SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

2 options for bedroom/bath addition - which is best?

bardzil
6 years ago

So I posted my plans yesterday and was given a new potential layout for the bedroom and bath we are adding (Bedroom 2 and Bath 2 which are located on the north side of the house at the end of the hallway). I'd like input on which layout people prefer. Also, if we go with the option with 2 closets, I'd like input on window/door heights (see below).

Option 1 -

Option 2 -
For option 2, the window/door height decision will be a little tricky. This is an expansion of a 1950s ranch with 8 foot original ceilings. We want higher ceilings so are raising the ceilings to 9-10' with the addition. However, the front wall of the home will not be torn down (its a building permit issue in our city). Therefore, we are keeping the front wall of the home at 8' walls. For Option 2, we'd slope the ceiling up to 9' and continue 9' across the room. The front windows of the home (the windows in the dining room, BR 1 and the Playroom) are all currently set at 6'8" since the walls are 8'. Therefore, to make sure the front windows align, the front window in BR 2 probably needs to be 6'8". However, we had been planning to install 7' doors and windows throughout house (other than the windows on the front) so that the windows and doors would be consistent in the rest of the house (and look good with the new mostly 9' ceilings). Therefore, the doors in BR will be 7'. Should we make the windows on the north side of BR 2 all 7' to match the doors (but then the front window would be the only one slightly lower?). Or should we make both the windows in the nook 6'8" and then make the larger window in BR 2 and the doors in BR 2 7'? I kind of like this second option because then the windows in the nook would align.

Thoughts on which option and what to do with the window/door heights if we go with option 2?

Comments (14)