SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinybluesparkles

1950s Kitchen Counter Help, Opinions wanted!

tinybluesparkles
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The time has come to replace our kitchen counters. I love them (White Formica with Gold Flecks!) but they are cracking where the laminate curves up the wall, staining something fierce and generally starting to look very sad.

We want to keep with the 1950s look, but don't mind choosing more modern materials if the look is right. I don't mind laminate, but I wouldn't want it up on the backsplash area this time. I like the way some of the solid surfacing looks (Corian and Avonite have some fun minty aqua colors!) and I do like some of the white quartz options. I really like the sparkly look of quartz- some of it reminds me of my beloved glitter formica!

I guess I'm looking for opinions- its hard to even narrow down what I'm leaning towards. Our home is very much a Midcentury Modest style, rather than modern and I like the idea of using humble materials. I don't know if I want to go full time capsule either- we did that with one bathroom and will do so with our second- but a something that doesn't look weird or out of place.

The floor needs to go to, but this is what we are working with:

Comments (21)