Invasive Tansy(Tanacetun vulgare) is taking over Mn

dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

This nasty invasive yellow flower has over run the North Shore area between Duluth and Grand Marais. Now I see that it is rampant in Crow Wing county, along the County 12 bypass around Crosby-Ironton-Deerwood.

And today I eradicated a patch on highway 210 just east of Pillager. If you see small parcels of it, kill it now before it is too late.

Here is a pic showing what it looks like:

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrineff

Interestingly when we landscaped prior residence in St. Cloud ~2010 purchased tansy in a local nursery. Business has closed but that's how these issues begin, no?

1 Like Save     Thanked by dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Tansy may not get out of control inside a city limits. But it appears to get ugly real fast out in the country.

Found a patch along the road yesterday that was way too large to be able to dig by hand, so went home and filled the sprayer with ~3% Glyphosate(Roundp). Will have to wait and see if it kills.

Save    
terrineff

It was single plant in landscape bed edged w/ 5" wide poly. Had not spread into lawn by time we sold 4-5 years later. Makes me yearn for those days when maintaining weed-free yard not much work. Also makes me laugh to think of the proposed planting design for this property by landscape architect -- row of 20 yews would in short order been expensive deer salad. I could go on but very obvious, though renowned in this community hasn't worked with undeveloped land.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Planting Ideas Great Garden Combo: A Fall Landscape Scene That Lasts
Span the seasons with trees, shrubs and grasses that offer color and texture in abundance
Full Story
Ground Covers Give Your Lawn a Taste of the Wild
Consider the joys of an irregularly trimmed meadow lawn: It’s ecofriendly, visually interesting and still good for romping
Full Story
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More
Full service Design/ Build firm with over 15 years experience in kitchens, bathrooms, interior design, furniture,... Read More