SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
safunt7

Please help with backsplash

Stacey F
6 years ago

I got my countertops and they aren't what I expected ( so bummed). I have to find a new backsplash and can't figure out what to do. I got Frosty Carina Caesarstone which is so beautiful up close but in my kitchen lighting, just 2 or 3 feet away and it looks plain white. I was going to do a white subway tile but my walls are white and now I think it will all be too boring. Gold Calcutta marble looks nice with my cabinets but I really didn't want that much movement on the backsplash. It's nice but not what I had in mind. Any ideas?? I am looking at colored glass subway but don't know if that will look too sterile. I was going for a very earthy feel. So, how do you get over feeling bummed when you spend a fortune on a new kitchen, love so many other elements and want to just be grateful but then so upset with yourself that you didn't realize what the stone would look like?

Comments (38)

• smitrovich
    6 years ago

Can you post a picture of what your kitchen looks like so far?

• toojenny
    6 years ago

Bummer. Sorry. I am sort of worried about the same thing. We went with Whisper White Granite I think it's called (not in yet nor are my cabinets). I am toning down the backsplash because I am afraid it will be too busy if I go with a pattern. I read an article by one designer that said DO NOT go with a busy tile with granite.

I looked at your caesarstone. I would think you could go with a smoky gray glass tile - would give it some warmth but not be busy. Would remain classy and not ever dated. We used glass tile in our cabin some 12-15 years ago and I STILL like it. We mixed a white glass square with smaller taupe subway tiles and it was a winner. I worked with a lady at the tile store on that. Maybe you could head to a tile store with a sample and get some help there?

Good luck. Post pics when you can.

Jennifer

• Related Discussions

please help with backsplash advice

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree That you should go with what you like because nothing is timeless. Yes, subways have been around for a hundred years, but they were not always used the same way. This will be known as the era of the subway back splash. I imagine that crackle finish, beveled edge, and glass subways will all have their own sub-eras. Heck, in Detroit in the 1920s and 1930s, when New York was all subway tiles, here the upstairs was all 5 x 5 or 6 x 6 tiles. Subways in our mansions are only in the basements, in the laundry and the extra kitchen where the servants worked. Our middle class houses have no subways at all, just square tiles. Kitchens were tiled to the ceilings, as were most bathrooms. Fads come and go. If it is not the shape and style and size of tile, it is the color. For instance, despite all the talk of going back to MCM - no one is precisely matching the colors of the 1950s and 1960s in their recreations of those fabrics that I see. I Definitely do not see avocado green and harvest gold in the 1970s re-creation things I look at! And when they claim that brass is back, it is no color of brass that I have ever seen before. Everything decorative is identifiable as to its era. I fear that it is going to be impossible to make our surroundings truly timeless without going "eclectic" in the sense of being a mish-mash of eras. So find something that you really like, for you will have it a long time. Then plan to redo it in ten or fifteen years when you tire too much of it. Or plan to stick with it and not care its age!
    ...See More

Please help with backsplash selection

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks, calidesign. Cabinets have not been painted yet. Was thinking of BM White Dove which is a soft white. I was hesitating with white tile because it maybe difficult to match the whites. Gray white or a yellow white. I have read that the BM White Dove is more a gray white. So was thinking the sand tile above would be simple and classic and no worries of a clash with the cabinet shade of white. I like your suggestion of an expresso island. The appliances are a metallic gray (although it's called black stainless steel- they are not black). This color matches the gray/charcoal in the granite. That's why was considering the very light gray tile in the first picture and a charcoal island (as an option to expresso island and sand tile). However from far the granite looks cream/taupe. So you are right that gray may not work.
    ...See More

Please help with backsplash!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you, I agree it looks more gray than the beautiful creamy slabs of the past. I have two little samples of my Taj Mahal to work with. It's from the same batch as my own slabs. Not as gray as all the others I've seen so I'm hopeful. I still love it more than anything else I've looked at but wish the creamy slabs were still around.
    ...See More

Please help choosing backsplash

Q

Comments (4)
    I like the lighter tiles. Pretty kitchen!
    ...See More
  • toojenny
    6 years ago

Oh, and by the way, I am planning on going with a small plain glass mixed with a sort of shimmery glass with my whisper white granite.

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oops. thought I posted photos

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are some more

The butler pantry will have shelves

• User
    6 years ago

I can understand that at the moment it's not what you thought it would be, however it could look very different once you have all the elements in the room completed so try not to focus on that too much. It's very pretty and what's great is that you now have a neutral back drop for a backsplash that can really wow the room. I think you should start exploring pictures of kitchens with this same counter in it and see if there isn't something that catches your eye.

I found these on Pinterest and they are all quite pretty so regardless of what you choose I don't really think you can go wrong.

I love this one:

Stacey F thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think you're kitchen is looking really nice. I only found white cabinets in my searches, are your cabinets white or are they a light wood? If they are light wood, do you know the species or tone? The lighting does make it hard to see in the pic.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

You have a gorgeous kitchen. I had to look up your counter and I see it does have a bit of a pattern. You are right in that further away it reads as a solid.

What color are the cabinets?

I agree that a plain white subway will not work. The marble you are showing might work, but again it will be very monochromatic.

If you do go with those, you can try to add some color with your accessories.

You seem to like neutrals. I do too. I think if you go darker and bolder with the BS you might regret it.

What you could consider is doing the BS in a herringbone, or some other variation that is not the usual running bond. You can go a bit darker on the grout to emphasize the pattern.

I like the tiles you are showing, but maybe in a darker variation.

Lukki and I posted at the same time. I like her examples.

Stacey F thanked eld6161
  • Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you. I had them custom painted Bradstreet Beige. The mosaic marble looks pretty nice. My husband didn't want the small tile but I think that might look better than the larger size. What do you think of colored glass? That wasn't on my radar but a decorator suggested it.

• mayflowers
    6 years ago

I was going to suggest what eld said--bring some interest in with a different shape of ceramic tile and use a grout in a soft tan color. Your kitchen reads too solid and needs pattern or texture more than it needs a color. I'd also add a runner in front of the sink cabinet section.

Stacey F thanked mayflowers
  • mayflowers
    6 years ago

Did your designer suggest a glass tile close to the cabinet color?

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

She didn't suggest a color tile yet. We are meeting again next week. I pay by the hour so I was trying to get an idea of what I wanted before we meet so she can just help me make sure it matches. It's hard for me to decide on the spot and then I waste a lot of time. As for the runner, doesnt' that get filthy?

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

wow, really pretty

what's the color of the cabs? I see light taupe?

i'd go with ceramic tile that resembles your cabinets color..slightly lighter. Some are extemely pretty. Can you go for handmade in terms of budget/waiting time?

Stacey F thanked aprilneverends
  • Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would wait and at this point, I spent so much and want to love my kitchen so some extra on the backsplash won't be a game stopper but don't want to to over the top. Would you mind showing me an example of what you had in mind? I wonder if Lukkiirish's first picture in the calucltta gold marble might be nice. that would bring up some of the beige in the cabinets and add some gray. since the tiles are so small, it doesn't feel like marble. ?? I do have that cornice with the geometric shapes so I have to be careful that a backsplash does't clash with that.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

yes..either something along the lines what mayflowers is showing. Firecalay has great selection. Check them out..very well made ceramics and glass too

I had in mind Ann Sachs collection(since I have it myself, and am very pleased)..many colors to choose from

http://www.annsacks.com/products/tile-stone-mosaic/stoneware-elements-field-tile-made-by-ann-sacks#/stoneware-elements-rectangle-field%2Ftoasted-gloss

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the great ideas!! I am heading to tile stores this afternoon with an open mind. You have all been so helpful-I'll post what I find.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Since you are being so diligent in choosing, I would suggest that you do a sample board with the tiles grouted so you can see how it will look. A few tiles propped up sometimes doesn't' give you the right perspective.

Mayflowers, that Stanwich Rd kitchen is my all time favorite.

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Eld161-do you make that yourself with the sample tiles you get from them? If yes, how do you get that to stick to a board?

• deegw
    6 years ago

You've gotten great advice about your backsplash but I want to second the suggestion of a runner for your kitchen. You can use indoor/outdoor or synthetic and they are very easy to clean. I vacuum and spot clean mine and take them outside and hose them off a few times a year.

Dash and Albert has a great selection of nicely patterned indoor/outdoor rugs.

Dash and Albert

If you wanted to go bolder, a Kilim would look great in your kitchen as well.

• printesa
    6 years ago

You have a beautiful room. Look for some tile that has a bit more movement and it's not too plain.
    Check Sonoma Tile. I've seen several of their tile in the store and they are beautiful (their stone tiles are gorgeous, but pricey). You could look at their crackled glass tile

Stacey F thanked printesa
  • mayflowers
    6 years ago

When I was backsplash hunting for my warm-toned kitchen, I found this Walker Zanger Villa d'Oro Crema tile in a 1/2" marble mosaic. I was going to do it just behind the range with subway tiles everywhere else. I'm showing it for the warm color mix since there are no grays in it like lukki's mosaic examples. It could be nice in the butler's pantry to make that area extra special. It's $50 per sheet.

Villa d'Oro Mosaic in Crema · More Info

I had a sample with Sonoma Seashell subway tile. Seashell was like a French vanilla.

Kitchen photos · More Info

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

If it looks wrong in your light Change your light! So many times this can be the easiest way to get things looking completely different and it's a very easy fix. Try led bulbs in various shades, from the yellow looking warm to the mid level to the bright white light it makes a huge difference. I went with a good daylight range in my kitchen. Very good light to be able to see well because it is a working kitchen and I need to see! Plus I love the refreshing look of the the daylight color. The warms looked terrible! Led bulbs have dropped in price so grab a few different ones and see how much difference it can make. Look at the wall and how different it looks under different lighting.

Mixing real marble and a fake look countertop is not a good look. The fake will look even more fake next to the real thing.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

a little bit of the color from the cabinets and movement from the counter within the tile so it has a little more personality. It looks great! I would not do a plain white tile.

Stacey F thanked Porter Edun
  • Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Porter Edum, is that calcutta marble?

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I went to a few tiles stores today with new eyes. Thank you again-yes, texture and movement is what I need. I saw a few things that would work. I saw Asian Statuary marble-I may even like that better than the calcutta even though the calcutta has more of the beige. I also saw a beautiful mosaic from glazio of mixed natural stone, frosted white glass and clear glass. Never thought I would want that. Just hard to tell what it would be like across the wall. Lastly, I saw glass subway tiles in a mellow green that brings out the tint of green in my floor (both frosted and shiny). I think they would all be nice. Now, to decide! Here are some photos. Thoughts? I feel so much better know thing there are options that will look nice!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

No, it was Calacatta gold: random grays/more gold.

Stacey F thanked Porter Edun
  • Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

is that honed?

• printesa
    6 years ago

The last two seem to work better,,they are warmer and go better with your cabinets. Don't go with something that is raised as you have in the 1st photo..It will be a pain to keep clean

Stacey F thanked printesa
  • mayflowers
    6 years ago

I would steer clear of gray marble. Your floor tile and cabinets are just too warm for gray.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Go ahead and do the white subway tile, it is just so classic and looks so very nice and will always do so. Paint your walls for color you may desire. If you don't like a color put up, then it is so easy to re-paint. If you don't like a tile after it is put up, it is not so easy to re-do.

Stacey F thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

I agree with many posters above..

a) wouldn't do marble-you have an artificial surface, real stone will take away from it, by being too real..:)

b) would steer from gray since your floors(from what I can judge) are too warm a color..they won't support grays, at least the ones I can see on my monitor. you need to look at all your surfaces together..if it doesn't look right with just one of them, it goes off the list

c) your floor does have some movement it it. your grout will be sort of movement too, simply by being a grout:) but. as more as I look at your pictures the more I think you love geometry..am I right? the shades, the chandelier..I think you're drawn to shapes and more or less strong patterns..am I right?

In such a case I'd either do good quality ceramic or glass tile but maybe put it in a different pattern, or take a square one rather than the subway, and, say, put it on a diagonal..or find narrower/longer size tile and put it in a herringbone pattern for example)..but yes, will require more cutting-more potential waste-meaning more tiles to be ordered in advance. there are more shapes available of course. so let shape and inevitable grout be your additional movement in the kitchen

from the choices you show-I like the greenish subway the best, for all the reasons above. but I'd make very very sure it works with your floor as well as it does seem to go with your cabinets

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention the grout. If you do the white subway, use a grout the same color of white as the tile.

Stacey F thanked WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
  • Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Aprilneverends Thank you so much for all the feedback!! I actually don't love my cornice-it's too geometric for me (I didn't realize from a small sample) but the colors are nice and it was expensive so I am keeping it. I absolutely love my round light and simple lines of the shaker doors. I think you are right about the gray and thank you for the feedback about not putting real stone next to manmade. I thought of the green (it goes well with my floor) but when I sit in my kitchen, I do like the light feel of the white. I am thinking perhaps I just need texture and subtle shades-maybe white and some off white or light beige. ?? Not going to paint the walls again-my floor is tough to work with. I used to have deep green so I am elated by white.

Going back to the stores on Wednesday-I have the day off and really want to find something. Maybe frosted mixed with polished white and clear glass?? Or maybe I can find a ceramic tile. For shape, I am liking the long and thinner subway rather than the standard or square. I don't love herringbone. I have ruled out the mosaic with thin lines-too linear. What do you think of the arabesque tiles? Too much?

My only concern with glass is that it looks more modern and sleek. I was originally after a very organic feel.

Thank you for any additional comments!!

• mayflowers
    6 years ago

If you like an organic feel, look at matte tiles. Sonoma's are beautiful. They have just the slightest sheen.

The longer subways are just a little bit more modern and a good choice.

• aprilneverends
    6 years ago

agree-long and thinner subway will be a great choice

as for arabesque-I personally love everything that reminds me of home including arabesque:) so I'm afraid my judgement might be a bit clouded here..

I'd say-depends where you live. And how deeply you love it. whatever reads as very natural in one house, can start getting on your nerves in other house.

I also love Sonoma. (besides Fireclay, Walker Zanger, Ann Sacks, Encore, and all the other great tile manufacturers there where plain subway is whatever I usually can afford lol..)

With arabesque, I'd be even more mindful about tile's quality.

I guess that's one of the reasons subway/squares are/were popular..harder to get them wrong when they're cheap.

(Even though I highly prefer handmade tile..it's just different. Even being one shape and one color-it will allow for a different effect when applied to a wall..very slight subtle variation so slight you won't always get why you love this tile so much-you'll just love it. It will seem more alive)

The more elaborate the shape is- the more visible any shortcomings will be. Usually. Might read as a bit fake. I'm trying to think now why..well probably because traditional shapes as arabesque are traditionally handmade?

Simple shapes-easier to imagine them being produced en masse. So we don't have the same expectation of them as we would from more elaborated shapes.

Glass mosaics-similar problem . Glass is plainly harder to get right. If you want to have dimension you need higher quality product. Or else it would fall too flat.

Having said that-I'm a bit pickier about tile, because ceramics etc is one of my favorite materials ever.

As for colors-yes I'd either repeat the countertop( white?) or cabinets(but would go lighter). So yes something in this warm white-to-tan realm. But same as you don't want to paint the walls because you feel they're great with your floors-you might feel the same about backsplash..it will be also vertical surface and will need to work with everything including your floors..

Sorry about the super long answer..and thank you for the opportunity to think out loud a bit..

I wish you great luck! looking forward to see your further choices in case you'll be in the mood to share them

• Stacey F
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After looking at a zillion backsplashes, I am back to white subway tile! It's what I like best for my space and over the long run, won't get tired of. Going to get a crackled glass one in 3x9. Sonoma has a nice one or looking at one other. Deciding my tomorrow and finally moving on. Thank you for all of your input!

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Please post your result. For those of us who frequent here, it is always fun to see the finished product. Also, we often try to help others and the tile you chose could very well be the thing that someone else needs.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals