SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Fall Rose Orders?

Even I, who forswore ordering any new roses, had to order two, since my La France turned out to be Mme. Leon Pain, and I must have La France, and when I heard that Florence Bowers was finally available in general commerce, I would have been insane not to order it. To me it is one of the most beautiful tea roses of all time, and I have the room since Mrs. B.R. Cant, with its bright red flowers, is being kicked to the curb as soon as Florence arrives.

Your turn, everyone, we all want to know who ordered what!

Comments (30)

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So far -

Etoile de Lyon,

Paul Nabonannand,

Alliance Franco-Russe,

Old Town Novato,

Mme E Souffrain,

Comtesse Festetics Hamilton,

Clementina Carbonieri,

Miss Atwood,

Arcadia Louisiana Tea,

Anna Olivier,

Devoniensis...all from Rose Petals Nursery, These are mostly ones I can't get from ARE locally. I also plan a small order of Austins from RU, not sure which ones yet. Anyway, I'll probably put in 20 or 25 new ones total.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked needmoremulch
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I had Miss Atwood, it grew quite large, and then for unknown reasons. declined. I think you'll like it, though. A very nice list.

• Related Discussions

Should I order roses now or wait till fall season?

Q

Comments (11)
    I used to think you couldn't plant in the heat. You can pot up any own root rose in hot weather and locate it where it gets some afternoon shade. YOu can mulch the pot and keep it moist. If you plant in the garden in heat you can ease the transition by giving it dappled light for several days or a week. I stick evergreen branches around the plant to create a little shade for a short period until it settles in. This works in NC where it gets in the 90's. I don't know how well it would work in TX or AZ. NJ it could work. I think rainfall is more crucial than low temps and you can simulate rainfall. Linda
    ...See More

New to roses- ordered for fall and shouldn't have?

Q

Comments (3)
    Try and cancel the order. Try really, really hard. It isn't just that it is late to try and establish small roses before winter, but I've tried to grow Sharifa Asma own root (and a fair number of other Austins), and don't go there. They actually do things like grow and bloom as budded plants, something they aren't keen to do as own-roots. If Palatine carries them, that would be my first choice. Otherwise David Austin in Texas has budded plants.
    ...See More

Info for fall rose order 2: best Warner roses?

Q

Comments (5)
    In my hot and humid climate, Eyes For You is a real winner. It's been 100% disease free, maintained a very leafy, pleasing bushy shape, repeat flowered constantly and has lovely perfume too. It's one of my best! I also have For Your Eyes Only, the blooms are lovely but it's not as floriferous as EFY, although it's not in a great spot. It's had a little black spot too. Looking forward to hearing what others recommend!
    ...See More

Last rose order until fall

Q

Comments (3)
    Our weather in southern Oregon dropped down into the 60s this week and rain so all the new roses that I planted are pretty happy with a little bit of adjustment time crazy weather though
    ...See More
  • portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

I'm waiting at the Palatine gate. Orders begin Sept. 11. As soon as fall stock is up on the website, I'll be checking the OGR list.

You, Lynn and John have seduced me. I've been researching Teas and Noisettes, trying to decide on one to add a bit more rose remontancy in my beds. My Duchesse de Brabant is becoming such a sweetheart, so I'm now leaning toward a pink tea. I may have to replace the withering Daphne odora with a Baronne H d Snoy. Your photos on that thread are gorgeous! I adore silvery pink roses combined with purple ones. Carol

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • User
    6 years ago

A pleasing topic...

...just a few to stop the withdrawal symptoms...

Ellen Willmott
    Mrs Oakley Fisher
    Lady Mary Fitzwilliam
    Scented Carpet

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

My choice has been pretty limited to the local nursery. I didn't see Florence Bowers available anywhere , do you know of a mail order nursery that will stock her this coming year ?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked berrypiez6b
  • needmoremulch
    6 years ago

Rose Petals had some Florence Bowers last time I checked.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked needmoremulch
  • berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Thanks Needmoremulch, I didn't notice Florence when I looked through Rose Petals' Tea list.

There are so many lovely choices, and it gets more difficult each time I read the forum rose news and see photos, but I think I have landed on two for sure that I want:

Deuil de Dr Reynaud

Duchesse de Rohan

I have been debating ordering Kaiserin Friedrich, wondering if it would be hardier than Gloire de Dijon. If only I lived in a warmer climate, Old Glory would be on my order list.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

I just ordered a Florence Bowers from Burlington and it arrived yesterday! Check with her, berrypie7. It's my first order from Burling and I was very pleased with the wonderful service and fast shipping!

I have a large semicircular, tall box hedge in my back garden with a set of stone steps in the center that has an arch over it. For 10 years I have been debating about which rose to plant in what is the absolute focal point of my garden.

I have decided on Florence Bowers...wish me luck!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

Roselady, that sounds like grand surroundings for a most perfect addition.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

I'm just ordering a couple replacements. A couple roses succumbed to RRD and a couple just gave up the ghost for no reason I can determine--I'm assuming they suffered winter damage and didn't fully recover when along came the unbearable heat of July, and that was just too much for them!

Here are the replacements I will order:

Molineux--an RRD casualty. To be planted with the other two Molineux which are healthy, to form one fuller bush)

Eden climber--maybe. It is an RRD victim. I tried the emergency surgery idea--trimmed it down to the base--will have to wait and see if it recovers.

1 Felicia--I was heartbroken to see my 2-year old Felicia suddenly turn all brown and die. I think the sprinkler must not have been reaching her all summer--or she had more winter-damage than I realized.

I may need to replace Mrs. John Laing and Elina which border the driveway. Two more winter-damaged roses that are barely limping along this summer--but I'll probably pick a different pink rose for Mrs. John Laing which is lovely but not BS resistant enough.

I'm trying hard not to add more roses to the garden, and to even reduce the total number by 1 or 2 each year. Getting to be too much work out there for this retired gardener. : )

Kate

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll be receiving my Florence Bowers from Burlington in October since it's much too hot to plant now, a service I appreciate. She is probably the most inexpensive vendor, worked for years as the right-hand person for the great Ralph Moore, and is a lovely and very professional person. She now accepts Paypal, which makes her the perfect vendor in my eyes.

Kate, I'm in the same boat, trying to eliminate roses rather than adding, but at the moment I'm doing both. The garden is so much more enjoyable when there are only enough roses for pleasure without more of the pain than one can handle. I haven't fertilized for at least the last two years, and have begun to believe that mulching with leaves and giving the roses enough water is enough to have a decent amount of bloom.

Rosylady, after having seen catspat's Florence Bowers on an arch I can only applaud your decision. Regular photos will be appreciated. I can envision your area very well and it should be spectacular with this rose.

• WildWhiteRose
    6 years ago

Ingrid, how funny I am welcoming Mrs. B. R. Cant just as you are removing it from your premises. I wanted a full bloom like the Austins (Queen of Sweden, etc) and also a non-climbing, vigorous rose in the general style of Florence Bowers' Pink Tea. Sorry the Mrs. B. R. Cant color veered to red instead of pink in your yard.

I really and truly hope that Florence Bowers' Pink Tea is a delight to you all giving it a home. That is one unusual and wonderful flower.

Besides Mrs. B. R. Cant, I received Alice Hamilton from A Reverence for Roses, and August is the end of my "fall" orders.

Justin

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked WildWhiteRose
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Does anybody know if Rose Petals Nursery are own-root? I can't find any mention of it on the website, thanks.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

Own root, lavenderlace.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Thanks so much Sheila!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • berrypiez6b
    6 years ago

I probably should add Reine des Violettes this year or I might never see it. I will need to hire someone young and strong to plant and care for the roses. It would be nice if a helper could come in the shipment.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

I forgot to add my fall ordering list as it stands so far. It's not very big as I ordered many roses this spring...but these are the ones I wasn't able to get then...or have lusted over during the summer :)

Ascot - have wanted this ever since I saw nanadoll's pics a few years ago. I need one more red to round out my "red bed" of roses

Bishop Darlington - hybrid musks do very well in my climate and suit my woodland setting

Clytemnestra - another more unusual hybrid musk

Port Sunlight - an Austin rose I saw this summer at the Portland Rose Gardens. It was planted in many places all over the garden, and it was absolutely beautiful in each spot. I would spy it from a distance and think, what is that beautiful orangy-apricot rose? It was Port Sunlight every time. The flowers are full of substance and have a beautiful inner glow which contrasts beautifully with the deep green foliage. The bush is a lovely shape, bushy and not too tall and full of healthy foliage. It also has a lovely scent.

I'm trying hard to restrict myself!

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • mariannese
    6 years ago

I'll order only one, Souvenir de la Malmaison. My husband reminded me of the one we had years ago so of course we must grow it again. I didn't know he liked it so much. This time we must find a perfect place for it, perhaps next to its white sport Kronprinzessin Viktoria that's doing well. Like berrypie7 I would order Gloire de Dijon if I lived in a better climate. I had it for three years with unusually warm winters. I've kept a scanned photo of it from pre-computer days.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mariannese
  • Brandon Garner St. Louis area z6
    6 years ago

Safrano

Soncy

Bon Silene

Niles Cochet

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Brandon Garner St. Louis area z6
  • User
    6 years ago

Duke of York

Rita Sammons

La Reine

• User
    6 years ago

Beautiful! I hope my La Reine blooms like that. Where did you get yours?

6 years ago

Mine was from Antique rose Emporium. It is new and has perfect health, vigor and rebloom. I'm really impressed by it. Is it related to Barbara's Pasture Rose? I understand better now why people rave about that rose too.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The rose and the pot in that color look gorgeous together. That is what we would expect an old pink rose to look like.

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

Agreed, Ingrid. Lovely combination.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Sheila, that's really stunning in that pot!

• User
    6 years ago

Jeri Jennings says Barbara's Pasture Rose is like La Reine on steroids.

6 years ago

I can see why Jeri recommends it highly because this regular one is so great.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    6 years ago

I'll have lots of new roses to admire next spring--I hope--without my having ordered any! How does one accomplish this miracle, you ask? Well, last winter we made a huge order from Petrovic. We've been in drought ever since, and while heroic watering from DH has kept many (most? I hope!) of them alive, they're only alive, and didn't bloom last spring. Or they bloomed a bit, but it was too murderously sunny and hot for me to venture out to look at them. So, assuming that most of them are still alive next spring, and have gotten enough precipitation actually to grow, I should see a lot of roses blooming for the first time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    6 years ago

no fall roses for me. I have two on order for next spring from RU. Guy Savoy and Henri Matisse. had them before and just got to have them again to go with Alfred Sisley and Grimaldi.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio