Senator Rubio is telling Trump he needs to say the words.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

I'm absolutely being sincere, Margo.

mimi, I'm sure I did not impede the progress of the conversation. Carry on with your big words.

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

blfenton, yes, it was definitely a threat. I also wouldn't be surprised if duke doesn't have some dirt on trump. Lord knows there's plenty out there. Poor trump. How hard it must be to not be able to denounce putin and white supremacists when his back is to the wall. In case it isn't obvious, that was sarcasm. trump is beneath contempt. And whoever above said there is racism on HT, absolutely! I've known it for a long time. How can you not be a racist and yet not condemn trump for having bannon in the WH and accepting his avoidance of condemning white supremacists today?

5 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

To read the same words here as Duke says .... is sad, sobering.

2 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

1 Like Save    
Pidge

Three people died today because a Nazi group rallied in Charlottesville today, and way too many people are on this thread whining about who does or does not like them personally or criticizes them personally or does/does not like Trump or any other petty comment. Narcissism is not limited to Donald Trump.

Can we look at the big picture of how racism works to destroy the democracy we all profess to love and honor? The event today was organized by an ugly group of white supremacists and everything after that is simply in their laps. This country was founded on principles that have been amended over time to include all of us. The Nazis can't abide that.

I can't believe the number of people here who refuse to condemn Naziism.

Sickening

Save    
finn flanman

Matt McDermott Retweeted

Will Jordan‏Verified account @williamjordann 37m37 minutes ago

More

One weird effect of Trump being so horrifying on this stuff is all the people that get credit for doing the only acceptable thing

Jake Tapper Retweeted

Marco Rubio‏Verified account @marcorubio 1h1 hour ago

More

Very important for the nation to hear @potus describe events in #Charlottesville for what they are, a terror attack by #whitesupremacists

Sarah Kendzior‏Verified account @sarahkendzior 40m40 minutes ago

More

Sarah Kendzior Retweeted Marco Rubio

Also important for GOP to acknowledge and condemn white supremacists in admin -- including POTUS -- and stop endorsing and confirming them.

Sarah Kendzior added,

Direct message

2 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Charles P. Pierce‏Verified account @CharlesPPierce 44m44 minutes ago

More

If the Very Troubled Republicans need something to do, they could defund Kobach's voter suppression commission. That'd be a start

Charles P. Pierce‏Verified account @CharlesPPierce 55m55 minutes ago

More

Charles P. Pierce Retweeted Ali H. Soufan

This is true.

Charles P. Pierce added,

Ali H. SoufanVerified account @Ali_H_Soufan

The President was harsher in denouncing a "massacre" in Sweden that didn't happen, than in condemning Nazis violence in #Charlotesville.

4 replies63 retweets151 likes

Reply 4

Retweet 63

Like 151

Direct message

Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Video: https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/896498738600050695

Virginia Gov. McAuliffe: "I have a message to all the white supremacists and the Nazis ... go home ... Shame on you"

Save    
Margo

meanom- if you are going to lecture on behavior, might you also address your side on their ill manners.

1 Like Save    
finn flanman

Preet Bharara‏Verified account @PreetBharara 1h1 hour ago

More

Preet Bharara Retweeted Marco Rubio

Get used to disappointment.

Preet Bharara added,

Marco RubioVerified account @marcorubio

Very important for the nation to hear @potus describe events in #Charlottesville for what they are, a terror attack by #whitesupremacists

47 replies335 retweets1,200 likes

Reply 47

Retweet 335

Like 1.2K

Direct message

1 Like Save    
leona_2008

NBC just reported that although trump had planned to take questions, once the term "white nationalists" was brought up, he abruptly left the room. he got your message loud and clear, david duke!

6 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Matt McDermott‏Verified account @mattmfm 1h1 hour ago

More

Matt McDermott Retweeted John Weaver

Because a Republican is President and they're the base of the modern Republican Party.

Matt McDermott added,

John Weaver @JWGOP

Why are there white nationalists -- or their apologists -- holding positions in the White House?

1 reply24 retweets59 likes

Direct message

3 Likes Save    
lily316

Dump will never call out the white supremacists, never. He encompasses every group there today but will not single out the group that sponsored this demonstration. Duke has his number(oh, I forgot Dump doesn't know who Duke is). This will embolden the alt right crowd and this is just the beginning. Blame it on Obama, why don't you? This bunch of altright losers was at Gettysburg recently armed to the hilt because they thought confederate graves were going to be vandalized. Nothing happened but a scare to the innocent tourists there and one idiot Confederate guy shot himself in the leg.

2 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Charles P. Pierce‏Verified account @CharlesPPierce 1h1 hour ago

More

Charles P. Pierce Retweeted Jeb Bush

JEB!
(Of course, he suppressed minority voters in 2000, too.)

Charles P. Pierce added,

Jeb BushVerified account @JebBush

The white supremacists and their bigotry do not represent our great country. All Americans should condemn this vile hatred. #Charlottesville

Save    
blfenton

Michael Signer, Mayor of Charlottesville, said "Our opponents have become our enemies" - we know who has created this situation.

If the governor of Virginia can call the people who came into his state and Charlottesville to deliberately cause trouble white supremacists, why can't the president. McAuliffe told them to get out of state and to go home.

8 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Everyone take a deep breath and go look in the mirror. Your hair is on fire! Number one....to the person, everyone on this thread has condemned racism. No need to beg them to repeat it post after post. To the person, everyone is sickened by what happened in Charlottesville today, as hopefully we always are when these incidents occur.

KKK had a permit for today. Tell me, what would have been better. Ignore them, everyone go about their business and give them no air? Or was it better for Antifa to show up and confront them, and we end up with three people dead, many injured, and absolutely nothing was remedied.

4 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

KKK had a permit for today. Tell me, what would have been better. Ignore them, everyone go about their business and give them no air? Or was it better for Antifa to show up and confront them, and we end up with three people dead, many injured, and absolutely nothing was remedied.

^^^

It's like being out after midnight. Nothing good happens ;-/

Save    
chase_gw

"To the person, everyone is sickened by what happened in Charlottesville today " Apparently not the president...

"Or was it better for Antifa to show up and confront them"

Why is that comment necessary? Is that what happened? NO !!!

Three people are dead many injured and your guy hasn't the courage to call out the white supremacists for what they are.....you own him...,,,walk proudly Mrs ..... walk proudly..you own him and all he stands for

6 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

10 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

Trump supporters showed up to protest and people should have just ignored them. Gotcha.

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke appeared at the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Va. prior to Saturday's violent clashes, saying that the event represented fulfilling the promises of President Trump.

"This represents a turning point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our country back, we're going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump, and that's what we believed in, that's why we voted for Donald Trump, because he said he's going to take our country back and that's what we gotta do," Duke said.

Save    
chase_gw

..and Trump's response was.......look how the stock market is doing, unemployment at an all time low..... really ? I thought I could never think less of him than I did...I was so wrong.

5 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

sunflower_petal

Trump supporters showed up to protest and people should have just ignored them. Gotcha.

^^^

This is the brazen lie that the FLW wants everyone to believe; that KKK and white supremacist = Trump supporter.

It's a LIE. No one with a modicum of critical thinking skills believes your divisive rhetoric, especially on a very sad day that saw people die as a result of protesters clashing.

2 Likes Save    
Claire

5 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Mrskjun, you've just blamed the victims for what happened today. You think the murderer drove his car into the crowd because he knew they were antifa? There are photos of the car hitting the people. I see no black-masked young men in the crowd, just ordinary people who hate racism.

7 Likes Save    
maggie2094

8 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"This is the brazen lie that the FLW wants everyone to believe; that KKK and white supremacist = Trump supporter."

David Duke says they are Trump supporters. If he says he is a Trump supporter then I don't see how you can say he's not.

5 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Stop repeating the fox news bs.

The people with the clubs and shields were the Nazis.... the bad guys who held this hate fest

Even though the ACLU defended their right to speak, they were very aware of the dangers.

They had ACLU observers on site, all over the place.

The people with the clubs and shields attacked the anti nazi counter protesters.

Which, if you had paid any attention, at all, you would have seen these were Charlottesville residents, good concerned citizens of Virginia, clergy, local politicians.

I saw no mention of anti-fa until the RW fringe like you brought them into it.

I have been watching this unfold since last night, following it on many different sites, news sites, twitter....including the local Charlottesville newspaper.

The people in the cars attacked the counter protesters, all ages, all groups, united in their desire to rid the city of these scumbags... letting them know, they are not welcome.

Not one reputable source reported ANTI-FA.

Just you and your ilk.

Why is that??

Don't bother.

I already know the answer

Save    
lilacinjust

David Duke says

^^

Let me stop you right there and say, who the f*ck cares what that KKK demon has to say? Trump denounced him a long time ago and you giving him any relevance is disgusting.

Trump can't choose who supports him.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

There you go again chase.

"Despite urging from the city's mayor to ignore the racist group, about 1,000 people showed up to protest a few dozen members of the Ku Klux Klan who gathered in Charlottesville, Va. Saturday. "

Link

3 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"Trump can't choose who supports him."

True. But they support him and that is not a lie.

1 Like Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

"Trump denounced him a long time ago and you giving him any relevance is disgusting."

Kind of like when you throw antifa in liberals' faces?

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

mayflowers(8)

Mrskjun, you've just blamed the victims for what happened today. You think the murderer drove his car into the crowd because he knew they were antifa? There are photos of the car hitting the people. I see no black-masked young men in the crowd, just ordinary people who hate racism.

^^^^^

Before we go all full-on Ferguson here, why don't we wait until we have all the facts.

And seriously, how many times does anyone have to witness these protests/anti protests to get the gist of how things shake out EVERY DAMN TIME?

1 Like Save    
mayflowers

Mimi, you've just done the same--blamed the victims. Those people did not die because of the protesters. They died because an angry, hateful racist killed them. You ranted and raved for DAYS when Scalise was shot, blaming all liberals and liberal media. Now a RW extremist is inspired to kill and you and kjun blame the protesters.

8 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Kind of like when you throw antifa in liberals' faces?

^^^^

Not at all. Antifa was such a calming presence today, weren't they?

Save    
lilacinjust

They died because an angry, hateful racist killed them.

^^^

Please cite the facts that back this up.

Save    
purrmichigan(5)

Have to hand it to Duke - he's putting it out there. Let's get some "sunshine" on the FRW's sidling up with Duke et al.

4 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

You ranted and raved for DAYS when Scalise was shot, blaming all liberals and liberal media. Now a RW extremist is inspired to kill and you and kjun blame the protesters.

^^^^^

Scalise's shooter was shown to be a Bernie Bro who drank the MSM KoolAid.

This we know as FACT.

Your next statement is pure conjecture and there you are, spouting it as gospel.

You know nothing yet.

Save    
CindyMac(8b)

10 Likes Save    
Pidge

Hold on, mrsk: are you saying that Antifa was the group that confrnted the Nazi KKK crowd in Charlottesville today? Was Antifa responsible for the death of the woman mowed down by a car or the deaths of two men in the helicopter?

If, as you suggest, we give no air to the KKK, men and women who showed carrying guns and carryig signs bearing hatred and bigotry, are we supposed to give no air to the people who oppose the KKK and the Nazis? Ignore that?

And how do you know that nothing has been remedied? Do you even know what problem was put forth that required a remedy? What remedy would you suggest?

I expect no answers to what are mostly rhetorical questions. I know how you dance off into silence when your (il)logic is called into question.

Save    
lilacinjust

Senator Portman, may I point you to the entirely false narrative from Ferguson?

At this point, this death is as much domestic terrorism and "hands up, don't shoot" reflected what really happened when Mike Brown attacked a police officer.

Save    
mayflowers

Rob Portman and Marco Rubio know what it is--white nationalism and white terrorism.

Hey, maybe it was just a DUI and they'll find the guy at a bar. We should have waited for facts!

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It is more telling what Trump has not said than what he says...

11 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

This feels like a water shed moment ... we can hope something good comes from this tragedy.

6 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

As vgkg pointed out, I also find meaningful that both Mr. & Mrs. Trump's tweets avoid specifics, avoid naming the haters they decry.

& did I miss it, or has somebody already tried to pin the act on a lefty agent provocateur?

4 Likes Save    
mayflowers

No, only the protesters bear the responsibility. According to the Trump supporters here, they should have let the white supremacists have their little rally in peace and nothing would have happened.

3 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Oh wait, there is someone else who bears the responsibility.

Obama.

1 Like Save    
jillinnj

Not every Trump supporter is a white supremacist but you can be damn sure that every white supremacist supports Trump.

And why do you think that is???

Because HE SUPPORTS THEM. HE WILL NOT CONDEMN THEM.

AND NEITHER WILL YOU CONDEMN TRUMP FOR NOT DOING SO.

Yes I'm yelling.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go throw up.

13 Likes Save    
jillinnj

Mimi: "Trump can't choose who supports him."

He can answer the f'ing question when asked if he wants their support.

He can condemn them in no uncertain terms.

But he doesn't. He is scum and yet you support him

10 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Tell me why it's not correct mayflowers. There were a few dozen KKK members with a permit to protest. They mayor specifically asked that they be ignored and left alone. But yet , we know that wasn't going to happen. So yeah, I put much of the responsibility on the Antifa and others that showed up. Without an audience, the Klan members would have crawled back into their little ratholes and no one would have even known they had been there. Why couldn't they have done what the mayor asked, or do you think the mayor is a white supremacist too.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Heck jill, I'd support anyone you didn't!

1 Like Save    
jillinnj

Nice MrsK. I don't support David Duke. And I would not be the least bit surprised that you'd vote for him. I wouldn't be surprised if you did in the past.

He does seem to value the same things you do.

---

Aw, Mimi you liked MrsK's post. I'll take that to mean you will also support Duke. Such sweet people you are. Your big words don't hide who you really are.

9 Likes Save    
finn flanman

GOP lawmakers are also pushing legislation to decriminalize use of vehicles as weapons of terror against protesters.

18 states. Fresh push since the election

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Mrs, it's actually pretty safe for you to support anyone Jill didn't. Because she would never support a white supremacist or nationalist. She would also support a non-Caucasian if they were the best candidate. So yeah, that's probably a reliable way for you to choose a candidate. Sad.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Cute cattyles. Perhaps if you knew what you were talking about your post would make more sense.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

To remind MsK once again: For both the civil rights bills of 1964 and 1965 more Democrats, in both the Senate and House, voted in favor than Republicans.

There was a contingent of clergy in the counter-demonstration. Also other organizations who were involved. Yet comments are attributing all show of resistance to antifa.

6 Likes Save    
jillinnj

MrsK - cattlyes knows exactly what she's talking about. You blew your cover a long time ago.

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

However, there was no permission or permit for the march with torches on campus and around the Rotunda last night. That raised the temperature so high that little could have been done to keep everything completely peaceful.

one other note in response to Mrsk: " I'm not sure how erasing history, good or bad, is going to change it. Unless you plan to rewrite the history books as well. I take that back, dems have been doing that..." Removing a statue is not erasing history. We will continue to teach the history (did you know that Lt. Colonel Lee was the US officer leading the troops who arrested John Brown and that JEB Stuart was the US officer who signaled the others to storm the arsenal after using a white flag to approach?), but there is no need to honor the traitors with monuments. Also, almost all textbooks come from educational committees in Texas, not exactly a liberal bastion.

Save    
purrmichigan(5)

Please don't portray the white supremacist rally as just a couple of guys who wanted to march a coupla blocks. No biggie. What nonsense and what a lie.

There were a few dozen KKK members with a permit to protest.

There are times in your life where you make a choice if you're on the side of good or evil.

ETA: Mrsk take note:

hundreds of white nationalists, neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klan members — planning to stage what they described as their largest rally in decades to “take America back” — clashed with counterprotesters in the streets and a car plowed into crowds, leaving one person dead and 19 others injured.

Hours later, two state police officers died when their police helicopter crashed at the outskirts of town. State police officials not confirm their identities nor whether the crash was related to Saturday’s protests.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe, who declared a state of emergency in the morning, said at an evening news conference that he had a message for “all the white supremacists and the Nazis who came into Charlottesville today: Go home. You are not wanted in this great commonwealth.”

1 Like Save    
Caree

mimipadv

It's willful ignorance to believe and propagate the notion that Trump is responsible for identity politics, which has progressed to what we're seeing today.

Plenty of blame to go around, folks.

Just fyi, you're hands aren't clean either.

-----------

Glad to see where someone has educated themselves. That's very progressive!

I posted this article some time ago. It bears repeating.

Dr. Lila ‘is Professor of Humanities at Columbia University, an American political scientist, historian of ideas and a journalist.’ Harvard educated.

Open your minds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html

------------

Yes, Claiming ignorance is not an excuse for perpetuating racism and bigotry’.

(quote from this thread).

Save    
labrea_gw

they are lost you cannot reach them year after year on this forum with every opportunity they chose! They have chosen again!

then you got the costumers dressed up in new drag!

11 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

No direct connection to our president, of course.

Oh wait...

Meet Millenial_Matt.

ETA photo from mm's acct, likely photoshopped.

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

There were a few dozen KKK members with a permit to protest.

Where did you get that idea.

Are you an apologist for the KKK and white supremacists?

Chaos and violence turned to tragedy Saturday as hundreds of white nationalists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux Klan members — planning to stage what they described as their largest rally in decades to “take America back” — clashed with counterprotesters in the streets and a car plowed into crowds, leaving one person dead and 19 others injured.

Hours later, two state police officers died when their helicopter crashed at the outskirts of town.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D), who had declared a state of emergency in the morning, said at an evening news conference that he had a message for “all the white supremacists and the Nazis who came into Charlottesville today: Go home. You are not wanted in this great commonwealth.”

Maurice Jones, Charlottesville’s African American city manager, looked stricken as he spoke: “Hate came to our town today in a way that we had feared but we had never really let ourselves imagine would.”

State and local officials refused to take reporters’ questions and abruptly left after making statements.

Video recorded at the scene of the car crash shows a 2010 gray Dodge Challenger accelerating into crowds on a pedestrian mall, sending bodies flying — and then reversing at high speed, hitting yet more people. Witnesses said the street was filled with people opposed to the white nationalists who had come to town bearing Confederate flags and anti-Semitic epithets.

A 32-year-old woman was killed, according to police, who said they were investigating the crash as a criminal homicide. The driver of the Challenger was taken into custody and charges were pending, said Al Thomas, the Charlottesville police chief.

The car is registered to 20-year-old James Alex Fields of Ohio, according to vehicle registration records reviewed by The Washington Post. Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail Superintendent Martin Kumer told The Post that a man with the same name and age was booked Saturday on suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding, failure to stop for an accident involving a death, and hit and run. Kumer said Fields is being held without bail.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

mrskjun: everyone on this thread has condemned racism

Not from what I've read here. There are several that have not condemned racism.

AND Condemning racism is not the same as condemning white supremacism. Close but not the same. That is not what I've read here. there are many that did not directly condemn either. I'll go look for your condemnation now, and will update here.

================

mrskjun - don't see your condemnation of racism. Just checked.

Don't see any condemnation from Margo - though I do appreciate her comment about David Duke - it would seem she is far from a fan.

Who should I check next?

===========================================

Margo: Margo

meanom- if you are going to lecture on behavior, might you also address your side on their ill manners.

Do you recall I came strongly to the defense of Ann a few days ago? She thanked me - and you told her she was wrong to do that. That I didn't deserve it.

2 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

mrsjun: everyone on this thread has condemned racism

Speak for yourself and let others say or not say they condemn racism. I also haven't seen much of it from the FRWingers.

2 Likes Save    
Caree

Margo

‘ it is this race baiting that keeps racism alive and well. I think it is intentional and very destructive.’

-------------

That’s always stuck out since crossing the threshold here. Good grief, whose side are they on.

Some people within minority groups have spoken out about this. They want people to move on and stop keeping it alive and to stop holding people back in victim mode. I’ve provided quite a few links in the past. Some from renowned intellects. All scoffed, I’m sure.

1 Like Save    
Caree

Honestly, it appears some on HT are so intent on inciting racial tensions and social violence - to the point of promoting the idea that whites need to become a ‘minority’ and ‘die off', ‘until it’s all one big muddy mess’ - that they're looking more like white supremacists trying to stoke the fires of rebellion and self-preservation.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

A pastor described hundreds of white supremists marching last night and shouting Blood and Soil....a Nazi slogan.

Save    
finn flanman

Mrs, get a load of this bias from a RW rag.

The Alt-Right’s Chickens Come Home to Roost

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/450433/alt-rights-chickens-come-home-roost

It is not the responsibility of the president of the United States to make specific statements every time a gang of KKK cretins marches up and down a town square. I fear that we’ll never be rid of such people, and in normal times our political leaders are so far removed from hateful movements that no reasonable person could believe they had the slightest sympathy for that kind of vicious bigotry. But today was different, the alt-right movement is different, and this president is different.

Today, a person died. A car rammed into a crowd of left-wing protesters, sending bodies flying across the street. I won’t embed the footage, but it looks horrible, and it’s hard to escape the conclusion that it was intentional. The car rammed the crowd at speed, backed up, and sped away. This horrific incident capped a day of street brawls after hundreds of alt-right activists, neo-Confederates, and outright Nazis marched together to express and defend their “blood and soil” white nationalism. It was a disgusting and reprehensible display.

It would be much easier to write off this small band of racists if they weren’t also part of a larger alt-right movement that was responsible for an unprecedented wave of online threats, intimidation, and harassment throughout the 2016 campaign season. Journalists, writers (including me and my family), and ordinary citizens were targeted with obscene and threatening images, racist messages, “doxing,” and sometimes promises of physical violence — all for the sin of criticizing Trump.

Violence then started to spill into the real world. A man wielding a sword hunted and killed a black man in New York City. A member of an “alt-Reich Nation” Facebook group killed another black man in Maryland. A man opened fire on two immigrants at a bar in Kansas, killing one. A white supremacist in Portland murdered two men on a train who intervened when he harassed a Muslim and her black friend. And that’s not an exclusive list. Meanwhile, the online hate campaigns roll on.

Incredibly, key elements of the Trump coalition, including Trump himself, gave the alt-right aid and comfort. Steve Bannon, the president’s chief strategist, proclaimed that his publication, Breitbart.com, was the “the platform for the alt-right,” Breitbart long protected, promoted, and published Milo Yiannopolous – the alt-right’s foremost “respectable” defender – and Trump himself retweeted alt-right accounts and launched into an explicitly racial attack against an American judge of Mexican descent, an attack that delighted his most racist supporters.

In other words, if there ever was a time in recent American political history for an American president to make a clear, unequivocal statement against the alt-right, it was today. Instead, we got a vague condemnation of “hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides.” This is unacceptable, especially given that Trump can be quite specific when he’s truly angry. Just ask the Khan family, Judge Curiel, James Comey, or any other person he considers a personal enemy. Even worse, members of the alt-right openly celebrated Trump’s statement, taking it as a not-so-veiled decision to stand against media calls to condemn their movement.

America is at a dangerous crossroads. I know full well that I could have supplemented my list of violent white supremacist acts with a list of vicious killings and riots from left-wing extremists – including the recent act of lone-wolf progressive terror directed at GOP members of the House and Senate. There is a bloodlust at the political extremes. Now is the time for moral clarity, specific condemnations of vile American movements – no matter how many MAGA hats its members wear – and for actions that back up those appropriately strong words.

As things stand today, we face a darkening political future, potentially greater loss of life, and a degree of polarization that makes 2016 look like a time of national unity. Presidents aren’t all-powerful, but they can either help or hurt. Today, Trump’s words hurt the nation he leads.

Save    
finn flanman

Being held without bail on murder, other charges in Charlottesville hit-and-run: James Alex Fields, Jr., 20, of Maumee, Ohio.

5 Likes Save    
finn flanman

emptywheel‏ @emptywheel 3h3 hours ago

More

emptywheel Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Trump, demanding the civilized world change its thinking after a terrorist uses a vehicle to kill victims in Berlin.

emptywheel added,

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Today there were terror attacks in Turkey, Switzerland and Germany - and it is only getting worse. The civilized world must change thinking!

Save    
cattyles

"Honestly, it appears some on HT are so intent on inciting racial tensions and social violence - to the point of promoting the idea that whites need to become a ‘minority’ and ‘die off', ‘until it’s all one big muddy mess’ - that they're looking more like white supremacists trying to stoke the fires of rebellion and self-preservation."

========================

This does not even make sense, Caree/Snookums. But there is dog whistle running all through it. It's not even subtle in its attempt to cause racial tension while pretending to denounce it.

9 Likes Save    
heri_cles

Driving a vehicle through a crowd with intent to cause mass casualties?

Why hasn't Trump and his spokesmen called this terrorism?

2 Likes Save    
j4c11

Latest news is that there was no intent. The guy said the protesters swarmed his car, he had already been beaten earlier, he panicked and hit the gas to try and get out. Remains to be seen.

Save    
momj47(7A)

Latest news is that there was no intent.

And you believe it?

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Not exactly the latest.

Save    
chase_gw

OMG......watch the video. If it was a Muslim would you say the same thing?

How does anyone who is not a rascist even try to defend his horrific act?

2 Likes Save    
don_socal

After the deadly clash between
hundreds of white supremacists and counter-protesters today in
Charlottesville, Virginia, President Trump called for Americans to “come
together.”

He used similar words in his victory speech in the wee hours of Nov. 9, even as white supremacists began to celebrate.

The problem is that Trump’s words are hollow.

His calls for the country to unite
will continue to be meaningless as long he fails to take responsibility
for his role in dividing it – something he conspicuously avoided again
during his press conference today.

“It’s been going on for a long time,” Trump said. “Not Donald Trump. Not Barack Obama.”

It’s true. America has had racial strife since its founding.

But from the day he came down the
escalator in the tower that bears his name, Trump consciously poured
fuel on the fire. He ran a racist, xenophobic campaign that energized
the radical right – that “unearthed some demons,” as U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford put it.

The day after Trump was elected, hate incidents soared. Many of them were carried out in his name.

Neo-Nazi David Duke, the former
Klan leader who endorsed Trump during his campaign, had this to say
about the deadly violence in Charlottesville:

“This represents a turning
point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our
country back. We are going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump.
That’s what we believed in. That’s why we voted for Donald Trump,
because he said he’s going to take our country back.”

Duke’s words reflect the views of a white nationalist movement that sees Trump as its champion.

Let there be no mistake: This is a fascist movement that threatens not only extremist violence but our democracy as well.

All the while, Trump continues to
employ as his chief strategist the former head of Breitbart News,
Stephen Bannon, who has proudly boasted that he provided “the platform
for the alt-right” – a fancy term for white supremacy in the digital
age.

All the while, the Trump administration continues to play down the threat of white supremacist violence.

Trump calls for the country to unite. But he is still ducking responsibility for his role in dividing it.

Until he apologizes and takes
responsibility for the damage he has caused and enacts policies to mend
the wounds in our country, his words will continue to ring hollow.

Sincerely,

Richard Cohen
President, Southern Poverty Law Center

Save    
finn flanman

Why not?

Several policemen took his word for it.

Course, these more than several cops were nowhere to be found during this deliberate mayhem.

Just like they stood and watched "skirmishes" with armed militia freaks that always seem to show up for these things.

These things=trouble

These are only called skirmishes when white people, mostly racist white people, or armed and locked and loaded militia idiots are involved.

Now, teddy bear memorials, and chalk line memorials and "grave site" street site, candlelight vigils are met with armored tanks, row after row of dying to bust heads, fully riot geared cops.

Save    
j4c11

So what's the latest then, was it intentional or not?

Save    
purrmichigan(5)

What a good point. Every FRWinger would be gloating had this perp been an "other" such as a Muslim. It would fall in line with their firmest beliefs - we need a wall, kick out the immigrants, take back the country for it's native aka white citizens. "whites need to align with whites" that carp.

The silence is quite loud when a white supremacist is a terrorist. Memorable. Taking note.

4 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

j4 You're confused. HT is not the place you come to demand the "latest". Get your own information, form your own opinion. Oh, wait ...... repeat with fauxfox tells you.

2 Likes Save    
j4c11

Save    
chase_gw

I can't wait for the next thread on how radical and lawless liberal demonstrators are ..........

4 Likes Save    
finn flanman

They are already trying to set the narrative.

Even though, all of this, from last night up until today and right now, is online for all to see.

Mrs was the first to claim that antifa was to blame.

Not one single source ever mentions antifa or shows them.

When that didn't seem to be working she blamed the victims,

As in, if they had only ignored these rally goers, why.. nobody would have gotten hurt.

Problem for you and your apologists, just about everyone, everyone, has not only condemned this and put the blame where it squarely belongs, not many many sides, but one fkg side.

They have also condemned trump.

See, mrs, even the rw racists of the GOP will draw the line at riots in the streets caused by nazis.

They are just all so alarmed, concerned and disturbed.

I mean, where, oh where, did this come from?

Lordy!

Save    
cait1

Buying a watermelon is not racist. Using one to stereotype a black man
is racist. Eating chicken and waffles is not racist. Using them as a
nickname for a black man is racist

Apparently, using any nickname for a black person is racist. That is beyond absurd. 'Cheetos' is then a racial slur, too. You can't have it one way.

And I don't think Margo is racist at all. She clearly stated that if you are going to call Trump 'cheetos', she's going to call BO 'chicken and waffles'. That really is tit for tat, not racism. Those who call Trump 'cheetos' do it out of hatred for Trump. I, at least, admit that I despise BO, though I often refrained from calling him names while he was prez. Now that he's not, I have no qualms about calling him what he is, a POG ('Piece of Garbage' for those who may wonder).

He [Trump] is scum and yet you support him

BO was a heck of a lot more scum yet you supported him. Or does 'scum' suddenly turn into a racist slur when used to describe BO? Well I aint buying the carp you're selling.

At least we know Trump loves America and doesn't want to 'fundamentally' transform the country - that's what the scum BO promised to do and he did - race relations are at their worst in decades and the SJW antifa rose because BO and democratic politicians never condemned them. And they couldn't, because antifa is funded by Soros and Soros funds the dems.

What happened in Charlottesville wouldn't have happened if they had just left the statue alone.

SJWs and progressives are out to destroy our Republic.

2 Likes Save    
chase_gw

"What happened in Charlottesville wouldn't have happened if they had just left the statue alone."

Did she really say that !

8 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

BO was a heck of a lot more scum

At least we know Trump loves America and doesn't want to 'fundamentally' transform the country - that's what the scum BO promised to do

What happened in Charlottesville wouldn't have happened if they had just left the statue alone.

What an ugly, racist comment.

6 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Ask one of your Black friends to explain it to you cait1.

4 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

That's quite an accusation, cait. Feeling extra bold?

You don't live here. It's not your country.

ETA: We in the U.S. have enough problems of our own, thanks anyway.

1 Like Save    
cait1

Don't like the truth? Tough.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

At least we know Trump loves America and doesn't want to 'fundamentally' transform the country

It's Trump's White House that has vowed to deconstruct America. that sure would be a fundamental transformation.

And another one who has no issue with White Supremacists.

5 Likes Save    
Ann

I completely agree about Margo not being racist. She reached a high level of frustration about all the name calling, crude, and disgusting things said about President Trump in many comments each and every day. So, Margo and now cait are demonstrating how that looks and feels when the same tactic is used about Obama.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

At least we know Trump loves America

Yep he does, it's 3rd, right behind money first, then russia. The money is easy to understand, still wondering about russia.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Good news is...it's all out there. ...

Save    
Lily316

Hey Cait I'll do you one better. tRump is a POS!!!

3 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Margo has shown her true colors and more of you are doing the same coming to her defense.

Save    
subtropix

"Hey Cait I'll do you one better. tRump is a POS!!!"

Yeah, but even worse is the POS's fanatical followers (freakin' fascist, racist, ignorant losers eager to blame someone for their miserable lives).

"Crude and disgusting", blame the POS we have in that dump of a White House (not a dump before the POS moved in).

Save    
Caree

SandyC.

We hear Duke's language from many of our alt right, Trump supporters " Take our country back" Take our country back from who, pray tell?

----------

Duke’s language. So in your mind he speaks for Trump’s supporters. We get it.

I haven’t heard that particular phrase but all should be aware by now that many Americans who voted for Trump are struggling due to job loss to cheap slave labor. With inexpensive overseas workers, industries and towns have died. Those here illegally willing to work for dirt have squeezed Americans out of their jobs in construction, hospitality, landscaping, home services, customer service, agriculture.

Many Americans are struggling or have lost everything. So in that context, if they are using the phrase ‘take our country back’, it makes sense. As does voting for Trump. His focus is on Americans and rebuilding a prosperous America for all of its citizens. It’s called loyalty and patriotism. These are things you cannot seem to relate to.

You’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t care. You’ve got yours. Well, millions of Americans have lost theirs.

Who can blame Americans for wanting to survive. Anyone with some degree of empathy should be able to comprehend that.

That really shouldn’t be conflated with the obsessions with skin color and white supremacy. The motivations are different.

2 Likes Save    
Caree

Take our country back from who, pray tell?

---------

Really strange question coming from you SandyC

In such a short time here, you’ve made countless outrageous, violent outbursts against whites, Christians, America, Americans, Republicans, Southerners, men, old people, old white men, to the extreme of shivering with joy while screeching ‘whites’ need to ‘die’ off and how great it will be when they’re a ‘minority’ 'until it’s all one big muddy mess’! . All with the support of your LW globalist comrades, some who have explicitly stated those same sentiments.

Just a wild guess!

3 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

She reached a high level of frustration about all the name calling, crude, and disgusting things said about President Trump in many comments each and every day. So, Margo and now cait are demonstrating how that looks and feels when the same tactic is used about Obama.

Oh please, poor RWEx snowflakes, and their fragile egos.

RWEx HT forum members, living inside and outside the US, posted filthy racist, hateful, intolerant attacks here against President Obama. his administration and Americans, for eight years, and no one attacked you like the RWEx are attacking other forum members now.

And these same RWEx forum members posted ugly sexist, hateful attacks against Hillary Clinton during the election, and no one attacked you like the RWEx are attacking now.

I guess you all thought, now that a sickeningly crass, cruel,
boorish, racist, vulgar, lying, subversive, conspiratorial, obsessive,
authoritarian, ignorant, amoral, dishonest, manipulative, misogynistic,
philandering, hyper-litigious, isolationist, insecure, narcissistic
protectionist, blowhard, sweaty arse-crack of a human being as President somehow gave license to practice your racism, your intolerance, your hate

Well, think again. There is no excuse for this behavior, and decent Americans will not tolerate it any more.

Save    
j4c11

DOJ is opening a civil rights investigation into car attack.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I very much agree with cait about race relations being at their worst in decades and I think that deterioration fell right smack in the middle of President Obama's time in office. I think that is the heaviest damage done to our country in those 8 years and I think Obama was instrumental in that decline.

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

I think that is the heaviest damage done to our country in those 8 years and I think Obama was instrumental in that decline.

Of course you do. Just the usual racist RW rhetoric

What were Americans thinking anyway, electing Barack Obama as President of the United States?

Maybe Americans were thinking he was more qualified than John McCain or Mitt Romney.

But .... but ....... Barack Obama is black ..........

9 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Yup, nothing like a classy Black president to bring out the racists.

14 Likes Save    
Margo

Thank you cait- I will 100% say I do NOT support the KKK , or any White Supremacist group or individuals. I think they have the right to their beliefs, but I do NOT believe they can cross the line with any violence. I find these White Supremacists hateful and shallow minded.

4 Likes Save    
finn flanman

The awful, disgusting, blatant and, yes, disgraceful racism fell right smack in the middle of the racists who went out of their gourd when a black man became president.

Yes, he wasn't white enough.

He didn't favor his white "side" no matter the injustice and blatant racism involved.

10 Likes Save    
don_socal

Wild is right, you make no sense.

Edit guess I type tooo slow.

2 Likes Save    
Margo

Since I posted, so many comments. Thank you Ann.

1 Like Save    
Margo

Is anyone willing to stop this ?

1 Like Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Wild is right, you make no sense.

She never does. Best to SOB.

3 Likes Save    
Margo

azmom

"Trump can't choose who supports him."

What a dumb statement! Consider the source, not a surprise!

azmom- please, that is not a dumb statement. Trump has no control over who supports him. He did not control you right?

3 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump has white supremists in the WH...he most certainly can appeal to certain supporters.

2 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Charles P. Pierce‏Verified account @CharlesPPierce 7h7 hours ago

More

The DOJ will get on this as soon as it's done making sure that embattled white college applicants are no longer oppressed. #JeffBo

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

When Trump was asked to condemn White Nationalists he walked out....

5 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Matt McDermott Retweeted

Jesse Ferguson‏Verified account @JesseFFerguson 10h10 hours ago

More

Jesse Ferguson Retweeted Donald J. Trump

When will President Trump issue the words NAZI and WHITE SUPREMACISTS? He can't say it, and unless he will, the problem will not be solved!

Jesse Ferguson added,

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

When will President Obama issue the words RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM? He can't say it, and unless he will, the problem will not be solved!

Save    
purrmichigan(5)

How about speaking out when Duke first aligned himself with trump, during his campaign. trump lied and said he didn't know who duke was.

That'd be one instance where trump was in control over who supports him.

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Seems so ironic that trump, who carped on the campaign trail that BO and HC refused to say "radical Islamic terrorism" that he is now unable to say "white supremacist".

7 Likes Save    
Margo

Yes Annie, I do think Trump should say White Supremacist myself. I think he needs to address this.

3 Likes Save    
Save    
Kathy

James Fields FB picture before the account was erased.

Save    
finn flanman

Charles P. Pierce‏Verified account @CharlesPPierce 10h10 hours ago

More

Charles P. Pierce Retweeted Marco Rubio

"Very few"? How do you think you lost all those primaries?

Charles P. Pierce added,

Marco RubioVerified account @marcorubio

These haters in #Charlotesville are agitators in search of relevance & publicity for a vile cause very few people support 1/2

Save    
Ann

I think we'll hear more from Trump tomorrow. Now that arrests are being made, more info and facts will become available to him. I think I heard the driver and 3 others have been arrested, but I'm not sure about that.

2 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

Day late and a dollar short. Not presidential. Then again, Duke and his kind are still trumpsters.

2 Likes Save    
finn flanman

Facts are made available to him?

WTF, are you kidding me?

He is the president.... he has had this whole story available to him, since last night.

And if he had any decent staff, he would have been apprised of the upcoming situation and probable problems.

Many, many days before it even happened.

As it was, this has been widely reported, all day, and all yesterday, including last nights preview of these nazi white supremacists .

He stayed silent much of the day.

Well after, this became a major news story.

When he finally made a statement?

Predictable.

We couldn't expect him to blame the nazis, right?

That would alienate his base and all of his apologist followers

Save    
Kathy

It was a KKK rally...he couldn't denounce the hate today? He walked out when asked about White Nationalists? He has White Nationalists as advisors? Today WAS the day...he failed to act with leadership and integrity. It was a defining moment and he failed.

9 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Margo, I appreciate your statements (just above) - for yourself, and also about Trump.

I agree that Trump cannot control who supports him. His control is what he says about that support and who he hires, for starters.

2 Likes Save    
Margo

Thanks meanom- I think it is just a simple fact that we just do not understand how we can think so different. I know how frustrated I get, so I imagine you have the same frustration with our thinking.

2 Likes Save    
heri_cles

White supremacists have been emboldened by Trump, a bigoted President.

Not sure what people cannot understand about that.

9 Likes Save    
Vith

Man some of the banter on here is the reason why it got out of hand there. Same stuff.

IMO, they should have been able to protest the removal of the statue. They were not allowed to because a counter protest group (the black lives matter crowd) gathered and formed a blockade. This counter protest group knew they were going to cause trouble in doing this.

The people that had gathered to protest the removal of the statue (and the history that goes with it) were shut down. This has reverse discrimination written all over it and its going to anger a lot of people.

I guess the question is, were they protesting the statue removal or were they using it as an excuse to gather and spread hate? If the protest was in the name of hate and had the potential to turn into hate crime then yes it should have been shut down.

Although the white nationalists wont see it that way.

They should not have had torches, that for sure was a nod to the KKK. And they thought they would be allowed to do that?

If they truly wanted to protest the statue removal they could have done it without hate and without torches.

4 Likes Save    
Margo

heri_cles

Well heri- Radical Islamic Terrorists, ISIS, were emboldened by Obama, an anti- American president.

Understand that.

Save    

What makes Barack Obama "anti-American" -- policies, personality, something else?

Are those who supported him -- he was elected twice -- also anti-American?

6 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Caree/Snookums, and other white supremacists that continue to call President body odor have made it very clear, why they support Trump. Snookums rant about one big muddy whatever is absolute racism.I stopped reading her entire list, won't report it as it needs to be out there. We have a bunch of white "Christians" that are racists. Yes old white men like O'Reilly and Limbaugh are racist... Make no mistake. People that support Trump/Bannon/ Sessions racist rhetoric are racists.
Trump has made it very clear, if this had been a Muslim attack, he would be calling in the national guard and tweeting up a storm.
The rally today, was unlawful, as it is not okay to spew anti Semitic rants and invoke hate.
It was domestic terrorism.
Save    
SandyC.
"KKK had a permit today"
So what, hate speech and inciting violence, spewing anti Semitic chants is unlawful.
1 Like Save    
heri_cles

Well heri- Radical Islamic Terrorists, ISIS, were emboldened by Obama, an anti- American president. Understand that.

I understand what a troll does and you are a prime example.

Your ridiculous comments do not even merit a response.

10 Likes Save    
cait1

Yes Annie, I do think Trump should say White Supremacist myself

No. Never submit to the FLW's demands. NOT EVER. It's a ploy, a ruse, a way to get your face under their jackboots. 'White supremacist' is too vague a description and they know it and want to use it against you. How many 'Sandys' on this forum already do?

We know the names of the groups that had permits - name them.

What I think most disgusting is that the FLW want only one side called out. They don't want their precious BLM or antifa named or implicated when we know they are violent factions. Commies are ALWAYS violent. Antifa is nothing more than a resurrection of Antifaschistische Aktion and if you don't learn your history quick they will continue to terrorize the country - Berkeley, Portland, Arizona.

No wonder dems like McAuliffe won't condemn them. They are hoping antifa fulfills their dream of a communist America. They would be cheering Lenin and his Bolshevik Revolution if they were alive then. Never forget that one of Lenin's tactics was to silence anyone who didn't agree with him and name and shame and be violent against those who opposed him and his cause. Don't be fooled by the FLW.

4 Likes Save    
Margo

They should not have had torches, that for sure was a nod to the KKK. And they thought they would be allowed to do that?

It was the KKK out there. No nod needed. I do not think torches are against the law. We all know what the KKK stands for. That is like saying that white hoods should not be allowed. They can believe what they want, they just need to do it civil.

1 Like Save    
purrmichigan(5)

OMGosh .... you're a cesspool of festering conspiracies. A 'communist America' huh. And you're a Putin lover, so you've got tons of credibility.

Whoosh!!

Save    
Margo

I understand what a troll does and you are a prime example.

Your ridiculous comments do not even merit a response.

heri_cles

OH, you can say what you want and how you want to, but when I do, you call me a troll. Unbelievable!

1 Like Save    
SandyC.
I agree. Time to SOB racist, ignorant comments. Trump supporters loved the bigoted campaign promise of a complete Muslim ban and a Muslim registry.
Anyone that would say President Obama is un American is absolutely disgusting, now we have the worst president of all time, only speaking to his small racist base, not condemning white supremacy. Trump has them writing speeches for him , strategizing anti legal immigrant policies, and in the WH.
11 Likes Save    
cait1

If they truly wanted to protest the statue removal they could have done it without hate and without torches.

But antifa could go around with masked faces and mace?

1 Like Save    
purrmichigan(5)

What a vile, disgusting thing to say - that anyone is happy today with events in VI. Cait you go to the bowels of the internet to find the most gross negativity and then bring it here to get your dose of attention.

Nasty POW.

2 Likes Save    
heri_cles

The First Amendment protects hate speech, but that does not mean it should be condoned, tolerated, encouraged or brushed off with false equivalencies.

White Supremacists cannot be allowed to spread their message of bigotry, racism, and antisemitism without be challenged and if necessary confronted.

4 Likes Save    
Margo

cait1

No. Never submit to the FLW's demands. NOT EVER. It's a ploy, a ruse, a way to get your face under their jackboots. 'White supremacist' is too vague a description and they know it and want to use it against you. How many 'Sandys' on this forum already do?

Cait- when you put it like that .....hmmmm.... but, you know what I mean.

2 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe had a pointed message for the right-wing groups that flocked to Charlottesville on Saturday: "Go home. ... You are not wanted in this great commonwealth. Shame on you."

5 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Blaming president Obama for increased race relations in our country is a racist remark. Let's call it for what it is.
The alt right, are fearful of diversity and our country becoming browner, or as Carree says, muddy.
The republicans, once a party of old white men, was seeing the base decrease. The tea party movement and far right "conservatives" have fallen to the lowest common denominator of fear mongering and bigotry to attract a larger base. This is not the party of Reagan, this is a far right, anti global, nativist party.
Trump knew he had a strong alt right base with the birther movement of our first black president, we have seen the white supremacists, one here on HT, who continues the conspiracy theory. Trump emboldened racists and the alt right, thanks to Breibarts Bannon.
Richard Spencer held a celebration, a block away from the WH a in DC .
The first time I heard nazi, white supremacist, Spencer interviewed, I actually thought he was joking. He thought now that Trump was president, he was going to propose a white caucus. He seriously thought whites needed a caucus like the black caucus and the Asian caucus!
Save    
Margo

White Supremacists cannot be allowed to spread their message of bigotry, racism, and antisemitism without be challenged and if necessary confronted.

They can be challenged and confronted but civil. It goes both ways. Black Lives Matter and Antifa cannot be allowed to create violence either.

Save    

And now with the Soros conspiracy . . . one more dog whistle, in honor of the anti-Semites on parade in Charlottesville.

7 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

By tomorrow trump will be alone in not condemning white supremacists. The GOP leader in Virginia said that white supremacists are not conservatives and are not welcome in the party. He made it super clear.

3 Likes Save    
heri_cles

I thought Trump's false equivalency about bigotry "on many sides" was shameful.

15 Likes Save    
SandyC.

" There were a few KKK with a permit and should have been left alone"
Is this the Fox talking pint? My god they had an entire militia, with open carry surrounding them. Probably one of the racist groups like The Oath Keepers. The " patriotic" vigilantes. They carried torches and chanted anti Semitic rants, blood and soil.

The people standing up to these racists, were young progressives, BLM, the clergy and all those who stand for equal rights.

Please don't pivot to the antifa, as I am sure the alt right on Fox must be doing. White supremacy is not to be tolerated.

6 Likes Save    
purrmichigan(5)

Interesting how a poster here frequently tells others to move to Canada rather than resist. but, when it comes to trump and white supremacists they're just fine and dandy. Got a right to march and carry torches and say their hate speech.

So rich.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
lily316

I guess we're lucky this all didn't happen in Gettysburg a few months ago when these same goons showed up armed to the teeth They had permits and marched around singing the national anthem with their MAGA caps on. No opposition showed up thank heavens or we would have had this blood scene on the sacred battlefield. ALL and I mean ALL of these Nazi goons and Nazi sympathizers voted for tRump. He's their man. He had raucous rallies screaming beat them up...I'll pay your legal bills. His rhetoric was beyond the pale. THESE are his constituents. Do you think for one crazy minute he'll alienate his BASE????For cripes sake, he has white nationalists in his cabinet calling the shots.Try reading that sleaze bag Bannon's words if you want a scare and T loves him. He won't get fired nor will he fire Gorka or Sessions.

Save    
SandyC.

I don't know who JamesWoods is that tweeted George Soros will be happy today, but obviously the person is an anti Semite, white National . Look who posted the tweet.

2 Likes Save    
lily316

I just watched a video taken by a university professor who filmed the car attack. These young people were in a joyous mood shouting 'Our Street' and singing and laughing when this happened. I also read that this was promoted all over the country just like the Gettysburg one was last month. Our TV stations told people to stay away. The funny thing was the 1000's of goons came because they were told the antifa would be there and no one was. So they looked stupid and shouted their Nazi rhetoric, did their Sieg Heils and sang our national anthem. All went well till one idiot shot himself. The MAGA caps were resplendent that day. I hope things calm down before the college kids come back. That's a university town and my grandson goes to college in VA and probably would have been in the support crowd. I'm going to tell him protesting today is too dangerous and he should use his progressive views in another way.

Save    
Maddie AtHome

True colours are showing. Keep them front and center.

7 Likes Save    
sableincal

James Woods is an actor with a long career, and he is most definitely and positively not an anti-semite. He is one of the few Hollywood Republicans who long ago declared himself as such. Because of the many quirky roles he's played he has probably unnerved a few people. Anyone who doesn't know about his politics should sit down with some of the members of the Los Angeles Jewish Republican Coalition. Unlike L.A. Jewish Democrats, who probably have their meetings in the Rose Bowl, SoCal Jewish Pubbies tend to meet in the Reagan Library., and he has spoken to their group. Woods, btw, is not Jewish.

Interesting story about him: A week before 9-11 he took one of the flights that was later to be hijacked from New York to L.A. As the flight developed he noticed a group of 4-5 men who, although seated separately were meeting here and there on the plane to talk to each other, in a foreign language that Woods recognised as non-European. As he later said, "I'm an actor. I notice how people behave." Eventually he became concerned about their behavior and the size of their group and reported them to a flight attendant, who said Thanks, and that seemed to be that.

A day or two after 9-11 Woods was at home in his L.A. apartment, glued to the TV, like everyone else in the world. There was a phone call; he answered, and the person calling identified himself as FBI. They wanted to talk to him. He agreed, "shall I come over there?" "No sir, we'll come to you" "Well, let me give you directions to my home" "Not necessary, sir, we are in a car across the street." He looked out the window and there they were. He has told this story often, but never revealed what was discussed. One can imagine.

Is it now a LW meme that opposing, disliking George Soros is a sign of anti-semitism? That is hogwash and baloney. Soros has been intensely disliked by conservatives, including a lot of Jews, which includes me, for a very long time. He is regarded as a power-hungry globalist with no conscience. He single-handedly nearly wiped out the currency of Malaysia, trying to corner the international market in silver, iirc, and thereby unleashing a hurricane of genuine anti-semitism in certain areas and markets. He is definitely regarded by many of us as Not A Friend.

1 Like Save    
purrmichigan(5)

I doubt it's a LW meme - I believe a FRW reactionary posted that. Hating the guy doesn't have much to do with white supremacy and tragedy in VI. He sounds like a match for the FRW Koch brothers. Probably have something in common.

It seems many people have 9-11 stories. Somehow not impressed by Wood's.

1 Like Save    
Maddie AtHome

Nothing to say on the American Nazis killing people in Charlottesville.

Figures.

Save    
sableincal

Exactly what is it about the Koch brothers that makes them far right wing? Aside from their opposition to certain climate change initiatives, although I am not sure if that makes them far out there.

Wiki reports them as being pro-choice, pro marriage equality, and in league with the Obama administration's approach to criminal justice reform. "While the Koch family has been making substantial donations to criminal justice reform organizations for nearly a decade, most recently the Kochs headed a bipartisan resolution to make more serious leaps to reform. Included in these are aims at eliminating overcriminalization and overincarceration, which generally harms low income and minority communities, as well as reducing recidivism rates, diminishing barriers faced by the rehabilitated seeking employment..." This, for me, is a mark in their favor, as it, inter alia, addresses some of the main concerns of BLM, who were present today supporting the removal of the offensive statue.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone continues to be fascinated or immersed in all the details surrounding 9-11, which has had a great impact on us, causing a ten-year long detour in DH's career, and still interests me. I should have written a warning to maybe Scroll On By James Woods's little story!

Save    
jodik_gw

Trump took what was a very defining moment... and he blew it.

He allowed for hate and racism to win the day because he chose not to address the issue in any meaningful way.

~~~

Of course he can control who his supporters are... through his own choice of words, and actions. His supporters are reflective of who he is.

8 Likes Save    
jlhug

Puremichigan, FYI, VI refers to the Virgin Islands. VA is the two letter abbreviation for Virginia. When I read VI once is figured it was a typo. The second time, I wondered if you were aware that VA was correct and VI was another country.

Save    
ann_t

And I tend to think that it is probably auto correct , not that the poster isn't aware.

1 Like Save    
mrskjun(9)

There were 50 KKK protesters with a permit for a rally. They had done this before with little or no fanfare. Easily ignored by everyone and left to go back under the rocks from where they came. But over 1000 Antifa, and other groups showed up, many with weapons to confront them. But just because the small group with a permit is made up of people we cannot tolerate, we should make what happened in Charlottesville all their fault.

3 Likes Save    
jlhug

Maybe, maybe not. VI is the first two letters of Virginia. Many states abbreviations, but not all states, are the first two letters.

This is off topic. Sorry.

ETA : "VI is" or "VI are"? "VI is" sounds right but feels wrong.

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

Yeah and the guy that mowed down the pedestrians with a car had a permit.....

2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Are you saying that if the 1000 anti protesters hadn't shown up that would have still happened chase? People are dead, people are severely injured. Do you think the hearts and minds of the KKK members were changed?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

mrskjun, the rally with 50 white supremacists was back in july and ended in tear gassing. There were a lot more than 50 at this one.

What is interesting is how many out of state people there were.

I'm always suspicious whenever trump accuses the left of doing something -- it's usually because the right is already doing it. Like accusing the dems of rigging the election when the russians were doing it for trump or how he accused hillary of improper ties with russia when he had them or when he accused her of too close ties to wall st whereas he's filled his cabinet with wall streeters or even obama and golfing. He has been accusing the left of using paid protesters...I'm wondering if any of these folks were paid to show up...

7 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Annie, I was going to bring that to Mrs attention that was back in July. This protest was well advertised and well attended including major leaders of these hate groups.

The protesters mowed down by an alt right Trump supporter were protesting peacefully by all accounts. To suggest that these protesters were in any way accountable for his actions is indefensible.

3 Likes Save    
Margo

puremichigan60(5)

Interesting how a poster here frequently tells others to move to Canada rather than resist. but, when it comes to trump and white supremacists they're just fine and dandy. Got a right to march and carry torches and say their hate speech.

So rich.

Yes, when people keep complaining that other countries do things better, then I say GO. What is it about doing it CIVIL that you do not want to read?

I think many FLW want to keep the anti-Trump, anti American movement in the fore front regardless of the sad outcome.

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Correction: anti-trump PRO-American

3 Likes Save    
ann_t

There are some here that I don't expect better of. But I really did expect better of Mrsk. I didn't expect her to blame the victims and to support the vile protesters. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I won't make that mistake again.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

As disgusting as we may find this group. They had a permit to hold a rally. They had a legal right to gather and spew hate. This is still a free country with a first amendment. I know there are those that believe it is ok to shut down anyone we don't agree with, but that isn't the basis of our constitution. The anti protesters showed up carrying weapons with the aim of shutting down the rally. The outcome is unacceptable. How many here believe there would have been any deaths or injuries if the anti protestors had stayed away and ignored the rally all together. The rally may have been a blip on the evening news, if that.

"Democracy may be noisy and it may be messy, but it remains the best system of government that people have figured out to use to govern themselves,” he said.

The ACLU of Virginia and the Albemarle County-based Rutherford Institute, which backed Kessler's suit, said in a letter to city officials that while the message of the "Unite the Right" rally "may raise strong feelings of opposition among area residents and political leaders, that opposition can be no basis for government action that would suppress the First Amendment rights of demonstrators who have acted according to the law.”

3 Likes Save    
chase_gw

That is not the point. No one refutes their right to spew their hate.......but to suggest that innocent protestors are in any way accountable for what happened is repugnant.

Thankfully Republicans and Democrats alike , Americans of all persuasions for the most part know what this was, where the blame lays and who was responsible for the domestic act of terrorism.

I am heartened to hear so many republican leaders some out and condemn these hate mongers and are calling on Trump to do the same.

5 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

13 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
lilacinjust

mrskjun(9)

There were 50 KKK protesters with a permit for a rally. They had done this before with little or no fanfare. Easily ignored by everyone and left to go back under the rocks from where they came.

^^^^^

Violence and even death is, and has been for a very long time, foreseeable.

I wish people would exercise common sense and realize that they are putting themselves in harm's way when these clashes occur.

How I wish that demonstrations by the likes of losers and miscreants like the KKK would not be a siren call for people itching to escalate and engage.

I wish people would have the sense to ignore these idiots. There are not that many of them! Let them make fools of themselves, by themselves.

No attention.

Complete and total shunning.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg Z-7 Va(Z-7)

Freedom of speech or freedom of hate speech? The Germans in the early 1930's wished that they had nipped this type of behaviour in the bud. The only thing missing from this band on confederate flag waving haters was their white hoods. trump has emboldened them to stop hiding under their white sheets of shame and to start openly wearing brown shirts.

Save    
lilacinjust

How many here believe there would have been any deaths or injuries if the anti protestors had stayed away and ignored the rally all together. The rally may have been a blip on the evening news, if that.

^^^^^

I think the FLW gets the logic in this completely sane strategy, but they'll dig their heels in simply because the perceived opposition said it.

Nose. Cut. Face. Spite.

4 Likes Save    
chase_gw

"How many here believe there would have been any deaths or injuries if
the anti protestors had stayed away and ignored the rally all together."

Unbelievable........

Like I said way upthread

"Does free speech mean one can't use their free speech to condemn another's free speech?"

A comment that drew sarcasm......from those who cannot bring themselves to place the blame squarely where it belongs. Thank goodness they represent a small minority of Americans

8 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

If I were in charge, I would've had the anti-racist protesters line the streets where the kkk were, silent, shoulder to shoulder with their backs turned to them. It would've delivered a very powerful message and imagery.

3 Likes Save    
Nothing Left to Say

Where race is concerned, intellectual honesty, the willingness to see and say what is right in front of us, has long been in short supply. And too many of you — not all, no, but far too many — readily embrace these implicit lies because you fear the places to which the truth will push you. But the racial riot and terrorism that just visited Charlottesville and the emboldened brazenness of the white supremacist movement now that one of their own has taken the White House, suggest that you no longer have the luxury of avoidance, at least not if the future of this country matters to you.

I am not unmindful of the young white students who protested the hate that arrived on their campus Saturday. For that matter, I am not unmindful of the white people who marched through Charleston after the church massacre there. I remember James Zwerg, who had his face kicked in, and Viola Liuozzo and Elijah Lovejoy, who were shot to death for African-American freedom.

But I am likewise not unmindful that too many of you have watched with complicit silence and quiet terror of demographic change as voting rights were abridged, murderous policemen went free, Fox “News” turned your resentment into ratings and politicians turned your rancor into power.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article166945412.html#storylink=cpy

4 Likes Save    
Margo

I think if all the protesters of the KKK rally would have silently stood and turned their backs to this group it would have spoke volumes. Imagine a group of Antifa members standing quietly with their backs turned, no violence, no yelling....could have been more sensational and with a far better out come.

Save    
Margo

LOL Annie- we were typing the same message.... there is hope;)))))))

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

White Nationlism is a hate group that should not be issued permits or allowed protests on any level. Sitting quietly while Nazis take over America is not patriotic.

This video is pertinent today just as much as it was in 1947

https://youtu.be/8K6-cEAJZlE

source Utube Don't Be a Sucker

Save    
Nothing Left to Say

“There comes a time when silence is betrayal.”
Martin Luther King Jr.

eta this is aimed at suggestions that racism be ignored. Not at suggestions that protesters use silence as a means of protest.

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

I agree crl.

1 Like Save    
Margo

No one is saying racism should be ignored. The KKK racists should be ignored.

1 Like Save    
Pidge

Silence is assent. If I sit silently while someone calls someone else by a racial epithet and I don't speak up, I am tacitly assenting to the racism. This is not rocket science. I am consistenly surprised at how many people think we should all just sit silently while white supremacists and Nazis spout racist and Nazi epithets. That's what happened in Nazi Germany, in Rwanda, in Srebrenica (sp), at Wpunded Knee, and many of the other places where hatred was allowed to run free and unchallenged.

If what you want is unfettered racism and rallies that promote it, then shut your doors and windows. But don't think that hiding from the reality of racism will somehow defuse it.

Save    
1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

There were 50 KKK protesters with a permit for a rally

There you go again, getting the facts wrong

And the facts aren't hard to find, but I guess, as usual, the truth is inconvenient to the RW when it doesn't fit the ideology.

How sad

... a right-wing group known as Unity and Security for America has also applied for a permit to host a rally on Aug. 12. The applications were filed on May 24 and 30, respectively, and were first reported by the Daily Progress.

Unity and Security for America is led by Jason Kessler, a local blogger who was recently fired by conservative website the Daily Caller for his support for white supremacist groups.

According to Dickler, Unity and Security for America founder and right-wing blogger Jason Kessler submitted an application to hold an assembly in Lee Park from 12 to 5 p.m. Aug. 12.

More than 400 people are estimated to attend.

The Traditionalist Workers Party — a political organization that identifies with national socialism and white nationalism — announced on its Facebook page Monday that an event will be held in Charlottesville in August.

Your hero, Matthew Heimbach, is the leader of the Traditionalist Workers Party.

You must be so proud.

I seriously doubt Robert E. Lee would be, though.

3 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Please stop blaming the victims.
Just because the KKK had a permit, that all went out the window, as soon as they began inciting hate and violence, by chanting the anti Semitic , blood and soil.
The night before the march, they broughtt in armed militia.
The KKK, planned specifically to hold this rally in a diverse, progressive college town, where they would get a lot of publicity.
Maybe Fox are suggesting to their minions that ignoring these racist and hate group should have been done, but the people on the side of social justice had every right to peacefully assemble and denounce this fascist group. As a group of worshippers were assembling the night before in their church, the Nazis chanted blood and soil outside.
Trump's refusal to denounce white nationals is energizing their movement, who whole heartedly supported him, as Bannon sits in the WH.
Save    
Margo

This Matthew Heimbach is no ones hero mom;(

It sounds like he is trying to latch on to Trump. This is making a Hay Day for the left to use against him.

Save    
mayflowers

I've looked at many photos and video of this protest and haven't seen evidence of antifa being involved. In James Woods photo, the group on the right with shields and helmets were shown on the news as the racists. The protesters who were hit by the car were not antifa. Antifa do not march and carry signs. I think some people here are trying to insinuate that the people who were run over had it coming to them because they were part of antifa and BLM, but they look like ordinary protesters to me. They came out because we won't look the other way when these racist groups gather.

8 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Matthew Heimback has already "latched on" to Trump.

And Trump is just tickled pink.

Trump can't even mumble a condemnation of the violence yesterday

3 Likes Save    
Margo

I do not know who you are talking to chase. I do not see anyone defending the driver. Always twisting things;(

1 Like Save    
chase_gw

"The KKK racists should be ignored."

No they should not . They should be isolated, called out and marginalized .

One of their's, and an avowed Trump supporter, mowed down innocent protesters in an act of terrorism and that cannot be ignored!

I recall the ranting by some here when a Bernie supporter committed a crime....it certainly wasn't ignored then was it !!!

10 Likes Save    
Margo

mom- remember when Black Lives Matter started? Sounded nice huh? Then it lead to ALL Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter... which led to side taking. Trump is saying ALL sides need to stop the violence and hatred. He is talking to ALL.

Save    
Kathy

So Conservatives approve of Bannon, Miller, and Gorka in WH? Trump brought them there.

3 Likes Save    
Margo

The driver has been arrested NOT ignored. The Bernie supporter shooter was arrested and NOT ignored. We are saying ignore the protesters and keep it civil.

Save    
Ann

We very much ranted when a Bernie supporter created violence at the baseball practice, but I I'm remembering correctly, not a single one of us made any association whatsoever with Bernie. In fact, I remember the discussion mentioning that even though the guy worked on Bernie's campaign, it had NOTHING to do with Bernie himself. The same should apply to Trump in this case!

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

The people I saw with shields and helmets were Virginia State police with VSP on the helmets.

Many of the white supremacists were carrying weapons as open carry is permitted in Virginia.ETA:. Just saw a picture of protesters with the shields and helmets as well.

ETA 2:. The difference, Ann, is that Senator Sanders has condemned violence of any kind in support of a political cause. Trump has not. He has not condemned the white supremacists or the KKK at the rally. He blamed "many sides." Quite a different reaction than was Bernie's.

3 Likes Save    
SandyC.
Sableoncow, I know James woods is an actor, his recounting of right wing Jews, is a little absurd. I have many right wing
" conservative" Jewish friends who's hate for arabs is just that. They are the far right, religiously intolerant.
The recounting of Koch Bros is missing some major facts from Wikipedia.
The billionaires backers of the tea party, have become the major donors of the House of Representatives through citizens united.
Their narrative of smaller government and decreased regulations, all for the fossil fuel industry.
They want to defund the ACA, Medicare and SS.
They want to dismantle the EPA, the public school system ....
Read Dark Money, by Jane Mayer, or any of the other excellent books out there, for a history of their Nazi funding father and their beliefs.
The Kochs are major backers of the conspiracy of voter fraud cases.
The list is long...
Save    
CindyMac(8b)

Ann, that's called selective memory.

4 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Trump is saying ALL sides need to stop the violence and hatred. He is talking to ALL.

OMG, you really believe that?

Trump isn't talking to all, he's talking to his base - white supremacists. As David Duke reminded Mr. Trump yesterday.

Neo-Nazis Praise Trump's Response to Charlottesville: ‘He Said He Loves Us All'

President Donald Trump on Saturday condemned violence that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia, where thousands of neo-Nazis, Ku Klux Klan members, and other pieces of human trash gathered brandishing guns, torches, and Confederate flags.

But to the elation of Nazis online and armed militiamen in the streets of Charlottesville, Trump declined to distance the White House from the white hate groups who’d initially gathered in Charlottesville to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. Instead, the president condemned “hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides.”

During brief remarks from his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., the president made no mention of the white supremacists, some of whom wore t-shirts featuring quotes by Adolf Hitler or carried flags bearing symbols of Nazi Germany. “It’s been going on for a long time in our country,” said Trump, apparently referencing the violence and disorder. “It’s not Donald Trump, it’s not Barack Obama.”

Many Americans were waiting to hear one thing from the president, a strong and explicit rebuke of white supremacy and symbols of hate being paraded down American streets. But he never said it. And that didn’t go unnoticed by his racist supporters.

“Trump comments were good,” wrote the Daily Stormer, a leading American neo-Nazi website associated with the so-called “alt-right” movement. “He didn’t attack us. He just said the nation should come together. Nothing specific against us,” it said.

“He said he loves us all,” the site continued. “No condemnation at all.”

And this from the go-to RW source, the Daily Stormer

Save    
Maddie AtHome

FBI has taken over.

Save    
catspa_zone9sunset14

As momj shows, this was not meant to be some little "50 KKK" march, but the largest white nationalist gathering of recent times, which would include KKK along with neo-Nazis, etc.

The NY Times lists antifa as being present, but there doesn't seem to have been a large number of them, judging by the photos. The people run over by the car were part of a peaceful group leaving the protest area.

Among the white nationalists were armed militia groups, as in the photo, below, not wearing KKK uniforms, it can be noted.

Save    
chase_gw

"The same should apply to Trump in this case! "

No that is not how I recall it either Cindy. Same with the threads about the Berkeley riots.

These haters called on Trump by name. said he owed them what he promised them when they voted for him. Today Neo Nazi groups are praising Trump for NOT calling them out.

Save    
Margo

Go read Antifa facebook page. Antifa was there.

Save    
CindyMac(8b)

11 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

In fact, I remember the discussion mentioning that even though the guy worked on Bernie's campaign, it had NOTHING to do with Bernie himself.

^^^^

You are correct. It wasn't Bernie, fgs. It was the MSM and FLW fascists.

2 Likes Save    
Margo

CindyMac(8b)

Ann, that's called selective memory.

Truthful tho')

1 Like Save    
CindyMac(8b)

4 Likes Save    
ann_t

"No one is saying racism should be ignored. The KKK racists should be ignored."

It doesn't work this way. If you ignore KKK/racists, you are ignoring racism.

8 Likes Save    
Kathy

There were also White Nationalists dressed with helmets looking like police as protestors were being beat...(black man was being beat with sticks by White Nationalists)...this made it look as if the police condoned it.

4 Likes Save    
Margo

OY- OK- just do it CIVIL

Save    
mrskjun(9)

Good for you chase. So you think it was a good thing for the anti protesters to show up weaponized looking for a fight.

Here you go, you can certainly participate. Just a couple of groups, I'm sure there are more.

http://herndonrestonindivisible.com/event/showing-up-for-racial-justice-defend-charlottesville-nonewkkk/

https://medium.com/@lifeofDVS/august-12th-facing-the-alt-right-and-everything-after-a077cf41bbaf

https://enoughisenough14.org/2017/07/28/antifaalert-charlottesville-national-socialist-movement-will-join-spencer/

No permits needed.

1 Like Save    
Maddie AtHome

Since this were White Supremacists wielding torches yelling 'blood and soil' and killing and injuring people, some are clearly singing a different tune now.

2 Likes Save    
sunflower_petal(5a)

This man drank the Kool-Aid that conservative media spews. If you're not with Trump, you're against him. We've got to take back our country, we've got to make it great again!

Breitbart, an alt-right media, is an approved WH media source. Trump tweets whatever Fox says.

6 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

So you think it was a good thing for the anti protesters to show up weaponized looking for a fight.

The racist protesters showed up weaponized.

That seems to be all right with you.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

White Nationalists want chaos. Bannon wants chaos. That is how they take over a country. Please watch the Don't be a sucker video....get educated about these groups. I know some of you are not racist. Wake up before it is too late.

Trumps platitudes are more calls to White Narionalism. You have to know their language and narratives or you will be the sucker.

9 Likes Save    
chase_gw

Not one of you "blaming" the protesters has condemed the white supremasict that commited that horrific act.........that tells me all I need to know. Have at it

12 Likes Save    
Kathy

I agree Chase.

Fox this morning is blaming the Democrat KKK which is now Republican. They are looking to blame everyone but White supremists.

Just as Trump's silence is deafening so is the silence on HTs.

5 Likes Save    
lakeaffect

When KKK rallies were 20 idiots protesting, you know, before trump was elected and gave license to them and their ilk, it seemed like it was OK to just ignore them. Now that the holder of the highest office in the land aids and abets their agenda, nope, no way, we can no longer ignore and silently snicker at the KKK, the individuals involved must be outed and held accountable for their hate. But the usual suspects here can't see that, and their "just ignore them" and "don't erase history" (removal of the Lee statue) protestations show, unsurprisingly, that agree with and support the trump and his embrace of the KKK agenda.

9 Likes Save    
Maddie AtHome

The KKK was founded and to this very day is ran by Conservatives.

Own them.

7 Likes Save    
SandyC.
To compare a deranged gunman with an organized KKK, white supremacist group is insane.
The Scalice shooting was an act of violence by a mentally ill man. Even though Scalice has ties to white supremacist, he did not deserve to be shot, either did the others who were shot.
A bigger question is why was a deranged man with a history of domestic abuse carrying a rifle?
Bernie did not incite violence, he did not spew racial slurs, threaten to ban all Muslims, lock up his opponent, build a stupid wall and ban anti legal immigration, scapegoat i migrants and point out the Mexican judge's heritage in his lawsuit. Trump knew exactly what he was doing, race baiting his base, starting with the birther conspiracy. The white supremacists who voted for Trump, have been given a voice. They held a celebratory meeting a block from the WH, with leader Richard Spencer.
To stick your head in the sand and only believe Fox " news" and not admit Trump has energized the racists is the same as condoning it.
If you agree with Trump maybe look inward, as you continue to tell citizens of other counties to stop commenting on our politics. Nativism and white nationalism is not to be tolerated and it will be stood up to by the good people of our county. If you are offended by it, then denounce the racists. Silence and indifference only makes them stronger.
2 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Wait for it....

Robert Byrd .....

2 Likes Save    
mayflowers

You are wrong, Ann. Mimi vociferously blamed liberals and LW media. I don't know how you could have missed it as there were dozens of posts and she held back nothing in her anger. I got a little concerned.

8 Likes Save    
Caree

'Wake up before it is too late.'

------------

Those who most need to read Dr. Lila’s article on the destructiveness of LW identity politics which has brought us to this point are the ones to either SOB or reject it, just like the first time I posted it after the election. It doesn’t validate their actions and beliefs with confirmation bias.

Quick synopsis. When addressing issues, for example, equal rights, instead of segregating people, speak in broader terms that address all as one. Think in terms of the human race, not individual races. Address Americans as a whole who are in this together, not by groups. This is unifying. Issues apply to and affect everyone. And groups don’t get left out. Be sensitive and discreet when addressing volatile issues that involve deeply rooted beliefs and personal values around areas such as religion or sex.

Otherwise you lose potential allies.

Dr. Lila also points out,

'Liberals should bear in mind that the first identity movement in American politics was the Ku Klux Klan, which still exists. Those who play the identity game should be prepared to lose it.

---------------

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html

Dr. Lila is a Harvard educated 'Professor of Humanities at Columbia University, an American political scientist, historian of ideas and a journalist.’

Save    
mayflowers

The people I saw with shields and helmets were Virginia State police with VSP on the helmets.

Not in James Woods' photo. I think he's trying to say the shielded and helmeted men were the antifa, but they were the racists.

Margo, the Bernie shooter was killed, not arrested.

2 Likes Save    
Maddie AtHome

Yeah compared with the threads on Scalise, some are clearly singing a different tune now.

5 Likes Save    
labrea_gw

Celebrating cultural heritage is how this used to be addressed

apparently still is! Enemies of the country then still are oh and don't show up to keep them dixiecups from rising against that's called reason to be murdered ! Own you crap!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

I would say POTUS is trying to construct a statement saying he supports "peace" without calling out White Nationalists. He wants to blame "all".

He still has not condemned bombing of Mosque. His silence is deafening....

2 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Go read Antifa facebook page. Antifa was there.

No doubt they were part of the morning skirmishes.

But it doesn't look like it was a group of antifa who a Trump-supporting nutjob decided to plow his car into. University students and other civilians made up most of the protesting group who appeared to be walking away after the rally was shut down.

Save    
Ann

Mayflowers, please reread my comment. I said Bernie was not blamed. I think the FLW and MSM have a ton to do with the hatred in our country.

2 Likes Save    
SandyC.
To pivot to the antifa is very telling. For Fox and all if their minions to not denounce white nationalism is disgusting.
The "conservatives" want to go back to the good old days, and take their country back from all if the dark skinned immigrants, the gays, the trans, the others.
Sessions and trump are on a path to turn back civil liberties and justice in this country. They gave begun by refusing to accept gay rights in the work place.
Those who say go just let the KKK conduct their racist business chanting blood and soil throughout the streets is sickening. People have a right go free speech, but not a right to incite violence.
These are the same people who probably thought MLK should have just allowed the lynchings and civil rights violators to just carry on speak freely.
Racism is not to be accepted or tolerated .
Save    
donna_in_sask(2b)

I honestly think Trump prefers to deal with the fallout from this domestic terror crisis than to have the focus on the Russia investigation. I don't think it's all incompetence, he knows the faster the Russia probe wraps up, the quicker his term in office ends.

1 Like Save    
ann_t

You also said, "I very much agree with cait about race relations being at their worst in decades and I think that deterioration fell right smack in the middle of President Obama's time in office. I think that is the heaviest damage done to our country in those 8 years and I think Obama was instrumental in that decline."

Why is it President Obama's fault? Because he is black?

6 Likes Save    
Margo

Why is it President Obama's fault? Because he is black?

Race baiting at it's finest.

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

Race baiting at it's finest.

^^^

And a profound lack of insight!

3 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

I think the FLW and MSM have a ton to do with the hatred in our country.

Of course you do, dearie, we expect nothing less

The RW has been brainwashed.

There is no "far left wing".

They faded away in the 1980's

And the main stream media is in no way responsible for the hatred in our country.

We can lay the blame firmly at the door of Fox "New", Breitbart, Alex Jones, the KKK, Circa, The Blaze, American One TV,

And these same media outlets are now encouraging Mr. Trump to start a nuclear war and attack North Korea

It's time for the RW to get their collective heads out of their collective arses and realize what they have unleashed with their election of Donald Trump

The RW is so pissed off that the main stream media aren't drooling sycophants of Mr. Trump like the RWNJ media is.

Save    
anneliese32

I did not want to add to the debate but have to remind some of you that "ignore them" is something Germans are still reprimanded for to this date. I have lived through that time then, the same ideas, rhetoric and now tactics. I hate the thought of having to relive the same scenario at the end of my life.

30 Likes Save     Thanked by THOR, Son of ODIN
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Thank you Anneliese32.

4 Likes Save    
SandyC.
The racists will continue to blame Obama forever. Yes.
Ignorance and bigotry exists. We see it on right wing sites.
We see it here with Trump supporters who never denounced Trumps initial birther conspiracy, in fact a white supremacist here on HT still defends it!
Fox and bigots like Limbaugh called Obamacare, nothing more than reparations and a civil rights bill.
Would they have called the same bill reparations when Romney introduced it?
1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Slight detour here in response to sable's defense of the Koch Brothers as "liberals."

----------------------------------------------------

"No, The Koch Brothers Aren’t Socially Liberal

David Koch said in a December 2014 interview, “I’m basically a libertarian. I’m a conservative on economic matters and I’m a social liberal.” But a ThinkProgress review of the brothers’ spending record finds that their actions largely contradict those claims. . . . Indeed, the duo and their affiliated organizations have spent more than $86 million in support of elected officials, presidential nominees and organizations who do not support abortion rights or same-sex marriage. Over that same period, the review found just over $86,000 spent in support of eight current officeholders who support both abortion rights and marriage equality . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Reproductive Rights Spending

As Lee Fang noted in his book The Machine, Charles Koch has spoken of the importance of uniting “social and economic conservatives to make a difference.” To do this, the Kochs have poured millions into electing some of the most vocally anti-abortion and anti-LGBT figures in Washington.

Of the 265 federal elected officials who have benefited from Koch spending since 2010, just nine have pro-choice voting records. . . . The Kochs and their committees have spent more than $27 million in support of these anti-abortion legislators, while they spent just about $90,000 on pro-choice officials. . . .

LGBT Equality Spending

Just 12 of those Koch-backed members of Congress have publicly supported marriage equality to date, compared with 253 who have not. Marriage equality supporters have received just over $400,000 (some of which came before their decision to endorse same-sex unions), while the others have received more than $27 million."

-------------------------------

ThinkProgress concludes that the hugh sums that the Koch Brothers spend on anti-choice and anti-LGBT candidates " are perhaps the most overt representation of their socially conservative spending, despite their rhetoric that they are social liberals."

How can anyone avoid concluding that whatever "personal beliefs" the Koch Brothers may (or may not) have, their public spending is devoted to candidates who oppose abortion rights and LGBT!

And that covers just two issues, Sable. What about all the others? Are they saying one thing but spending their money just the opposite?

More info. at my linked source.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
azmom

"We can lay the blame firmly at the door of Fox "New", Breitbart, Alex Jones, the KKK, Circa, The Blaze, American One TV,"

No, don't blame those media, as millions are also having access to those network.

Trumpesters themselves are responsible for their decisions and behaviors, yet they are too coward and stupid to admit that.

3 Likes Save    
mayflowers

Mayflowers, please reread my comment. I said Bernie was not blamed. I think the FLW and MSM have a ton to do with the hatred in our country.

As does Fox News, who started this type of journalism, portraying conservatives and Christians as victims of societal changes long before the MSNBC came along to counter them.

Bernie did not advocate violent resistance, but do you not think he is FLW??? He's further left than the Democratic Party! So I don't know who the FLW is, but I'm sure they didn't vote for Hillary. And we liberals were personally blamed for the Scalise shooting. We were called dogs who had to be dragged from a manger and shot or some such colorful phrasing.

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

This bears reposting

"ignore them" is something Germans are still reprimanded for to this date. I have lived through that time then, the same ideas, rhetoric and now tactics. I hate the thought of having to relive the same scenario at the end of my life.

9 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

anneliese32

I did not want to add to the debate but have to remind some of you that "ignore them" is something Germans are still reprimanded for to this date. I have lived through that time then, the same ideas, rhetoric and now tactics. I hate the thought of having relive the same scenario at the end of my life.

^^^^^^

As much as the MSM would have you believe, this isn't Nazi Germany.

The KKK and white supremacists are a very small percentage of the population and they are being given a platform by the MSM to score political points.

Admittedly, these losers think that they have a friend in the Oval Office, but Trump has made it abundantly clear, they do not.

Republicans HATE them. Richard Spencer gets kicked out of any Republican function he attempts to befoul.

Ignoring less than 100 or 200 LOSERS who got a permit to protest, or adding THOUSANDS of "anti-protesters" who do nothing but turn what would have been nary a blip on the radar into a tinder box?

That's an easy choice for me, and it should be for any American with a lick of common sense.

Just because you invoke the Holocaust it doesn't make you right and it doesn't end the discussion.

Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

All this just to get a few tax cuts....

9 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Anneliese - My mom grew up in Nazi Germany and has made similar comments, about the start and end of her life. Thanks for yours.

Save    
jillinnj

Ann

not a single one of us made any association whatsoever with Bernie.

Wrong. Your memory fails you again.

mimipadv

You are correct. It wasn't Bernie, fgs. It was the MSM and FLW fascists.

Ah, so when a supporter of Bernie commits a violent act, it's the "MSM" and "FLW fascists" fault.

When a supporter of Trump commits a violent act, it's not Fox or the FRW to blame.

Right?

Yet you conveniently leave out the fact that Bernie denounced it. Trump cannot denounce White Supremacists.

With all those big words you love to use, you haven't added hypocrite to your repertoire yet, huh?

7 Likes Save    
mayflowers

"I very much agree with cait about race relations being at their
worst in decades and I think that deterioration fell right smack in the
middle of President Obama's time in office. I think that is the heaviest
damage done to our country in those 8 years and I think Obama was
instrumental in that decline."

I truly believe they blame Obama because they saw blacks as finally "settling down" and becoming more like whites, which makes them comfortable to be around. Then Obama reminded them of their "blackness" with renewed pride in the first black president and that radicalized them. We went back to the civil rights era with groups like BLM. Oh, that had nothing to do with the police shootings of unarmed blacks. No, those radicals were all Obama's fault for not following his maternal white side and defending the police, which they expected of him when many of them voted for him.

2 Likes Save    
lilacinjust

If ANTIFA existed in Nazi Germany, you might have a valid equivalency.

The dynamic in America in 2017 is very, very different.

Save    
jillinnj

I think we'll hear more from Trump tomorrow.

Nothing today either.

Is there anything this disgusting excuse for a human being can do that you won't defend?

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

We have a dear family friend who was one of "Hilter's girls". Blond blue eyed and taken from her parents to a camp when she was a child. Her parents were given a choice of "letting her go to camp" or the whole family going to a gas chamber. She is an amazing woman.

If you had been in her parents' position, what would you have done?

At that point they can do nothing but protect their child and family. The time for action was long before the Nazi came to that level of power. The time to stop Hitler was way before he had the capabilities to threaten the people into submission. Many looked the other way, made excuses and refused to stand up against his rise. Learn a lesson from history.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

FWIW, it's been reported that neo-Nazi message boards like TheDailyStormer.com were full of instructions, directions to the faithful to bring weapons, shields, etc. to this rally in the weeks leading up to the event.

& here's a video of the marchers just before & as the car plowed into them - it was a peaceful demonstration:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/during-racist-charlottesville-rally-car-plows-into-crowd-of-people_us_598f422fe4b09071f69a019e

OTOH, reporting also indicates that law enforcement was just standing passively as violence broke out, initiated by the Unite The Right demonstrators - not best practices @ defusing or preventing such clashes, it seems:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/police-mayhem-charlottesville_us_598fc9a8e4b0909642977f9c?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

& this was reported as the 'largest' white nationalist rally, w/ attendance said to be approx. 6,000. I cannot help but compare that to the 100s of thousands who demonstrated peacefully @ the women's marches back in January...

Save    
SandyC.
No^^^^
2 Likes Save    
jillinnj

anneliese32

I did not want to add to the debate but have to remind some of you that "ignore them" is something Germans are still reprimanded for to this date. I have lived through that time then, the same ideas, rhetoric and now tactics. I hate the thought of having to relive the same scenario at the end of my life.

Thank you, anneliese. It must be horrifying for you, and anyone that lived through that, to be witness to what is happening today in this country.

These people are having a fit because a statue celebrating white supremacy is being removed and screaming about history. Well, they should spend a little time studying history and maybe they'd realize the similarities between now and then.

Unfortunately, it will never happen as it would require opening their minds and admitting their choice was a big mistake. They are not capable. They'd support the devil himself if he had an "R" after his name. That just makes me so sad.

I hope Mueller can save us before it gets worse.

6 Likes Save    
ojo_sigo

Actually 'ignore them' is what the police seems to have done

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

Mayflowers remarks made me think of this - David dukes little tweet-replies to trump yesterday. Notice, of course, what he says but also the time stamps and the last one we have all seen. If I can find them so can his supporters.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

We ALL must
be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for
this kind of violence in America. Lets come together as one!

10:19 AM - Aug 12, 2017

David Duke
@DrDavidDuke

Our people
were peacefully assembling and attacked by the same radical leftists who
invaded your meetings and attacked your supporters. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896420822780444672 …

10:58 AM - Aug 12, 2017

David Duke
@DrDavidDuke

So, after
decades of White Americans being targeted for discriminated &
anti-White hatred, we come together as a people, and you attack us? https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896420822780444672 …

11:01 AM - Aug 12, 2017

David Duke
@DrDavidDuke

I would
recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White
Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/896420822780444672 …

11:03 AM - Aug 12, 2017

Save    
SandyC.
The Kochs were part of the " conservatives" that bowed to the right wing evangelicals with their anti choice agenda.
They really don't care, I believe, but as they saw their base of old, white men dwindling, they appeased the right wing religiously intolerant.
This also goes hand in hand with racism and bigotry. The evangelical movement of religious intolerance is also anti Muslim. The crowd Trump continues to tell " We will go back to saying Merry Christmas."
A very important issue with those who are intolerant of "others" beliefs, religions and customs and believe we are a European, white, Judeo Christian nation ( i.e. Bannon, Flynn, Sessions, KellyAnn, Miller, Gorka).
Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My apologies if this was reported earlier in the thread, but I was late coming to this one, and haven't had time to re-read everything.

I thought this "local" report was interesting for several reasons, one being the Jewish mayor's response (given some earlier comments on this thread).

------------------------------------------------

"Charlottesville Jewish Mayor blames Trump for violent white supremacist rally

. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“I’m not going to make any bones about it,” Mayor Michael Signer said. “I place the blame for a lot of what you’re seeing in America today right at the doorstep of the White House and the people around the President.”

White nationalists clashed with counter-demonstrators in Charlottesville, Virginia, on Saturday, prompting the governor to declare an emergency and stop a rally to protest the planned removal of a Confederate general from a public park.

Fighting broke out in the city’s downtown before noon when hundreds of people, some wearing white nationalist symbols and carrying Confederate battle flags, were confronted by a nearly equal number of counter-protesters. The clashes began the previous evening, resulting in at least one arrest.

Many of the combatants on both sides wore helmets and held shields, and some in the crowd brandished wooden poles. Militia members in the city openly carried rifles, although no gunfire was reported."

------------------------------------------

Kate

3 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

not a single one of us made any association whatsoever with Bernie.

Wrong. Your memory fails you again.

Gore Vidal said that we live in “The United States of Amnesia.”

We see that "amnesia" here,over and over again on HT, when the RW forgets "inconvenient truths".

Our fatal forgetfulness flares when white bigots come out of their closets, emboldened by the tacit cover they’re given by our president. We cannot pretend that the ugly bigotry unleashed in the streets of Charlottesville, Va., this weekend has nothing to do with the election of Donald Trump.

In attendance was white separatist David Duke, who declared that the alt-right unity fiasco “fulfills the promises of Donald Trump.”

Mr. Trump responded by offering false equivalencies between white bigots and their protesters. His soft denunciations of hate ring hollow when he has white nationalist advisers like Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller whispering in his ear.

Now is the time for every decent white American to prove he or she loves this country by actively speaking out against the scourge this bigotocracy represents. If such heinous behavior is met by white silence, it will only cement the perception that as long as most white folk are not immediately at risk, then all is relatively well. Yet nothing could be further from the truth, and nothing could more clearly declare the moral bankruptcy of our country.

Source

Save    
SandyC.
And today, Trump has an ad out about real Americans supporting him, and denouncing his enemies on the left.
Not a word about racists and white supremacists!
Save    
SandyC.
Trump voters , voted for him for a reason.
1 Like Save    
Margo

Maybe Trump took caits advice to me;))

cait1

No. Never submit to the FLW's demands. NOT EVER. It's a ploy, a ruse, a way to get your face under their jackboots. 'White supremacist' is too vague a description and they know it and want to use it against you.

1 Like Save    
Margo

Sandy- what reason did I vote for Trump? Tell me?

Save    
Margo

I guess you voted for Obama because you hate old white men?

Save    
leona_2008

anneliese, your voice needs to be heard and I thank you for speaking up. At the same time, I am so sorry you are having to relive this.

1 Like Save    
SandyC.

Anneliese, I too believe your voice needs to be heard. Thank you. We have a bunch of neo Nazis in the WH. Bannon and Gorka need to go.

My 93 yr old in laws, who lost many in Russian gulogs and pre war Hungary are horrified with Trump. Voices need to be heard and we must never forget.

White nationlism faction of this administration needs to go.

Save    
Margo

You can not answer so you rest lol

Save    
momj47(7A)

that deterioration fell right smack in the middle of President Obama's time in office.

And that's because the white supremacists, the neo-Nazis, the KKK, the right wing are enraged by having a black President.

And the GOP feeds the rage. And the RWNJ media feeds the rage. And white evangelical "christians" feed the rage.

And until yesterday, Republican "lawmakers" fed the rage.

A few of them stumbled, and stepped back, and got a good look at what they have created, what they have enabled. And some of them don't like what they see.

But not all of them

the reaction was different among Republicans from the South, where a sizable percentage of GOP voters support keeping the sort of Confederate monuments that the white supremacist groups rallied in Charlottesville to protect.

He's running for Session's Senate seat, and Trump just endorsed him?!

If Strange stands with Trump then he clearly doesn't stand with the leaders of both political parties.

Save    
jillinnj

We know why you voted for him, Margo. You've made it very clear with your many postings here. Unlike you, we read them and understand them. You're very transparent.

And, why am I not surprised you don't even understand the concept of "I rest my case"?

3 Likes Save    
Margo

jillinnj

We know why you voted for him, Margo. You've made it very clear with your many postings here. Unlike you, we read them and understand them. You're very transparent.

Clueless.

Save    
mayflowers

I just watched Trump's statement on Charlottesville. I had only read what was reported yesterday and they left off most of his statement. In the next sentence or two after his opening remarks, he advocates "law and order" and says that "no child should be afraid to go outside and play or be with their parents and have a good time." What???? He must be referring to Chicago where he's mentioned before about children unable to play in the streets because of gun violence. But what does black crime in Chicago have to do with what happened in Charlottesville? Clearly, he is saying that blacks are the violent ones and the white nationalists are justified in rallying against them. Clearly, he is taking the side of the white nationalists.

Scarramucci was on Meet the Press this morning blaming Bannon for Trump's inadequate response, and he thinks Bannon must go. Bannon is also known to be a leaker. I posted the interview in the Bannon thread.

2 Likes Save    
CindyMac(8b)

And today, Trump has an ad out about real Americans supporting him, and denouncing his enemies on the left.

One day after calling for unity. SMH

2 Likes Save    
momj47(7A)

Save    
Margo

so much for him playing golf.

Save    
lily316

I don't have time right now to read all of this long thread so if this was said before...The FRwingers here who say just ignore these racist goons isn't this what the Germans have regretted for decades now? You don't ignore hatred bigotry or you seem to condone it like tRump apparently does. NO statement from him because his puppet master Bannon is one and the same with these goons as is Miller(who bears a funny resemblance to Goebbels and talks in the same menacing way). The beautiful young woman killed yesterday said in FB before she went that people should be outraged by this. Apparently the wingers on here aren't. As for James Woods, he is such a piece of crap, so far far right he's in the stratosphere. A washed up actor who is as dangerous as anyone in the KKK. These KKKers and the rest of the goons are jack boot thugs and there need to be forces standing up and telling them to crawl back to their caves.

Save    
mayflowers

Trump, the Great Divider.

Please note in his statement yesterday his racist dog whistle to law and order.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here's an excerpt from a tweet by someone named Julius Goat and the responses it generated. Click on the link to see the entire sequence--quite impressive.

----------------------------------------

Imagine if these people ever faced actual oppression, (Julius Goat asks).

Replying to @JuliusGoat

• Nobody is trying to legislate away their right to marry.
    Nobody is trying to make them buy insurance to pay for 'male health care.'
  • The law never
    Enslaved their great-grandparents
    Robbed their grandparents
    Imprisoned their parents
    Shot them when unarmed
  • There is no massive effort at the state and local level to disenfranchise them of the vote.
  • There is no history of centuries of bad science devoted to 'proving' their intellectual inferiority.
  • Their churches were never burned.
    Their lawns never decorated with burning crosses
    Their ancestors never hung from trees
  • They are chanting 'we will not be replaced.
  • 'Replaced as ... what?
  • I'll tell you.
  • Replaced as the only voice in public discussions.
  • Replaced as the only bodies in the public arena.
  • Replaced as the only life that matters.
  • THIS is 'white man' oppression.
  • We face criticism now. We were free from it, because others feared the consequences.
  • THIS is 'oppression' of white Christians in this country.
    Christmas used to be the only holiday acknowledged, now it's not.

----------------------------------------------------------

More at the link.

Those responses are by different folks, but together, they almost read like a poem, don't they. A group poem, in Whitmanesque style, on "The Song of Democracy."

Kate

6 Likes Save    
mayflowers

This thread is too important to let it devolve into a spat between Margo and other members, which is what she wants. Flag her off-topic comments if you can't ignore her.

Save    
lily316

The neo nazi group the Daily Stormer said today the president loves us and would not condemn us and walked out of the room when asked the question. There's your answer, wingers.

Save    
rhoder551 zone 9b-10

Here is the remark from goat that jumped out at me:

Julius Goat‏ @JuliusGoat
Aug 12

Give them a world where they suddenly get a 20% pay cut, and then 70 women every day tell them to smile more.

1 Like Save    
jillinnj

I guess Hillary voters are all crooked and corrupt. They must all be blatant liars and condone extra marital sex affairs. Is that why you voted for her jill?

Margo, you have a serious reading comprehension problem. Or perhaps a logic problem.

You have repeatedly said why you voted for Trump. You've posted your racist views of Obama. Repeatedly. Therefore, we know why you voted for him. And I said "We know why you voted for him, Margo."

Show me where I said anything about condoning extra marital sex affairs. Your leap of logic is not logical. Please try harder.

Now, if you were paying attention, or understanding what you read, you would actually know why I voted for Clinton. I repeated it many many times.

---

LOL- calling for self ignoring lol lol

"I know you are, but what am I" arguments are usually no longer used long before reaching adulthood. I guess MrsK's comment about those here being adults and educated was off the mark in your case.

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

White Supremacists Beat Black Man With Poles in Charlottesville, Va., Parking Garage

Twenty-year old aspiring hip-hop artist Deandre Harris beaten in parking garage next to the Charlottesville Police Department

As you will notice, there were no police around to help the man being attacked, and although the victim hasn’t been identified, the incident was one of many similar attacks on black people posted to social media.

1 Like Save    
SandyC.
White oppression is what O'Reilly spoke of right after the election. Reverse racism which is not a thing. The racists and bigots on Fox have become apologists for the white supremacists.
Everyone in the Republican Party knew who Trump was. He has peddled in racist conspiracy theories for decades. He is liar a carnival barker who told his base what they wanted to hear.
4 Likes Save    
Margo

jillinnj

Show me where I said anything about condoning extra marital sex affairs. Your leap of logic is not logical. Please try harder.

If you voted for Hillary then you must condone extra marital sex affairs. This is the logic that we keep hearing about .If you voted for Trump you must be a bigot and a racist. I am showing you how we read the comments about Trump supporters.

Save    
jillinnj

If you voted for Hillary then you must condone extra marital sex affairs. This is the logic that we keep hearing about .If you voted for Trump you must be a bigot and a racist. I am showing you how we read the comments about Trump supporters.

Wrong. Which word in the following sentence do you not understand?

YOU HAVE TOLD US MANY TIMES WHY YOU VOTED FOR TRUMP

They're aren't even any big words in that sentence. Which one do you not get?

2 Likes Save    
Margo

YOU HAVE TOLD US MANY TIMES WHY YOU VOTED FOR TRUMP

They're aren't even any big words in that sentence. Which one do you not get?

Perhaps it is snack time? ;)

1 Like Save    
cait1

I've looked at many photos and video of this protest and haven't seen
evidence of antifa being involved.... The protesters who were hit by the car were not antifa. Antifa
do not march and carry signs

You don't know what you're talking about. Antifa doesn't carry signs?? Are you blind?

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/36122828/protesters-chant-nazi-slogan-at-charlottesville-rally

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

I think the 'banter' here on why Margo voted for Trump is way off topic. Totally counter productive.

=============================

I also don't see any added value from mentioning Obama. Please ignore here on this thread. It is not the same as being silent.

============================

From what I've read so far (including the tweets from someone there - someone that's been in my Twitter feed for some time) - while there were multiple clashes - there was one incident leading to significant injuries. One. With the car.

Possibly two, the other being the beating of the black guy in the garage by white guys. (That garage is the main one in the area and many don't understand why there was no police presence in that space.)

Yes, some of the counter protestors armed themselves with bats and bottles. There were other counter protesters unarmed.

One of the unarmed counter protestors said that the police could have done more earlier on, but once the order was given to disburse the crowd, they did so in a very effective manner, seemingly without using any majorly aggressive activities.

1 Like Save    
momj47(7A)

If you voted for Trump you must be a bigot and a racist. I am showing you how we read the comments about Trump supporters.

The problem with this "logic" is that Mr. Trump made his racist view very clear. And knowing this, you still voted for him.

To wit:

he said of Mexican immigrants on the day that he announced his candidacy. “They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

when Trump announced he’d been victimized by Gonzalo Curiel, the federal judge overseeing a lawsuit against Trump University—because “he’s a Mexican.”

He claims to have “a great relationship with the blacks,” which is totally something a normal person would say.

He attacked Muslim Gold Star parents

The Justice Department sued his company ― twice ― for not renting to black people

discrimination against black people has been a pattern in his career

He was fined because managers at his casino in NJ would remove African-American card dealers at the request of a certain big-spending gamblers

“And isn’t it funny. I’ve got black accountants at Trump Castle and Trump Plaza. Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” O’Donnell recalled Trump saying. “The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”

“I think the guy is lazy,” Trump said of a black employee, according to O’Donnell. “And it’s probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is, I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”

He refused to condemn the white supremacists who are campaigning for him, and he still refusing.

He questions whether President Obama was born in the United States

He treats racial groups as monoliths

He encouraged the mob justice that resulted in the wrongful imprisonment of the Central Park Five

He condoned the beating of a Black Lives Matter protester

He called supporters who beat up a homeless Latino man “passionate”

In 1993, when Trump wanted to open a casino in Bridgeport, Connecticut, that would compete with one owned by the Mashantucket Pequot Nation, a local Native American tribe, he told the House subcommittee on Native American Affairs that “they don’t look like Indians to me... They don’t look like Indians to Indians.” Trump said it was "obvious" that the Mafia had infiltrated the Native American casinos.

He stereotyped Jews and shared an anti-Semitic meme created by white supremacists

He treats African-American supporters as tokens to dispel the idea he is racist - , Trump boasted that he had a black supporter in the crowd, saying “look at my African American over here.”

And he's sexist and antisemitic, too.

And knowing that you know this because you are well-informed, and you still defend Mr. Trump, it's hard not to draw the conclusion that you hold ideas very close to Mr. Trump's ideas.

5 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Questions: was it mainly males involved in the protest and counter-protest?

I haven't done any research, but the pictures I've been seeing are all males.

Kate

Save    
Margo

meanom

I think the 'banter' here on why Margo v