SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Am I "enabling" the chipmunks?

catherinet
6 years ago

My garden is mostly in raised stocktanks. They are only on cement blocks that are 1-high. Here's is a pic of the kind I use:

The cement block is about 8" high with 2" thick wood on top of that. The stock tanks are about 12" high with a wide lip around the tops. My question is this. The chipmunks have been eating the tomatoes. I put chicken wire and or utility wire fencing around them, but of course, the chipmunks can easily climb up and over or through that. I'm removing all that fencing, but do you think they can still jump that 22", with that wide lip at the top?

Just curious if I've been helping them get up with the fencing (which was originally meant for the raccoons, but the electric fencing appears to be helping.) I've also just put my dog's fur and peppermint-oil saturated cotton balls here and there in the stock tanks.

Boy.......this year has been a challenge! I just picked all the tomatoes that are at least starting to turn pink, in case anything else can get to them. Unfortunately, I discovered even good-looking ones have raccoon nail holes in them.......and I don't really want to eat those now.

As Rosanne Roseannadanna used to say......there's always somethin'!

Just curious if the chipmunks would have a harder time getting up to the stocktanks, if I removed all that fencing. Thanks!

Comments (28)