SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dasha81

Help with Family Room

Dasha
6 years ago
Just got these curtains and I like how they brighten the space but something feels off. I definitely want to change the wall color to a greige vs this yellow/green.

Any suggestions on spiffing up this space? I will add a palm and some greenery to the corner.

Comments (1K)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ok RH has a lumbar insert that is 14”x 22” perfect for your chairs...

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

you don't think 22" will be too wide?

• Related Discussions

help finishing family room

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks ladies. I would love to hire you to help create a complete visual for me. Can you send me information on how to work with you?
    ...See More

need help on family room ideas

Q

Comments (0)
    I bought a lamp that has a little bit of gra leopard because the couches are gray and love the lamp and pillows but I know I need more. I know the fireplaces bland with no color. And the pillows do now really go with lamp. Also I need something in corner where 2 pics are on wall
    ...See More

help me- family room

Q

Comments (4)
    Below are a few ideas from our designs that might help you with furniture options and layout options. It might be a good idea to look at getting a rug to ground the space, getting a sofa instead of a sectional, adding a lighter colored coffee table, and adding some side tables.
    ...See More

Help with family room, please.

Q

Comments (4)
    It should be easy for you to emulate your inspo pics for decor. As for seating arrangement, it makes sense to get a loveseat and create an L shape with the sofa and a shared side table and lamp. Add a large circular 48" ottoman I found for you (below) to center in the room. Get a small side table and a pouf as a footrest for the armchair. Open shelving on each side of the fireplace as suggested. Chinese bench remains. Invest in a large artwork for above the sofa. I have drawn a concept rendering attached that is not to scale. I did not measure the pieces. This Madison Park ottoman would be a great focal point in your family room.
    ...See More
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

i think i like the lumbar idea better than a full pillow

• PRO
    All Pro Construction
    6 years ago
    Dasha, stick with what you like. If you follow all the advices, soon you’ll be changing the location of your home ;)
    Your living room is lovely and very inviting. Don’t go over with all the changes, so you don’t hate it in a few weeks.
    Dasha thanked All Pro Construction
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, the ikat lumbar cover she has is 12"x20"....will that work with a larger insert or too small? i could ask for a finished size of 14x20

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Does she have a insert that works in the 12x20?

I like the lumbar to fit and fill the space a 20” finished size IMO will be to short.

Finished 14”x22” is what I would suggest...

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will ask if she can make one.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ooh, she sent me a photo of the striped one in lumber size. it's not blue, but to get an idea

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    Yes, turn the sectional to face the windows. It is better to block the kitchen than to block the front door.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ooh like that horizontal stripe in the lumbar..actually....in blue would be nice...what print did you decide on? Both are great

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Shoot, I don't know now! I was thinking Ikat but I, too, like the design of the stripe!!

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What I could do is order one design in two full 22" pillow and the other in lumbars and switch them up.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Win win! Great idea I think I like the horizontal stripe in lumbar better than in square...I would do square in Ikat....

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Dasha you are a blast!:))

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha, glad you think so Julie. DH would say I'm more of a hot mess express these days with this house stuff. :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

:))))

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi friends! So I’m pretty much done with the family room and kitchen with maybe a few tweaks down the road. A few updated pictures since the updates and paint changes. Love how everything has turned out!! :-)
  • krottmann
    6 years ago
    stunning...great job!
    Dasha thanked krottmann
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Those are some great "before" pics. When do you start? :-)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Dasha it is just lovely! :) love the lumbar they really look great...the art and plant are perfect!....well a floor lamp will do the trick and bring some light to that corner...great job it really looks wonderful:)

Dasha thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • shwshw
    6 years ago
    Very nice! Thought I would miss the red, but I don't. Well done.
    Dasha thanked shwshw
  • annsl
    6 years ago

Looks fabulous!

Dasha thanked annsl
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    So great! Love it all. Like the floor lamp, art and plant in corner. That fits well. Good job! Bruce, you are so funny! I think your inputs here are wonderful.
    Dasha thanked Flo Mangan
  • imhofan
    6 years ago

Beautiful! You should be proud! Enjoy many fun times w/family and friends!

Dasha thanked imhofan
  • therightlook
    6 years ago
    I like your decisions on the art lamp and plant trio. Looks all very cohesive.
    Dasha thanked therightlook
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so much for the sweet comments! I am really enjoying how everything turned out, all thanks to my friends here on Houzz.

Julie, funny story about the lumbars! Remember I ordered the other ikat pattern in the 24x24 size? Well, the pattern was gorgeous (even better than the blue stripes shown in my photos) but the 24x24 size was much too big for those chairs. So I asked the lady to exchange them for the lumbar size and she is making me new ones in the lumbar size. It will look awesome once done! I know some were not fond of the idea of a lamp in that corner but DH and I love how it turned out. So cozy and just adds a bit of character. :)

Bruce, don't even think about it! :) Oh my gosh, that made me laugh and go into cold sweats all at the same time.

shwshw, I thought I would miss the red too!! But not one bit! My mom asked me if I'm okay with all the "bland". Ha! "Neutrals, Mom. NEUTRALS! And I am LOVING it!" You know that you have made the right choices when others give you their opinion and you don't second guess yourself even one bit. :)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh boy Dasha a24” pillows is way to big....I thought you ordered 20” with 22” insert..or a 22” with 24” insert....so you are not keeping the stripe lumbar?

• suessdiane
    6 years ago
    Change the paint color to grey. Light or dark shades depend on the mood you wish to create. That being said, change the rug to a grey shade also. Separate the sectional and see how it works for you.
    I love the drapes also and the pop of reds on the mantel and the chair. Have Fun!
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Julie, I am keeping the blue stripe lumbar, I still love it. But the ikat works better in the space....it gives a much needed interesting pattern there and the colors match my couch pillows perfectly.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Oh good I love both the prints and will be great in the room together..but why another lumbar..why not a smaller pillow?

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think the lumbar will look better on the chair vs a smaller pillow.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ok so confused..stripe lumbar on chair and Ikat lumbar for sofa? Or Ikat for chair in a lumbar....no pillows for sofa?

yes always lumbar on chair...

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ikat lumbar on chairs. The sofa has pillows on it that I like. The striped lumbars will go on our foyer bench or on DH’s office couch.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Ok got it! :) nice you have the option to switch out the lumbar pillow from time to time...can’t wait to see the Ikat it is a really nice print.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Friends!! I’m back to share our “last” update incase you had thought we were actually done! :-) Ha

Since the fam and living rooms, we changed out our carpets upstairs and painted the bedrooms SW’s Accessible Beige. Our last hurrah was supposed to be hardwoods. So last weekend, we moved everything into the garage and basement and slept at my mom’s while the floors were being refinished. Come Sunday morning and we go check on the floors and the guy had destroyed them. The stain was blotchy everywhere and the entire perimeter had edger marks and grooves. It was a nightmare. The entire floor was done horribly. I don’t know if he rushed or was just careless. When we asked him to redo it, he refused, saying he was too busy and had other projects on his books. We parted ways with this guy and had to find a quality company to redo his mess. Fortunately, we found a trusted source quickly and got the entire job redone. This time, the stain and floors turned out beautifully.
    We have been in home reno mode for a year now and have had many contractors in/out of the house. All have done an amazing job. Of course, our very last update (and most uncomfortable because we had to move out!) we got burned. Argh...Murphy’s law.

Anywho, here are the new floors!! Thanks to Julie’s suggestion, we went with a 50/50 mix of Special Walnut and Dark Walnut. A gorgeous medium combo. The stain was finished with a sealer and 2 coats of Bona Traffic HD.

• kulrn
    6 years ago

Welcome back! Sorry about problems, but the floors are beautiful!

Dasha thanked kulrn
  • krottmann
    6 years ago
    Do you know how tall the space above your kitchen cabinets is, that you filled in with trim?
    It looks great, I have a similar situation, but I'm afraid the space might be too large for trim and too shallow for additional cabinet uppers.
    Pros...is there a general rule for trim to criling height?
    Thanks
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi krottman, I'm not a pro but I don't think there is a standard rule around the space above cabs.

Our space is approx 11.5". Our cabs are 42" so the space above was too small for a cabinet. I was also very nervous that our space was too large to finish off. Check out my idea book called "soffit" for examples (I don't know why I called it a soffit, it's just a gap :) I also have an idea book called "crown" with our kitchen if you'd like to see more views. I did a ton of research on this before finishing off that space and discussed the details with our carpenter to get his take (also Bruce was a huge help as always). Good luck on your project,

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Dasha- so sorry you had that awful experience but woohoo! Awesome floor job. More pics when you get back together please.
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More photos Flo?! Why, yes, I can do that!! :)
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Much better with your color palette, and it brings out the grain in the wood. BTW, I redid my Parents' Retreat project book on my Houzz page. We're still not done, but we're far enough along to see how it's supposed to look when we're done.

• Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    When it’s Saturday night and you’re waiting for the floors to cure. :)
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I see you have appropriate fluids avail. Lol
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Always!! :-) After that dramatic week, it’s a must.
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Just finished putting all the furniture back. Phew! That’s hard work, took us 3 hours. Note that DH is already on the couch, drinking vino. Haha. Loving our cute little house!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Thanks! That looks amazing! So much better than the yellow gold tones with your new things. Lovely! You must be so happy! Congrats!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Dasha...it looks so beautiful!

• krottmann
    6 years ago
    Stunning! It's so much fun to see the end result after following along!
  • Dasha
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!! We are definitely enjoying the changes. Can't believe it all started with just a "simple" kitchen update. :)

• DH
    6 years ago

Great choices. It has really come together well. Feels very calm and sophisticated.